Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  15:35:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

Your deviousness also speaks volumns. There is no such information available and you know it. Scientists aren't about to publish anything that would pin them down. They may be in deniel, but they're not stupid.

cantbe323

Everything you wrote in the above quote is the opposite of reality. >>

Thanks (sob) that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

cantbe323

You obviously know nothing of science. In all of it's many forms, it is among the most competitive and cut-throat discipline extant. If a scientist doesn't publish all of his/her findings, be assured that another surely will, including any and all of the embarrassing parts.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  16:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You obviously know nothing of science. In all of it's many forms, it is among the most competitive and cut-throat discipline extant. If a scientist doesn't publish all of his/her findings, be assured that another surely will, including any and all of the embarrassing parts. >>

I know enough about science to question what works and what doesn't work, and IMO that's all a skeptic needs to open a debate.

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  16:53:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You obviously know nothing of science. In all of it's many forms, it is among the most competitive and cut-throat discipline extant. If a scientist doesn't publish all of his/her findings, be assured that another surely will, including any and all of the embarrassing parts. >>

I know enough about science to question what works and what doesn't work, and IMO that's all a skeptic needs to open a debate.

cantbe323

Do you think that scientists don't know this and never follow up on it?

Neither your "opinion" nor mine means anything more than squat in debate. You've got to back that opinion up with factual information. This you have yet to do.

Until some supporting information is produced, mere opinion falls into the same category as antidotes. Anecdotes are not conformation of anything but the teller's ability to speak, and are therefore worthless as any sort of evidence.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  17:08:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I know enough about science to question what works and what doesn't work...
No, actually, you don't. You have to know what the scientists are actually saying to be able to question it. Otherwise, like you, your questions simply demonstrate your ignorance, and aren't relevant to the science at all. Of course, since you start with flat-out wrong ideas of what science is and what scientists do, you will never be able to ask an intelligent question about any scientific finding.
...and IMO that's all a skeptic needs to open a debate.
Yet you refuse to do so.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  00:18:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You, sir, are no skeptic.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  05:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Inhofe's 400 Global Warming Deniers Debunked
List of "Scientists" Includes Economists, Amateurs, TV Weathermen and Industry Hacks

Link 14

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  07:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave W

If you know where to find the base line temp, please let me know. I've checked every source I can think of.

It's in every scientific discussion of rising temperatures. It's even in the caption to the famous hockey-stick graph. It is ubiquitous, but you can't find it. That speaks volumes.

Cantbe
Your deviousness also speaks volumns. There is no such information available and you know it. Scientists aren't about to publish anything that would pin them down.

When I read your absolute refusal to see the information that you seek reminds me of the quote you love to spout:

"None are so blind as those who refuse to see."

Cantbe

They may be in deniel, but they're stupid.

Number 1: Normally I ignore misspellings, but since you've repeated the same misspellings of various words time and time again, allow me to point out that "denial" is spelled D-E-N-I-A-L... as in your denial to back up your crap.

Number 2: Learn how to quote. I can't respect anyone who claims to be some brilliant intellect (don't try to deny it) who can't even master basic formatting and spelling.

Frankly, you're a gutless turd. You pussed out from faxing your brilliant diagram, and tried the pathetic excuse that you were sparing the receiver from having his worldview shattered? Please. Spare me.

Either shit or get off the pot.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  14:37:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:02:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

CantbeThey may be in deniel, but they're stupid.
Number 1: Normally I ignore misspellings, but since you've repeated the same misspellings of various words time and time again, allow me to point out that "denial" is spelled D-E-N-I-A-L... as in your denial to back up your crap.
The funnier bit in that sentence of his is that he clearly meant, "...but they're NOT stupid." So along with his vowel movement, he forgot a rather important word.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:31:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Fripp

CantbeThey may be in deniel, but they're stupid.
The funnier bit in that sentence of his is that he clearly meant, "...but they're NOT stupid." So along with his vowel movement, he forgot a rather important word.

Yes, and forgot to vipe afterward....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:40:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yeah, I saw that, but I decided not to harp on that because I've done the same thing various times. That's why the Preview feature is so valuable. It's amazing that he can't even grasp what "preview" means.

I don't like to nitpick at typos, but its obvious that he can't spell denial correctly (along with other words) because he consistently misspells them. Since he won't man up and enter into any sort of debate, nor answer Q's or provide supporting evidence, I consider his misspellings fair game.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  18:03:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funnier bit in that sentence of his is that he clearly meant, "...but they're NOT stupid." So along with his vowel movement, he forgot a rather important word. >>

My editor's fault, not me. I gave him a good scolding.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  18:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My editor's fault, not me. I gave him a good scolding.

cantbe323

Avoiding answering the questions as usual. Your attempts at humor are as lame as your "critical" stances of science

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  19:08:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until some supporting information is produced, mere opinion falls into the same category as antidotes. Anecdotes are not conformation of anything but the teller's ability to speak, and are therefore worthless as any sort of evidence. >>

Oh, I don't know about that... IMO, Many scientists have been lauded and even given Nobel prizes for theories with no demonstrable, credible evidence, just their exalted words.

Back in the early fifties, Dave and I sneaked into a huge UFO meeting in LA. All the famous scientists were there. One scientist got up and made a long speech about dietetics, used the word several times, and the silent audience of scientists just nodded.

Another scientist finally corrected him. "You mean Dianetics, don't you professor...?"

The speaker smiled, continued his speech with the corrected word.

We looked at each other in disbelief, shrugged, and quietly left.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  20:26:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Back in the early fifties, Dave and I sneaked into a huge UFO meeting in LA. All the famous scientists were there. One scientist got up and made a long speech about dietetics, used the word several times, and the silent audience of scientists just nodded.

Another scientist finally corrected him. "You mean Dianetics, don't you professor...?"

The speaker smiled, continued his speech with the corrected word.

We looked at each other in disbelief, shrugged, and quietly left.
That's the example you give to justify your distrust of scientists? A story about a bunch of anonymous "scientists" who were obviously Scientologists at a UFO whack-job gathering? That's it? Seriously?

There are plenty of scientists who are loony-tunes, but the majority are not. Generalizations of this sort often fail, for good reason.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.