Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 Did I miss something about climate change?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  19:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I bet you missed Himalayagate.

Micheal Coren didn't.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:46:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man Cune, not your best post or a winning strategy for disseminating you position to those your trying to inform. (but I'm not perfect either)
Let's not forget on a global basis, our fossil carbon foot print is getting bigger daily. Meaning everyday we add MORE fossil carbon than yesterday and it's not because the few of us here see the issue differently, people.
I think the problem is real. Please, can anyone look at this chart an say what it shows or the trend, has no impact? I'd like to hear it.

http://co2now.org/

SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:02:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, are there no freaking pictures of these glaciers over the decades to present? With the 1000's of reports mentioned, you mean to tell me there are no pictures? They're screaming that these glaciers are melting and there's not even vacation photo's. How hard can that be, showing some pictures. I'll look for some. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:29:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pic's

http://www.ingilizcesitesi.com/t.g.warm.pic.html

http://archive.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2005/01/29.html

http://www.greendaily.com/photos/global-warming-in-pictures-1/600789/

where is all that ice going? In to freezers all over, your local store's and garage freezers the world over. Well, at least in garages all over america and home refrigerator/freezers the world over. growing. Thousands more coming your way daily. Now this is progress that is sustainable. Here's to a brighter future. I sure this is nothing. SS

[Edited to fix links - Dave W.]

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:47:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Originally posted by Dave W.

I bet you missed Himalayagate.
Micheal Coren didn't.
Of course not. And he expects someone to be fired over a silly mistake that had zero impact on the summary for policy makers. A $50 punishment for a 50-cent crime.

I bet if a large asteroid were heading towards Earth, Coren would be in the group with pitchforks and torches, storming the observatories and jailing the astronomers.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  04:25:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little more evidence -- I've been wondering about this:
Global warming makes trees grow at fastest rate for 200 years

Forests in the northern hemisphere could be growing faster now than they were 200 years ago as a result of climate change, according to a study of trees in eastern America.

The trees appear to have accelerated growth rates due to longer growing seasons and higher concentrations of carbon dioxide
in the atmosphere. Scientists have documented the changes to the growth of 55 plots of mixed hardwood forest over a period of 22 years, and have concluded that they are probably growing faster now than they have done at any time in the past 225 years – the age of the oldest trees in the study.

Geoffrey Parker, a forest ecologist at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Centre in Edgewater, Maryland, said that the increase in the rate of growth was unexpected and might be matched to the higher temperatures and longer growing seasons documented in the region. The growth may also be influenced by the significant increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide, he said.
Not as spectacular as a calving glacier, perhaps, but still another brick in the wall. I'd like to know if it holds true world wide.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  07:12:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

Showing once again that the right wing media is completely incapable of understanding argumentation.

This was a poll of the American people, not the right wing media

The popularity of a position with the general public is not an argument on the truth or falsity of it.

I never said that it was. I said that whether true or not, it was last on the list of concerns for Americans according to the latest pew poll. Americans are more concerned over our lose of morals then man made global warming anthropogenic climate change.

The one even more insignificant than the other from a scientific standpoint. None of those "gates" have any effect on the scientific consensus on climate change, nor should they.

Nor does any scientific consensus have any effect on climate, or it's change, nor could it.

Yet 2009 was one of the warmest years on record.

For who?

Showing once again that hard mathematical terms like "average" or "variance" are apparently very hard to understand for people like you.

It's not hard for me to understand. I just find it rather funny that you actually have faith in the averages and variances that you compare.

Again completely irrelevant to the scientific evidence in favor of anthropogenic climate change.

But completely relevant in the court of public opinion, which is crucial for advancing any man made global warming anthropogenic climate change agenda in todays political environment. It reminds me of the famous fable of the boy who cried wolf. Folks can only take so much of the elitists in the man made global warming climate change crowd flying around in private jets, riding through blizzards in their stretch lemo to get to the man made global warming climate change summit, running up private utilities bills that could power a small town before they begin to tune out the man made global warming climate change alarmists shouting and lecturing. See folks can only take being lectured to by a fat man who flies private jets and vacations on a fossil fuel burning yacht about personal sacrifice for so long before they just dismiss him. Al Gore has become the Benny Hinn of the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change movement. Shoot I would not be surprised if Al and Benny's private jets passed each other on more then one occasion as they both hop from town to town raking to the dough. See Al can run through all the computer models up on power point that he wants to but as long as he has the perception that he don't walk the talk then he is just the Benny Hinn of the man made global warming climate change movement.

