Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Sorry Brian, but it's already well known.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  08:39:46  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That ancient, stone age man cared for the sick and injured and even performed amputations and trephining is well documented. But trust ICR to have to change their panties when a new one is found.
Surprising 'Stone-Age' Surgery Evidence Found in France
Share this Articleby Brian Thomas, M.S. *
An unexpected report has recently surfaced of a successful and sophisticated Stone-Age amputation.1 In an early tomb found south of Paris, France, scientists uncovered the remains of a man who was missing an arm. Their examinations revealed that it had been cut off just above the elbow and had healed over, indicating that he lived for perhaps several years following the successful surgery.

The Times reported that “the patient seems to have been anaesthetised, the conditions were aseptic, the cut was clean and the wound was treated.”1 The technical report was published in the journal Antiquity.2

ICR News has reported several finds indicating that Stone Age people were surprisingly modern in their knowledge and accoutrements, including Stone-Age jewelry and makeup, and high strength glue and stone knives from even earlier in man’s history.3 This most recent discovery adds further evidence of their sophistication—not only did Stone Age people know how to accessorize, but according to archaeologist Cécile Buquet-Marcon, “they obviously had medical knowledge.”1

Ok, Mr. Thomas, me ol' codswalloper, where was you when "Nandy" was found in the Shanidar caves in Iraq, back around the '50s? I read about him in, I think, NG not long after the papers were written.
The Shanidar Cave site is most famous for having two skeletons, I and IV. Shanidar I was an elderly Neanderthal male known as Shanidar I, or ‘Nandy’ to its excavators. He was aged between 40-50 years, which was considerably old for a Neanderthal, equivalent to 80 years old today, displaying severe signs of deformity. He was one of four reasonably complete skeletons from the cave which displayed trauma-related abnormalities, which in his case would have been debilitating to the point of making day-to-day life painful. At some point in his life he had suffered a violent blow to the left side of his face, creating a crushing fracture to his left orbit which would have left Nandy partially or totally blind in one eye. He also suffered from a withered right arm which had been fractured in several places and healed, but which caused the loss of his lower arm and hand. This is thought to be either congenital, a result of childhood disease and trauma or due to an amputation later in his life. The arm had healed but the injury may have caused some paralysis down his right side, leading to deformities in his lower legs and foot and would have resulted in him walking with a pronounced, painful limp. All these injuries were acquired long before death, showing extensive healing and this has been used to infer that Neanderthals looked after their sick and aged, denoting implicit group concern. Shanidar I is not the only Neanderthal at this site, or in the entire archaeological record which displays both trauma and healing.

The French find is very interesting and I intend to look it up somewhere the information is not filtered through a Flooded lens. But it's really no more than another page in the evolutionary book.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  08:49:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not clicking on an ICR link, so what's their problem with this?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:22:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

I'm not clicking on an ICR link, so what's their problem with this?

It would be easier just to hold your nose, like I did, and click the link.

Anyhow, they are trying to fit it in as proof for a young earth, as they do with everything else. Pretty weak, if you ask me.

But, it jarred loose the memory of the Shandihar find and gave me the excuse to drag it out and nail it up.

I'm not at all sure, but judging from the photo, the French find was Cro Magnon or sapiens. There looks to be no brow ridge and the forehead seems a little high for a Neandertal. But I'm not an expert.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:30:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, it's sapiens. The guy is some 6,900 years old and missed out on the Great, Big, Fat Flood. As did Nandy.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems to me and my addled evilutionist brain that technologically advanced Stone Age peoples would be strong evidence for an Old Earth.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.