Utah again!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  05:44:13  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First they want to have their schools produce dullards, and now this:
A bill passed by the Utah House and Senate this week and waiting for the governor's signature, will make it a crime for a woman to have a miscarriage, and make induced abortion a crime in some instances.

According Lynn M. Paltrow, executive director of National Advocates for Pregnant Women, what makes Utah's proposed law unique is that it is specifically designed to be punitive toward pregnant women, not those who might assist or cause an illegal abortion or unintended miscarriage.

The bill passed by legislators amends Utah's criminal statute to allow the state to charge a woman with criminal homicide for inducing a miscarriage or obtaining an illegal abortion. The basis for the law was a recent case in which a 17-year-old girl, who was seven months pregnant, paid a man $150 to beat her in an attempt to cause a miscarriage. Although the girl gave birth to a baby later given up for adoption, she was initially charged with attempted murder. However the charges were dropped because, at the time, under Utah state law a woman could not be prosecuted for attempting to arrange an abortion, lawful or unlawful.

The bill passed by the Utah legislature would change that. While the bill does not affect legally obtained abortions, it criminalizes any actions taken by women to induce a miscarriage or abortion outside of a doctor's care, with penalties including up to life in prison.

"What is really radical and different about this statute is that all of the other states' feticide laws are directed to third party attackers," Paltrow explained. "[Other states' feticide laws] were passed in response to a pregnant woman who has been beaten up by a husband or boyfriend. Utah's law is directed to the woman herself and that's what makes it different and dangerous."

Must be something in the atmosphere; all that Mormon miasma wafting about maybe, I dunno. I do know that if you are pregnent and drive a car; like to go fishing; do gardening, and so forth, you'd be wise to avoid Utah, just in case....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  06:57:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Must be something in the atmosphere; all that Mormon miasma wafting about maybe, I dunno.
I can tell you that the lake gets pretty rank, sometimes.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  10:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

I do know that if you are pregnent and drive a car; like to go fishing; do gardening, and so forth, you'd be wise to avoid Utah, just in case....
Filthy, living in a state up west that boundries Utah and Montana and is itself a anachronistic regression to the idyllic life and times of Ronald Reagan's Republican Renaissance; I would encourage visitors to take pictures but stay in your car! Although the wildlife can be wild indeed, the beasts of the forests are docile creatures compared to the indigent residents.

We not only have Skinhead enclaves, active John Birchers, The True Catholic Church of Pope Pius XIII - Lucian Pulvermacher; and more TeaBaggers than San Francisco, West Hollywood and Montreal's Le Village combined; but also thousands of Tabernacle suburbanites - exile Jack Mormons who tend to be rabid republicans.

These extremely peculiar people may be the strangest nuthatches of all up here in this panhandle retreat of the seriously deranged. They consider their "faith" a cafeteria to pick and choose benefits they like and disdain restrictions they don't care for. They openly brag about their 'first' wife who herds all the others (whores and girl friends), they own and run coffee/tea stands, drink like alcoholic fish; but freely talk about the Book of Mormon as equal in supernatural significance to either book of the Bible, and generally act as though they are practicing and believing moron Mormons. Talk about a hypocrisy within a hypocrisy!

I suggest that this entire portion of the West and Northwest is a big reservation for retarded hebephrenics, and it would be wise to restrain your conversation if you visit to admire the scenery or visit a lunatic relative. And for the love of Moroni, don't get into discussions of religion or politics!

Yes, but then there is Texas! I thank FSM for my blessings!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.