Who killed health care reform?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  03:32:06  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The White House."

DR. MARGARET FLOWERS: Well, what we learned through this process is there was a lot of control coming from the White House. And they did not- they wanted to pass something. They were putting everything off on passing something in health care reform. And they were concerned that if we let the single payer voice in, or if it was associated in any way with a legislation, that it would hurt their ability to pass that legislation. So they kind of put the kibosh on it.

BILL MOYERS: The White House.

DR. MARGARET FLOWERS: Yes, it really came down from the top. We tried to bring our viewpoint in this summer. We actually brought doctors and nurses in. That was a lot of what I was doing, to meet with staffers and meet with legislators and educate them about health policy, what makes good sense from a health standpoint, not an, you know, special interest standpoint. But when we tried to reach the White House and ask to be included there, we requested meetings with the president on numerous occasions. And they just said no.

Add more deaths and suffering to Obama's list of first year accomplishments.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  09:10:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's great to protest for a single payer system. I'm for a single payer system. It's the way to go. But it won't pass congress. You keep faulting the president for stuff that he can't make happen. Look at the lies that were told about him and the public option, right from the floors of both houses of congress, and you start to see what Obama is up against. But go ahead and blame him if it makes you feel better. It's not realistic, but heads must roll I guess...

We would have gotten a single payer system if Obama didn't have to deal with blue-dog democrats, Joe Fuck-Everyone Lieberman and every single republican. But in your eyes, it's all Obama's fault. I don't get it.

Just how much do you think one man can do against so much opposition?

I say keep pushing for it. I am. But to keep blaming Obama for what went down is to ignore all of the other players who worked to guarantee that it wouldn't happen.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  10:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a corrupt system, and Obama is not the only part of it, but he is a part of it. He doesn't work for you or me.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  12:03:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

It is a corrupt system, and Obama is not the only part of it, but he is a part of it. He doesn't work for you or me.

It sounds like you're proposing that some person or group should change the system, but from outside the system itself. I believe the only option that leaves is revolution. Or am I missing something?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  12:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

It sounds like you're proposing that some person or group should change the system, but from outside the system itself. I believe the only option that leaves is revolution. Or am I missing something?

Well, the shell of a democratic system exists. Revolution only means change.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  13:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What changes do you propose? How can criminals be prevented from holding public office?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  14:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

What changes do you propose? How can criminals be prevented from holding public office?

What do you propose?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  15:25:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.

What do you propose?
You seem to be defending change. What changes do you propose?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  11:45:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

All we know about it is that this gentleman says it will not be televised.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.