Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  19:32:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This morning (Friday Jan 8) I wrote:
However, the Holy Grail is going to be the 3-D, HD, Blu-Ray, no glasses, wide aspect system to be released by Phillips in 2011. That TV set will require quite a bit of new equipment for your home theater, and is not going to be cheap!
This very evening (still Friday January 8) I learn in news breaking that I should have written:
However, the Holy Grail is going to be the 3-D, HD, Blu-Ray, no glasses, and no electrical cord - wireless power wide aspect system to be released by Phillips and others in 2010. That TV set will require quite a bit of new equipment for your home theater, and is not going to be cheap!
This really might presage quite a sea change in electrical power distribution in the next few years!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  20:55:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

This morning (Friday Jan 8) I wrote:
However, the Holy Grail is going to be the 3-D, HD, Blu-Ray, no glasses, wide aspect system to be released by Phillips in 2011. That TV set will require quite a bit of new equipment for your home theater, and is not going to be cheap!
This very evening (still Friday January 8) I learn in news breaking that I should have written:
However, the Holy Grail is going to be the 3-D, HD, Blu-Ray, no glasses, and no electrical cord - wireless power wide aspect system to be released by Phillips and others in 2010. That TV set will require quite a bit of new equipment for your home theater, and is not going to be cheap!
This really might presage quite a sea change in electrical power distribution in the next few years!

There was a TED Talk about this technology last year.
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/eric_giler_demos_wireless_electricity.html
Perhaps a day when electrical outlets will see sooooooo last century.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  11:48:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw the movie....enjoyed the movie.

Yes it's Dances with Wolves or The Last Samurai in space (or Pandora anyway). I guess I'm just a sucker for that story because I fall for it every time.

Yes it was entirely predictable from start to finish. I knew what was coming.....but you know what....I couldn't wait for them to happen. I really enjoyed it. I saw the 3D version. Not a deep film but highly entertaining. Sometimes that's enough.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  14:26:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, for the love'a Gila Monster! Have these wankers nothing better to do?
Critics claims the story of a white US Marine who saves an alien race perpetuates the "white Messiah fable" and suggests that non-whites are primitives incapable of helping themselves.

Hundreds of blogs, YouTube videos and Twitter postings have sprung up on the subject since the film's release three weeks ago, with one writer dubbing the 3-D extravaganza "a racial fantasy par excellence".

Pretty lame, if you ask me.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  19:54:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Oh, for the love'a Gila Monster! Have these wankers nothing better to do?
Critics claims the story of a white US Marine who saves an alien race perpetuates the "white Messiah fable" and suggests that non-whites are primitives incapable of helping themselves.

Hundreds of blogs, YouTube videos and Twitter postings have sprung up on the subject since the film's release three weeks ago, with one writer dubbing the 3-D extravaganza "a racial fantasy par excellence".

Pretty lame, if you ask me.

That post-modern, pseudo-left criticism is itself racist and patronizing to all Na'vi.

Let's hear from the people of Pandora, not a few comfortable dilettantes here on Earth (the kind of people who think owning a dreamcatcher proves their sympathy to genocide-ravaged Native Americans).

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  03:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems that the Vatican isn't terribly thrilled with Avatar, either.

updated 9:41 a.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 12, 2010

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican newspaper and radio station have called the film "Avatar" simplistic, and criticized it for flirting with modern doctrines that promote the worship of nature as a substitute for religion.

L'Osservatore Romano and Vatican Radio dedicated ample coverage to James Cameron's big-grossing, 3-D spectacle. But the reviews were lukewarm, calling the movie superficial in its eco-message, despite groundbreaking visual effects.

L'Osservatore said the film "gets bogged down by a spiritualism linked to the worship of nature." Similarly, Vatican Radio said it "cleverly winks at all those pseudo-doctrines that turn ecology into the religion of the millennium."

You just can't get a better promoton than that!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  09:46:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd claims of racist undertones, considering that the invaders where depicted as mostly a bunch of yee-haws.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  11:50:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Avatar parody by Tom The Dancing Bug...

http://salon.com/ent/comics/tom_the_dancing_bug/2010/01/13/tom_the_dancing_bug
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  12:27:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That damn crippled old Ruben Bolling. Hasn't he got anything better to do with the time on his hands than to draw mocking caricatures of real live people - just like elementary school children do! He is just a juvenile boy in man's clothing!

Why in the hell doesn't he limp out and get a real job?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  18:49:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

That damn crippled old Ruben Bolling. Hasn't he got anything better to do with the time on his hands than to draw mocking caricatures of real live people - just like elementary school children do! He is just a juvenile boy in man's clothing!

Why in the hell doesn't he limp out and get a real job?
Indeed. Such sloth and waste! Why can't Bolling grow up and LEAVE THE BANKERS ALONE?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  21:28:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Avatar as a remake of Disney's Pocahontas...

http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  22:20:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I'd be interested to know how this plays without 3D and on a small screen. I mean, if you take away a big part of the wow factor, will the effects still be enough to make up for the films deficiencies?
No.

Well, I can't really say. I didn't see the 3D version, and I didn't see it big. But I'm used to my movies tiny and flat, and could tell that the CGI was astounding. It just wasn't astounding enough, and I want that two hours and thirty-something minutes back.

For one thing, even when I was a kid, it bugged me when there were 3D effects that were obviously in a movie just to get a 3D "wow" out of people. I'll be more impressed with 3D movies when "filmed in 3D" is no longer a selling point, just like nobody advertises anymore that their movie is in color (overemphasis of THX-type sound effects bugs me the same way). It was brand-new hammer syndrome.

But what bothered me the most is that the director showed us the shotgun on the mantelpiece over and over and over again, and when it was finally put into play, there were a few big booms and then it was knocked away to be forgotten under the couch. Not only that, but the protagonists didn't even know about it, it just fell into their laps at just the right time to save the day. So much could have been done with the premise, but it just winds up powering a deus ex machina crap-fest at the end.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  22:26:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I listened to the opening monologue of the film I thought to myself "This is terrible writing and terrible delivery". Honestly watch the opening monologue again. It's so bad. After that the film improved a lot, but it wasn't brilliant.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  02:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Throughout history, Europeans and their descendants have ravaged and plundered every continent they've invaded, is this not so? They've killed off or enslaved indigenous peoples and stripped away their resources, and continue to do so today.

River Otter bought me a DVD and I watched it. The plot was worn and threadbare, and the whole thing was predictable including the ending. The special effects, on the other-hand were terrific and it was a pleasure to see the descendants of Europeans get their ass' handed to them by the lovely, blue hippies, which is as it should be. And the boy got the girl; also as it should be.

Actually, I watched the flick more than once and plan to watch it again soon.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  06:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy,
In defense of my own ancestry I would like to offer some examples of non-Europeans ravaging and plundering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghengis_Khan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hawaii
in particular
A "multiple migration" theory suggests that there was a first settlement by a group called Menehune (settlers from the Marquesas Islands), and then a second settlement by the Tahitians.

In other words the Tahitians kicked the asses of the descendents of Marquesans and took over ruling the land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kamehameha_I

Notice that after the people get their asses kicked and after the military leaders are all dead the term goes from something like "ravaging and plundering" to "Unifying"

I'm sure I can find a lot more examples when time permits.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.