Because of course, when the American people believe that the earth is flat, the earth is fucking flat, damnit!

You have completely missed the point. Your going to have to have the American people believe that the earth is flat before you can advance your flat earth agenda, politically at least. Same with the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change agenda. If the folks ain't on board then it will be tough to advance the cause in the public and political arenas. What I am saying is that currently Americans are more concerned with our lose of morals then with any man made global warming anthropogenic climate change agenda, so, politically speaking, it is currently dead.

But yes, it is problematic that the American public is apparently as clueless about climate change as it is on a whole sloth of other scientific issues.

And you really gain ground on advancing your man made global warming climate change agenda with insults. (sigh) Well that and Al (Benny Hinn) Gore out there flying around in his private jet and the monstrosity of lemo's parked out front of the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change summit during a blizzard did not help.

What I do find interesting on the polls is that especially older Americans reject the scientific consensus, while younger Americans are more likely to accept it. Furthermore, the views of these younger Americans apparently have not changed, with 30% of this population thinking the media portrayal of the issue is overstated. Not surprising, since they'll have to deal with the problems the old fucks left behind. It also gives some hope for the future that the younger generation (<30) may be better scientifically informed.

Your theory that older Americans reject the man made global warming climate anthropogenicchange agenda simply because they hold a belief that they will not be around to have to deal with the aftermath is flawed. Older Americans are extremely alarmed about the current and rising total of our national debt. They are much more concerned with the effects it will have on their children and grand children's future then they are worried with their own future. See the moral of the story is not that older Americans dismiss issues that they see as not having a negative effect in their lifetime, but that older Americans are greatly concerned with future generations when they see a credible risk or threat at hand. See, right now they just consider man made anthropogenic global warming climate change to be less of a threat to future generations then the lose of morals. And so my fine feathered friend the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change agenda has lost in the court of public opinion and it consensus.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Edited by - Bill scott on 02/02/2010 07:55:40
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  08:15:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't go by the polls, Bill, especally polls conducted on the American populace. Most of us are scientifically illiterate dummies.
Science News

American Adults Flunk Basic Science

ScienceDaily (Mar. 13, 2009) — Are Americans flunking science? A new national survey commissioned by the California Academy of Sciences and conducted by Harris Interactive® reveals that the U.S. public is unable to pass even a basic scientific literacy test.

Over the past few months, the American government has allocated hundreds of billions of dollars for economic bailout plans. While this spending may provide a short-term solution to the country's economic woes, most analysts agree that the long-term solution must include a transition to a more knowledge-based economy, including a focus on science, which is now widely recognized as a major driver of innovation and industry.

Despite its importance to economic growth, environmental protection, and global health and energy issues, scientific literacy is currently low among American adults. According to the national survey commissioned by the California Academy of Sciences:

•Only 53% of adults know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.

Sad, ain't it, but the fact is that the people being polled haven't the loosest grasp upon what they are being asked. To use these polls for a reference looks pretty good but by their very nature are just another Argumentum ad Populum logical fallacy.

How many days does it take to hustle the Earth around the Sun, hm? Inquiring minds want to know....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/02/2010 08:18:39
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  08:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Can't go by the polls, Bill, especally polls conducted on the American populace.

I can't go by the polls when evaluating the current landscape of public opinion? What barometer would you use?

I never said, nor implied, that the pew public opinion poll dis-credited the man made global warming climate change agenda. I merely stated that this was overwhelming evidence that in the court of public opinion the folks rank man made global warming climate change dead last, basically rendering it a moot point. As we have seen with Obamacare, when the agenda being pushed does not resonate with the folks it is very tough to ram any policy through, so, publicly and politically speaking the man made global warming climate change agenda can be labeled as DOA. Not good for the up and coming cap and trade bill. The politicians will then have to explain in their 2010 midterm election bid why they raised the costs of the folk's energy, in the middle of a severe recession, over an issue that the folks considered to have very little importance.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  10:51:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is another issue that I have become numb about.

If the fucking imbeciles of the world continue to believe this is some hoax and is not an urgent matter, I really no longer care.

