Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  12:50:45  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SH3TPeEh0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2TN4ZSBm8&feature=related

from the daily telegraph:

Nick Pope, a former Ministry of Defence UFO analyst, said it was "one of the most extraordinary UFO clips I've ever seen".
"At first I thought this was a reflection but it appears to move behind a power line, ruling out this theory."
A spokesman for aerospace journal Jane's News said: "We have no idea what it is."

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  13:38:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what it is either, not for sure, but watching it put a thought in my head. I think it might be one of those abominable plastic shopping bags caught in the wind, soon to end up defacing a tree.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  15:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OFFC.....

Damned if I can see any flying object in those night videos, much less an Unidentified one. Maybe it was an IVO (Invisible Flying Object) There is very little evidence for these phenomenons! My local chapter of UFO Believers International discusses IFOs every Thursday night. We are attempting to bring them to the attention of the general public in the hopes that more blind folk will see and report them!

The daytime "object" sure looks photoshopped to me! What do you think, Mooner?
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  15:58:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't know why you're having problems seeing it, it's clearly a triangular pyramid or tetrahedron shaped object hovering and slightly rotating.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  17:10:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Run for your lives! It looks like they have returned!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  18:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the night video it strikes me wrong. The "pyramid" seams too clear and has no features on it. It doesn't move in any way that makes sense. The daytime is very fuzzy, though you can see the shape and it doing that weird rotation.

If I had to bet I would say it was CGI, really good CGI. Most likely a promotion of some type.

But if this turns out to be real that would be very cool.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  18:58:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are among the least-inspiring or convincing UFOs I've ever seen videos of. Compared to the wonderful spiraling Russian rocket captured on Norwegian videos, there just no sense of awe there.

My impression is that the UFOs shown at night in the OP's links are merely lens flare type effects. There are plenty of obvious lens flares accompanying them.

The last part of the second video shows that rotating triangle in daylight. That looks like some kind of simple fakery, such as a piece of paper stuck to a pane of glass in the mid-foreground that is being slowly rotated by hand. Probably a copy-cat effort inspired by the nighttime lens flare UFO.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  19:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a balloon, tethered in the middle of one edge to give it "that weird rotation," especially when coupled with the motion of the car (for which there is, at times, no referent).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  19:43:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's a lens effect, I've never seen a lens flare produce a solid shape like that, and it appears to have texture on the surface too, also the other lens flares move when the camera shakes relative to the background scenery, the pyramid doesn't.

It could be a balloon but the movement doesn't seem right, it's only a short clip, but there's no bobbing or swaying. A large object being moved over a long distance by strings wouldn't have such a mechanical rotation, the way it moves is all wrong, it goes from stationary to rotating with no visible acceleration, then stops dead, almost as if it's a computer generated animation, although I have no idea how something like that could be projected into the sky so clearly.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  20:17:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It could be a balloon but the movement doesn't seem right, it's only a short clip, but there's no bobbing or swaying.
I see swaying. I don't know why there would necessarily be bobbing if the wind isn't strong.
A large object being moved over a long distance by strings wouldn't have such a mechanical rotation...
Who is saying that it's being moved by strings?
...the way it moves is all wrong...
How many tetrahedral tethered balloons have you seen?
...it goes from stationary to rotating with no visible acceleration, then stops dead...
I see no such starting and stopping, it looks to me to be in constant motion, spinning and swaying in a slight breeze.
...almost as if it's a computer generated animation, although I have no idea how something like that could be projected into the sky so clearly.
If you're going to posit computer generation, then the simplest explanation is that it only exists in the video.

Of course, these days, computer generation is the easiest explanation of all. Especially when nobody else seems to have seen the thing. Or at least, they didn't see anything worth posting to YouTube.

By the way, this person cracks me up with his claim, "CGI can not produce these effects!" And user masimijork seems to be refusing to say whether it's real or fake, which leads me to believe that it's fake.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  21:56:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Who is saying that it's being moved by strings?

Well you said the movement was due to a tether, i.e. a cable, rope of some sort. At least that's what I think you were implying. You said tethered to the middle of one edge, I'm not sure how a tether attached to the middle of one edge could cause a steady rotation of this kind unless you care to explain that in more detail.

How many tetrahedral tethered balloons have you seen?

None, but that doesn't mean I can't infer how one would move.

I see no such starting and stopping, it looks to me to be in constant motion, spinning and swaying in a slight breeze.

I don't see swaying, only rotation, in fact in the first half, ignoring rotation, it appears completely stationary, if it were moving in a breeze you would expect some kind of movement with reference to the fixed landmarks, my problem with this is that it is too still.
Also if it were a tethered balloon I would not expect the rotation to be about the object's centre point as it appears to be in the first half of the video. The point of rotation for a tethered balloon would be much lower than the balloon's centre, which would cause it to move vertically and laterally as well as rotate, which it doesn't appear to be doing certainly in the first half of the video

This is why it reminds me of a 3d rendering such as you would get on an old screensaver. It doesn't stop and start as I thought though, I was mistaken, that was just them running the tape backwards.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  01:52:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

don't know why you're having problems seeing it, it's clearly a triangular pyramid or tetrahedron shaped object hovering and slightly rotating.
To me it looks like an unidentified object inside the car reflected in the windshield.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  05:49:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

To me it looks like an unidentified object inside the car reflected in the windshield.
Then it would move with the car, but it doesn't go shooting across town when the car makes a turn. The object moves with the minarets.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  06:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still clinging to the shopping bag speculation, possibly (probably?) done as a hoax. The wind does curious things in a setting with tall buildings about.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  08:04:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a ballon to me.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  16:08:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A spokesman for aerospace journal Jane's News said: "We have no idea what it is." >>

It's either mass hysteria, or a contrived hoax. No alien in it's right mind would want to visit this fouled-up orb.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.