Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  02:23:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky
A five year jail sentence is not a "slap on the wrist".
Of course it is, considering he was facing life in prison for premeditated murder in the first place.

But it isn't as if Roeder put "Will murder abortion doctor on Friday" on his calendar. On the contrary, it is a reasonable assumption that Dr. Tiller had scheduled abortions on his.
It's not about reason. Quite the contrary.
From Filthy's post:
Kansas law defines voluntary manslaughter as "an unreasonable but honest belief that circumstances existed that justified deadly force."

It's my honest belief that murdering Scott Roeder is a reasonable step in order to protect workers at abortion clinics. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that killing Roeder cannot be considered murder according to Kansas law.

Having committed murder and holding onto a hate of abortion are certainly good reasons to suspect a person. But are they evidence? No.
In a US court I would definitely state I honestly believe it is...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  04:24:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I might briefly play the devil's advocate, Roeder has the right to present any defense he might have.

And therein lies the rub; juries being what they are, his could well decide to go with voluntary manslaughter instead of 1st degree homicide. The selection of that jury could be a drama in and of itself.

I don't think they will go for the shorter sentence, but who can say? After all, O.J. walked.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  08:58:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kansas law defines voluntary manslaughter as "an unreasonable but honest belief that circumstances existed that justified deadly force."

This is an accidental quote mine. The full law reads:

...that justified deadly force under K.S.A. 21-3211, 21-3212 or 21-3213 and amendments thereto.

Each 3211, 3212, 3213 mentions either unlawfully entering a dwelling, or imminent death or great bodily harm is perceived. In your case, you would not meet this criteria. I would also argue that Roeder does not as well, but he is certainly closer to it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  16:49:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then there won't be a problem that the judge opens for Roeder's defense to plead voluntary manslaughter. As Halfmooner noted, there's nothing wrong with considering the proposal. It most certainly will not go through, if the conditions you mentioned, Ricky, needs to exist for the plea to be valid.

But isn't it the prosecutor who finally decides if such a plea is acceptable or if Roeder is to be charged with premeditated murder?

Edited to add:
Each 3211, 3212, 3213 mentions either unlawfully entering a dwelling, or imminent death or great bodily harm is perceived. In your case, you would not meet this criteria.
Unless I work at an abortion clinic which is being picketed by people carrying more than just signs.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/13/2010 16:52:38
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  04:23:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has begun and Roeder's defense team is indeed going for voluntary manslaughter.

In an impassioned plea before a US court, a born-again Christian argued Thursday that he had killed a prominent abortion doctor because he wanted to save the lives of unborn babies.

Scott Roeder, 51, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder in the May 2009 slaying of Dr. George Tiller in the foyer of a Kansas church.

Instead in an unorthodox move he is seeking to convince jurors that he is guilty of the lesser offense of voluntary manslaughter, because he honestly believed he was saving people from greater harm.

"From conception forward it (abortion) is murder," Scott Roeder told jurors as he took the stand. "It is not man's job to take life. It's never up to man to take life -- except in cases of self-defense or defense of others."

Will the jury buy it? I dunno; they might. We shall see.....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  08:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The judge didn't buy it. Heard him speaking on NPR this morning. The judge said that (A) there was no "immanent danger" in a church on a Sunday morning and (B) voluntary manslaughter also requires that the immanently dangerous act that you are defending against be illegal, but abortion is legal.

So Roeder's request was rebuffed from two independent angles. You just know he's going to appeal the decision, though.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  08:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The judge didn't buy it. Heard him speaking on NPR this morning. The judge said that (A) there was no "immanent danger" in a church on a Sunday morning and (B) voluntary manslaughter also requires that the immanently dangerous act that you are defending against be illegal, but abortion is legal.

