New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  12:46:29  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first of ten theories

1. There are no mysteries, just misinformation and incomplete investigation.

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  13:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

Also, the sky is blue.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  13:51:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So, what?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  14:43:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

1. There are no mysteries, just misinformation and incomplete investigation.>> cantbe323>>

Also, the sky is blue. >>

You're lucky. Our sky is raining...

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  15:34:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does mysteries mean the unknown?

Does misinformation mean incorrect information?

And what does incomplete investigation mean?

A better way to phrase what I think your trying to say is:

Everything is knowable, but people don't always fully understand and don't investigate fully.

In which case I would have to agree with the first part only if time is infinite, and investigations never stop until the end of time.

In really you don't have time for eternal investigations, or for hunting down every mystery out there. As long as we don't know everything there is mystery to investigate. And there is so much knowledge now it is hard to understand every mote of it.

But I have a feeling you are not interested in testing or debating a theory that is stated more like an assumption. In fact it is an assumption and not a testable theory.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  11:11:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

1. There are no mysteries, just misinformation and incomplete investigation. >>

So, what? >>

It's okay to be grouchy as long as we're still friends.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  12:34:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

1. There are no mysteries, just misinformation and incomplete investigation. >>

So, what? >>

It's okay to be grouchy as long as we're still friends.

cantbe323
Whaddya mean; "still?"

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  19:55:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. There are no mysteries, just misinformation and incomplete investigation. cantbe>>

Does mysteries mean the unknown? >>

That as well as ghosts, goblems, all other imaginary things

Does misinformation mean incorrect information? >>

incorrect, exaggerated, handed down from generation to generation...

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  20:01:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's okay to be grouchy as long as we're still friends. cantbe323>>

Whaddya mean; "still?" >>

Okay, Friendly enemies then. I hold no grudge.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  14:30:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

Does mysteries mean the unknown?

Does misinformation mean incorrect information?

And what does incomplete investigation mean?

A better way to phrase what I think your trying to say is:

Everything is knowable, but people don't always fully understand and don't investigate fully.

In which case I would have to agree with the first part only if time is infinite, and investigations never stop until the end of time.

In really you don't have time for eternal investigations, or for hunting down every mystery out there. As long as we don't know everything there is mystery to investigate. And there is so much knowledge now it is hard to understand every mote of it. >>

Here's the rest of them...

2. Realization that nothing appears out of nowhere, that there is a long sequence of related events leading up to every situation.

3. Realization that everything begins with an event we have no control over. Sometimes we react to it, sometimes we don't, depending on how important it is to us.

4. Realization that buzzwords can make us react, even though they are only words.

5. Realization of the way things are, not the way we want them to be.

6. Realization of our weaknesses and strengths.

7. Realization that we can't control, we can only lead or suggest.

8. Realization that we CAN be manipulated by those we assume are more intelligent or more sophisticated than we are.

9. Realization that we're ALL actors, but some are more convincing than others.

10. Realization that all important decisions are made on the basis of insufficient information.

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  14:37:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
11. Realization that sentences no verb.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  15:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

11. Realization that sentences no verb.

That beneath you, Dave. :D

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  12:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
11. Realization that sentences no verb. >>

Picky, picky, I never claimed to be a professional writer.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  14:14:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Picky, picky...
There's nothing else to do with what you've written but pick at it. None of it is written with antecedent or consequent, so it's all just a big ball of meaning-free fluff. The ideas for which I can supply my own meaning are simply restatements of the obvious. But I'm sure you think it's all somehow profound.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  14:32:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of it is written with antecedent or consequent, so it's all just a big ball of meaning-free fluff. The ideas for which I can supply my own meaning are simply restatements of the obvious. >>

Thanks I appreciate your feedback. Your statement that everything I wrote is obvious means that you have more experience than I first thought. I'm not sure but isn't this the first time you didn't ask me to prove something?

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  17:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Your statement that everything I wrote is obvious...
You misread my statement.
...means that you have more experience than I first thought.
Seems like a pretty low bar.
I'm not sure but isn't this the first time you didn't ask me to prove something?
Nope, you're mistaken in that, also.

How about that debate? Have you picked your subject?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.31 seconds.