As a species, we suck!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  06:49:31  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As we all know, the great, big CPAC circle jerk went down the other day, complements of the John Birch Society. Did all of the folks in attendance have a wonderful time, wallowing like tapirs in the mud of ignorant rhetoric, their waggeling snouts aimed toward glorious, political reincarnation?

They certainly did; some of them begging for more.
RT @daveweigel: RT @mattklewis: RT @KuhnCNN Overheard at #CPAC10 by a college aged girl: "do you think Reagan is going to talk soon?

If he does, toots, you should pay your psychic double.

I didn't put this in Humor, where at first blush it seems to belong, because at a second scrutiny, it ain't all that funny. Rather it is a commentary on the scale of ignorance rife in the country, and by extension, the world. All too many of us believe in crap of one sort or another and seldom bother to substantiate said crap. The critical thinking that has served us so well since probably the days of H. habilis, possibly earlier, has been more and more ignored in the times of H. sapiens. In modern times, it has become a faint voice crying out in a wilderness of mindless blather. All we have to do to confirm that is crank up the tv news or read Drudge. Or any YEC apologetics, for that matter.

Gibbering propagandist baboons like Beck and Limbaugh, Coulter and O'Reilly seem as prolific as guppies as they spread their rot throughout the countryside, spawning like-minded lackwits in their wake. And we allow them to do that with no more repercussions than a few frustrated sighs, hand-wringing, and a little angry scolding on boards such as this one.

My apologies to the baboons of the world. Y'all don't deserve that comparison. Neither do the guppies, comes to that.

Yeah, the young lady is waiting for Reagan, I can't fathom why.
I heard many of that confused, old laundry bag's speeches and frankly, he wasn't all that great. Oh, he was well enough spoken, even passionate at times, but to my mind, he lacked substance. He also began the countries bankruptcy program so well picked up and continued by Bush. To speak further ill of the hallowed dead, his flicks weren't all that great, either. When he finally croaked, the national IQ rose by half a point.

I'm sure that someone told the sweet lass that St. Ronnie wasn't scheduled to speak at that event, but possibly he will at the next one.

Yeah, we suck.....

And that concludes the rant for this week.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  14:13:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good rant, filthy. I see it as sort of a mixed bag though. We are capable of reaching for the stars, of discovering the wonders of the universe, of sublime beauty in the arts, of acts of true nobility. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, a startling percentage of the population not only prefers to wallow in the muck, they revel in it. So we soldier on, trying to cast light into the shadows of ignorance (starting with our own), calling bullshit where it needs to be called, and trying not to let the morons drive us crazy.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:50:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After Reagan speaks, John Lennon will sing. For some of you to young to remember. Yes! John was in a band before "Wings". SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  12:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CPAC, apparently, was full of fun. Someone thinking Reagan would be speaking is just the tip of the iceberg. Bob Barr got booed for saying that waterboarding is torture.

It's sorta like a limbo contest, where the people who go the lowest win. Heck, a guy named Ryan Sorba took a dump on the conference organizers for allowing a gay Republican group to have a booth at CPAC. In the words of Ed Brayton,
This guy is such an asshole that even his fellow conservatives think he's an asshole.
The people who booed at him probably won't be winners, but a commenter on that thread implies that he was booed by people who were waiting for Ron Paul to speak (CPAC was running late as a whole, apparently).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  13:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty insane, isn't it? The last thing the country needs is another of these sociopathic fools (remember Bush? Miss him yet?) in high office.

I recall seeing Reagan several times being interviewed wearing a checkered suit. It was obviously an expensive set of threads, but it still made him look like a used car salesman. Go figger.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  20:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of when a Republican National Committee member submitted a ten-point purity test. Since Reagan had stated that people who agreed with him 8 out of 10 times was his ally, a candidate who disagreed with three of the ten points would not be considered for RNC support. The only problem? Reagan would have failed to get RNC support....

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/500305/reagan_would_fail_purity_test_proposed_for_gop
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  11:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had the interesting experience of talking with people who think that listening to celebrity entertainer Beck is listening to the news. No wonder they're world view is so screwed up.

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 02/22/2010 11:20:15
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:19:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thor.....

I have had the interesting experience of talking with people who think that listening to celebrity entertainer Beck is listening to the news.
How old were they?

I'm serious. I have a host of notes in my reference material about the advanced age demographics of Fox news viewers, all of which state or suggest that the average Fox News viewer is pretty old - at least as compared to other cable news like MSNBC or CNN. I'm curious if your (or any other member) has personal or anecdotal evidence that either confirms or refutes the widely held opinion that Fox News is predominantly watched by older (over 50) people. I'm not completely sure that is true.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.