"How the Earth Was Made"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  14:19:24  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I had almost written off The History Channel as no longer offering anything not about (1) Nostradamus, (2) Destroying the planet in esoteric ways, or (3) Ghosts/Monsters, but I have been watching this show today and I'm pretty impressed. Each episode covers some aspect of how the Earth was made (Big Bang, Great Lakes, Earth from its formation to now, etc), goes as in-depth as we can expect from a 1-hour show, covers how the science developed from one step to the next, admits areas where the science is incomplete. In short, it's all I can expect from the type of show, and the network has partially redeemed itself to me.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  19:31:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo, I love this kind of science TV.

http://www.history.com/shows/how-the-earth-was-made/

That reminds me of The Making of a Continent on public TV in the 1980's about the geological history of the North American continent. Fascinating stuffs.
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/31/2010 19:35:26
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  20:04:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been watching the Iceland episode. It was a bit overly dramatic and repetitive. They take ten minutes to say what can be said within a minute.
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/31/2010 20:04:26
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  08:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I've been watching the Iceland episode. It was a bit overly dramatic and repetitive. They take ten minutes to say what can be said within a minute.

After they go to commercial and return, they take 3 minutes replaying in review what was shown before the break. All lost minutes of a viewers life, like the incessantly repeated commercials.

Maybe the History Channel and advertisers found, that's what works for the majority of their audience. Poor shows you think? Apparently not for History Channel viewers. When I look around, it's not that surprising. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  09:57:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
History Channel....Hmmm.

Well I really enjoyed America - The History of us.........and Pawn Stars.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  11:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a professor of mine once said, "The one important thing about education is that you must always repeat yourself. Repeating yourself is something you should always do."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  08:23:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more Ricky. Any information that's important is worthy of repetition to insure it being taken in, in a meaningful way. For some people it's a requirement. I too have just seen more than one episode. Whether it's during this series "How The Earth Was Made" or others, I don't see the repetition as trying to instill or drive home important information but as a way to cut production costs and filling the minutes on hand with out the work to provide additional material. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  15:15:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

...it's all I can expect from the type of show, and the network has partially redeemed itself to me.

I think the programs on the History Channel are a mix of in-house (History Channel) productions and also independent productions from various sources and studios, produced and sold to the channel. That's how we get the inconsistency in programming.

I too shun the Mumbojumbo-UFO-Big Foot-Ghosts-Nostradumbass shows they run yet found "How the Earth was Made" and "The Universe" to be pretty good. On the lighter side, I admit I also like "Pawn Stars" and "American Pickers" as well.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  22:37:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like any documentaries on Nat Geo or History or to be honest, almost any TV documentary on anything. They basically spend an hour bringing your knowledge of a subject up to the most basic level then leave you there.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 07/18/2010 22:38:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.