If the governments of the world don't get their shit together in spite of the retards like Bill who deny anthropogenic climate change, then in 10 years I will just be buying a large bit of land in Canada or maybe Norway, something close to the artic circle, a bit of permafrost that will become amazing farmland when the US midewst is a giant desert, when Orlando and London are islands, and the North Sea is the new Med.

I'll also be switching my 401k (if the world enonomy doesn't totally implode) (meager as it is) into companies that are making those giant CO2 scrubbers capable of removing a few metric tons of CO2 an hour from the air, and other such things.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  11:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

How many days does it take to hustle the Earth around the Sun, hm? Inquiring minds want to know....

Trick question, America says ,,,, "ZERO". It takes the sun one day to hustle around the earth. Been the same for 6000's years now. Look up, any idiot can see that. SS

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  11:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

This is another issue that I have become numb about.

So has the American public, according to Pew. Like I said, charts or no charts, when Al lives like a heathen all while preaching sacrifice his sky is falling message starts to fall on deaf ears.

If the fucking imbeciles of the world continue to believe this is some hoax and is not an urgent matter, I really no longer care.

That was my point, sort of. Whether they believe the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change alarmists or not, the latest pew poll shows that Americans do not care about man made global warming anthropogenic climate change. And here we have a man made global warming anthropogenic climate change alarmist himself who does not even care anymore. That is why I am saying cap and trade faces a stiff uphill climb and one could make the case that man made global warming anthropogenic climate change is a moot point. At least in the public and political realm of opinion it is.

If the governments of the world don't get their shit together in spite of the retards like Bill who deny anthropogenic climate change,

So the governments of the world can't get their story straight because of me?

then in 10 years I will just be buying a large bit of land in Canada or maybe Norway, something close to the artic circle, a bit of permafrost that will become amazing farmland when the US midewst is a giant desert, when Orlando and London are islands, and the North Sea is the new Med.

And here is one of the reasons I believe most folks have grown numb to the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change alarmists cries. These over the top and totally unfounded and baseless claims such as the mid-west being a dessert or Orlando becoming an island, ALL IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS. As one who resides in the mid-west we are in the middle of a much colder then normal winter, which we have had for 3-4 years in a row now. We just had the coldest July since the keeping of records, and your trying to convince these folks that 9 years from now they will be living in the tropics. Most ain't buying it. That and the elitists man made global warming anthropogenic climate change people who fly private and ride in limo's all while preaching sacrifice to the masses. They don't help the cause either.

I'll also be switching my 401k (if the world enonomy doesn't totally implode) (meager as it is) into companies that are making those giant CO2 scrubbers capable of removing a few metric tons of CO2 an hour from the air, and other such things.

What about the offshore wind farms?

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

It takes the sun one day to hustle around the earth.

Would this be before or after we reach the point of no return in the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change cycle?

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:27:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

where is all that ice going? In to freezers all over, your local store's and garage freezers the world over. Well, at least in garages all over america and home refrigerator/freezers the world over. growing.

Where did it all go at the end of the last glacial age?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  13:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

And here is one of the reasons I believe most folks have grown numb to the man made global warming anthropogenic climate change alarmists cries. These over the top and totally unfounded and baseless claims such as the mid-west being a dessert or Orlando becoming an island, ALL IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS.
But Dude didn't say that. He said he'd buy in the next 10 years, and that the disasters would occur after that. And he's right.
As one who resides in the mid-west we are in the middle of a much colder then normal winter, which we have had for 3-4 years in a row now. We just had the coldest July since the keeping of records, and your trying to convince these folks that 9 years from now they will be living in the tropics. Most ain't buying it.
Nobody is trying to convince them of that except the denialists who want people to believe that the scientists are just crying "wolf!"

That's almost the whole problem. The scientists are quite rationally stating that unless we do something now, our grandchildren and their grandchildren are going to feel the pain. But the people with the big microphones are shouting that the scientists are forecasting doom and gloom "IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS," so the scientists' actual message is ignored in favor of the ravings of anti-science lunatics and corporate boot-lickers. The only "hoax" around the AGW issue is the nonsense spewed by the denialists.

And it's funny you should mention the "totally unfounded and baseless claims such as the mid-west being a dessert" when that's exactly what it was a little less than 80 years ago. So another part of the problem would seem to be people's short memories.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds.