Olbermann shamed by Stewart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  11:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jon Stewart's reaction to Olbermann.

Or you can just skip to Keith Olbermann's apology, because he replays the entire Stewart clip.

See also Ben Afleck's Saturday Night Live send-up of Olbermann, from long ago.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  12:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, Olbermann is a gasbag with whose words I often agree, and sometimes don't. But it's fairly clear to me that he plays for controversy and ratings, not for truth.

It seems to me that it could well be that he and Glenn Beck are birds of a feather: Their political stances are meant to irritate rather than to inform, and are calculated to further their careers. If I'm right, their supposed politics have nothing much to do with their ideals, if any. I vaguely recall a 1960's radio call-in host who was a flaming liberal when he worked in conservative Orange County, California, but immediately turned ultra-conservative when he went to work for a San Francisco station.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  21:02:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least Olbermann did make more of an apology to Stewart than Hannity and Beck have. Hopefully that counts for something?
Edited by - podcat on 01/25/2010 21:02:33
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  21:54:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

At least Olbermann did make more of an apology to Stewart than Hannity and Beck have. Hopefully that counts for something?
Yeah, it does. Especially since he didn't go for a notpology, which would have started "I'm sorry, but..." followed by excuses.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  22:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, that was kind of classy -- as well as humorous.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  01:41:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner.....

It seems to me that it could well be that he and Glenn Beck are birds of a feather: Their political stances are meant to irritate rather than to inform, and are calculated to further their careers. If I'm right, their supposed politics have nothing much to do with their ideals, if any.
I don't know how or why anyone could or should care about their personal politics, both KO and Beck were hired and are paid to get ratings. NBC decided some time ago that the Fox business model was a damn good one and set out to copy it with their own rabid liberal spokesman to garner an audience that was outraged by O'Reilly and Sean Hanitty's success as spokesmen for the Reactionary Republican Right and Murdoch conservatism!

It sells better than liberalism, and apparently has better salepeople! This infuriates me and is one of the reasons that I am a bitter old man (as Bill scott points out) seething with indignance at the fact that the ignorant conservatives of this country seem to be winning the culture wars!

I, for one, am damn glad that somebody is on the air opposite O'Reilly and Hanitty, and on the liberal side of things! Whether KO and Maddow personally are liberals or not seems immaterial, as long as they are effective in communicating the liberal viewpoint (incidentally bringing in the big bucks for themselves.)

I loath and despise Limbaugh, Beck, Ingraham, Hannity, Coulter, Miller, and O'Reilly; not for their personal politics which have no effect at all on national politics; but rather for the Murdoch/Ailes politics that they are paid to promulgate on TV, and which definitely have an effect on the cognitively challenged "folks" that are their audience.

Olbermann can't bring in the astounding ratings that Billo, and now Beck, do: but his show has sure brought MSNBC way up over CNN!
The walking dead geriatrics that make up most of Fox's audience can't and don't think or they wouldn't be a FOX audience. This Zombie vote seemed important back in the Bush/Cheney days, whether it is now will certainly be displayed in this fall's midterm elections!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  03:01:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Mooner.....

It seems to me that it could well be that he and Glenn Beck are birds of a feather: Their political stances are meant to irritate rather than to inform, and are calculated to further their careers. If I'm right, their supposed politics have nothing much to do with their ideals, if any.
I don't know how or why anyone could or should care about their personal politics, both KO and Beck were hired and are paid to get ratings. NBC decided some time ago that the Fox business model was a damn good one and set out to copy it with their own rabid liberal spokesman to garner an audience that was outraged by O'Reilly and Sean Hanitty's success as spokesmen for the Reactionary Republican Right and Murdoch conservatism!

It sells better than liberalism, and apparently has better salepeople! This infuriates me and is one of the reasons that I am a bitter old man (as Bill scott points out) seething with indignance at the fact that the ignorant conservatives of this country seem to be winning the culture wars!

I, for one, am damn glad that somebody is on the air opposite O'Reilly and Hanitty, and on the liberal side of things! Whether KO and Maddow personally are liberals or not seems immaterial, as long as they are effective in communicating the liberal viewpoint (incidentally bringing in the big bucks for themselves.)

I loath and despise Limbaugh, Beck, Ingraham, Hannity, Coulter, Miller, and O'Reilly; not for their personal politics which have no effect at all on national politics; but rather for the Murdoch/Ailes politics that they are paid to promulgate on TV, and which definitely have an effect on the cognitively challenged "folks" that are their audience.

Olbermann can't bring in the astounding ratings that Billo, and now Beck, do: but his show has sure brought MSNBC way up over CNN!
The walking dead geriatrics that make up most of Fox's audience can't and don't think or they wouldn't be a FOX audience. This Zombie vote seemed important back in the Bush/Cheney days, whether it is now will certainly be displayed in this fall's midterm elections!
You have some good points, bngbuck. Whether a network talking head, a Creationist, or a vax-denier actually believes what they are saying is difficult to know, and is probably ultimately irrelevant in the larger picture. What they do say is accessible data, and is far more important than whether or not they are deliberately lying.

The personal ethics and mindset of someone making public statements still matters to me, though. I think this less-ponderable element of motivation may be predictive of the truthfulness and accuracy of their future statements. But I accept that's just my own opinion.

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  13:12:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, Olbermann is a gasbag with whose words I often agree, and sometimes don't. But it's fairly clear to me that he plays for controversy and ratings, not for truth.>>

You could say the same thing about politians, TV and movie makers, and advertising.

It seems to me that it could well be that he and Glenn Beck are birds of a feather: >>

Except that one is certifiable and the other at least sane.

<<Their political stances are meant to irritate rather than to inform, and are calculated to further their careers. >>

They have to give the people what they want to keep their jobs.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  21:37:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that's a nice thing to say. You shouldn't be calling Beck certifiable (even if it is true).
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  21:51:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yeah, it does. Especially since he didn't go for a notpology, which would have started "I'm sorry, but..." followed by excuses.

You mean something like this?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-12-2009/sean-hannity-apologizes-to-jon

I suspect the writers had some fun with that bit...
Edited by - podcat on 01/26/2010 21:52:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.