New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  13:32:06  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geologists claim they know what causes earthquakes but can't prove it

Meteorologists claim they can accurately record the average world temperature but they can't prove it.

Astrophysics claim there's black holes, expanding universe, and a big bang, but they can,t prove it.

It seems that just the word of a recognized scientists is all that's needed to be believed.

cantbe323

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  13:35:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Name a truth about something other than yourself which can be proved.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  14:10:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Name a truth about something other than yourself which can be proved.>>

Good point... The difference is scientists get paid for their unprovable theories, I don't.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  14:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  14:18:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious cantbe323, are you a Apollo moon landing denier?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  14:22:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes >>

Tells it all, doesn't it. My favorite is...

There's none so blind than those who will not see.

BTW, posts for me don't appear on my E mail. How do I get them?

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  14:25:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes >>

Tells it all, doesn't it. My favorite is...

There's none so blind than those who will not see.
BTW, posts for me don't appear on my E mail. How do I get them?

cantbe323
Agree.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  14:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just curious cantbe323, are you a Apollo moon landing denier? >>

Not at all. I was working on the S2 up until the first launch. With all the problems they had, it's a wonder it got off the ground. The only thing that saved it was independent contractors at the Mississipi test facility.

Cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  15:03:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"If evolution is true, you could not know that it's true because your brain is nothing but chemicals. Think about that."
-Kent Hovind >>

So true... Autopsy scientists know it's mush, but you can't get anyone else to believe it.

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  16:01:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"If evolution is true, you could not know that it's true because your brain is nothing but chemicals. Think about that."
-Kent Hovind >>

So true... Autopsy scientists know it's mush, but you can't get anyone else to believe it.

cantbe323

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  16:58:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Name a truth about something other than yourself which can be proved.>>

Good point... The difference is scientists get paid for their unprovable theories, I don't.

cantbe323
If nothing can be proven, then everything is unprovable and absolute proof becomes a ridiculous and unattainable metric by which to measure truth claims. That's why scientists themselves never claim to prove anything absolutely. But we can achieve very high degrees of probability to the point where doubt becomes unreasonable, and a great many scientific theories have attained such a status. So I would say that your personal standards are not pragmatic and basically useless, and we'd be foolish to discard the findings of science because they don't reach a level of absolute certitude which you admit is possible to achieve anyway.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  20:50:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

-Kent Hovind >>

cantbe323

Holy Crap!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  08:10:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not at all. I was working on the S2 up until the first launch. With all the problems they had, it's a wonder it got off the ground. The only thing that saved it was independent contractors at the Mississipi test facility.

Cantbe323

Please provide evidence that this is accurate information.
It seems that you expect that just the word of an un-recognized scientist such as yourself is all that's needed to be believed.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  12:16:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Astrophysics claim there's black holes, expanding universe, and a big bang, but they can,t prove it.
I don't see what you problem is, here. Yes, a "big bang" is generally thought to best explain the data (=facts) available. Moreover, later data have been in accords with predictions made. It's a pretty robust theory. If you disagree, please put forward an compelling interpretation of the data as we have it...
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  12:59:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, lessee.
We can use theories that have the potential to be proven or disproven, because they actually refer to, and are therefore contingent on, something.

Or we can use ideas that can never be proven or disproven because they don't refer to anything and are therefore not contingent on anything.

The latter we've had for thousands of years. Amounted to a quagmire of superstition, horror and early deaths.

The former we've had for a few hundred years. Lifespans have tripled and with higher standards of living, and we have accomplished amazing things.

Your call, I suppose, but science grows while non-science stagnates. Are you on the road or left in the dust.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 01/24/2010 13:01:42
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  13:02:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

If you disagree, please put forward an compelling interpretation of the data as we have it...
He's got none, Cune, because it's beside the point. cantbe can only criticize science for not being able to "prove" things, because the methods used aren't 100% accurate or reliable. But, of course, he's not willing to apply the same criticism to his own claims, to engineering, or to take his position all the way to its philosophical and logical conclusion: that there's no "proof" that last Wednesday occurred (a weak form of Last Thursdayism). To do so would invalidate his own life experiences, which he ironically thinks should be good evidence for at least some of his assertions. So he's forced to fall back on a cowardly selective contrarianism so he can feel smug and superior to random strangers on a small Internet forum.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.