So Roeder's request was rebuffed from two independent angles. You just know he's going to appeal the decision, though.
Oh yeah, this is going to go on forever.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  08:57:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the print article on it:

"Filed at 10:34 p.m. ET

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) -- The judge in the trial of a man accused of murdering an abortion doctor dealt the defense a major setback Thursday, ruling that the jury cannot consider a lesser charge of manslaughter.

The ruling came hours after Scott Roeder took the stand in his own defense and admitted killing Dr. George Tiller, saying he acted to save the lives of unborn children.

Roeder's attorneys had hoped to win a lesser conviction of voluntary manslaughter, which requires them to show their client had an unreasonable but honest belief that deadly force was justified. The charge carries a considerably lighter sentence than murder.

Roeder testified that he considered elaborate schemes to stop the doctor, including chopping off his hands, crashing a car into him or sneaking into his home to kill him.

But in the end, Roeder told jurors, the easiest way was to walk into Tiller's church, put a gun to the man's forehead and pull the trigger.

Testifying as the lone defense witness, Roeder calmly explained what he admitted publicly months ago -- that he killed Tiller to save unborn children.

''Those children were in immediate danger if someone did not stop George Tiller,'' Roeder said as the jury watched attentively but without a hint of surprise.

''They were going to continue to die,'' he said. ''The babies were going to continue to die.''

Roeder has pleaded not guilty to murder in the attack at the Wichita church where Tiller was an usher. Witnesses have described how Roeder walked into the building's foyer on May 31 shortly after the service started, approached Tiller and fired a single shot before fleeing.

After Roeder's testimony, District Judge Warren Wilbert ruled that the jury would not be permitted to consider the manslaughter charge because abortion, including late-term abortion, is legal in Kansas and because Tiller did not pose an imminent threat.

''There is no immediate danger in the back of a church,'' the judge said. He also ruled out a second-degree murder conviction, which does not involve premeditation, because it was clear Roeder planned the killing."

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  09:43:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, I don't mind the legal case going on forever, so long as Roeder is kept behind bars as it does. Deserving of execution as I think he is, I prefer that life imprisonment is meted out for capital crimes. Whether Roeder appeals for the rest of his life, or settles down and accepts that he'll always be in prison matters little to me. If he lives a life of dashed hopes, perhaps all the better.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/29/2010 11:18:18
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  11:02:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just heard on NPR. Guilty of murder.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  11:17:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Just heard on NPR. Guilty of murder.
Yee-haw!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  16:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was having fun participating in the CNN comments to their article about the verdict.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/28/kansas.abortion.roeder.verdict/index.html?hpt=T2
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  17:11:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read that the jury was out for 37 minutes. Considering the known facts of the case (nailed dead to rights), I'm a little surprised it was that long. Now we get to enjoy the spectacle of the appeals.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  19:00:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Freaking right on. A beautiful day in court. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  04:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tough titty!
WICHITA, Kan. (AP)— Those living on the virulent edge of the anti-abortion movement pinned their hopes on Scott Roeder.

Testifying in his own defense, a remorseless and resolute Roeder insisted he had committed a justified act for the defense of unborn children by killing Dr. George Tiller, one of the country's few physicians to offer late-term abortions. It was a bold legal strategy that, if successful, had the potential to radically alter the debate over abortion by reducing the price for committing such an act of violence.

When it failed, those who share Roeder's passionate, militant belief against abortion were outraged: One said they are getting tired of being treated as a "piece of dirt" unable to express the reasons for such acts in court. So while relieved at the outcome, abortion-rights advocates worry a verdict that should be a deterrent will instead further embolden those prone to violence.

"Many of those who came here in his support will be key to making (Roeder) a martyr for their cause _ all in furtherance of advocating deadly violence," said Kathy Spillar, executive vice president of the Feminist Majority Foundation.

Unfortunately, this won't even slow the anti-choice crowd down. They'll whyine and bitch about it, and probably knock off a few more physians as toime goes on. So much for deterent punishments....

I hope they lock Roeder up in a super-max.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.