Wait for it...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  14:21:33  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although this has no relationship to their ridiculous quackery, I wouldn't bet against the homeoquacks to claim this as 'evidence' for their stupid belief.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  15:16:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. the homeopaths will almost without doubt try to take credit.

But there's a huge difference between carefully building up tolerance, and using utterly nonexistent amounts of a substance in a homeopathic ritual relying upon "magical thinking."

The scientific clinicians will gradually increase the amount of peanut while observing carefully for ill-effects. Homeopaths actually consider their nostrums to be more potent if they are more diluted.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Lloyd
Skeptic Friend

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  09:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bob Lloyd's Homepage Send Bob Lloyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it true that there was a homeopathic patient who forgot to take his medication and suddenly died of a massive overdose? :)

The UK Science and Technology Committee has just published its Evidence Check on Homeopathy which makes interesting reading. It was tasked with checking that government policy was evidence-based and looked also at whether homeopathy should be funded by the National Health Service.

It hammered homeopathy and said the government should shut down its homeopathic hospitals, stop funding it through the NHS, and that the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency should stop rubber-stamping homeopathic products. All very damning stuff but the UK government will most likely ignore it. On the regulatory bodies associated with quack treatments, there are often representatives from bodies allied to the Prince's Foundation for Integrated Health, which helps promote these quack remedies.

But more importantly, this is an election year for the UK and the politicians, regardless of party, won't let ethical principles, scientific facts, or honesty get in the way of telling fibs to get votes. So they will welcome the report, then quietly bury it. But at least it's published and in the public domain.

I've written about the report here: http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/homeopathy-exposed-in-uk-government-report/ for anyone interested.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  14:45:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob, interesting write up about the report. I posted a link to it on Facebook. Hope you don't mind.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Bob Lloyd
Skeptic Friend

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  12:18:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bob Lloyd's Homepage Send Bob Lloyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more the merrier

The more people who read the report and its conclusions the better though the people most influenced by homeopathic beliefs are those most likely to avoid it.

One good thing is that the report specifically targets therapies based on the placebo effect so it applies equally to Reiki, acupuncture, etc.
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  13:58:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Although this has no relationship to their ridiculous quackery, I wouldn't bet against the homeoquacks to claim this as 'evidence' for their stupid belief. >>

It doesn't matter who suggests it, or what they call it, as long as it works and doesn't hurt. That's the only evidence that counts.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  15:16:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

Although this has no relationship to their ridiculous quackery, I wouldn't bet against the homeoquacks to claim this as 'evidence' for their stupid belief. >>

It doesn't matter who suggests it, or what they call it, as long as it works and doesn't hurt. That's the only evidence that counts.

cantbe323

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

AnthroGeek

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  16:37:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AnthroGeek a Private Message  Reply with Quote

seriously?

The evidence that counts is actual efficacy based on scientific methods not testimonials.

By your logic if I sacrifice 3 goats and feel better - as did my neighbors who recomended it - then that is all that matters, as long as I get well.

Also, try looking up "placebo affect".

A series of fun one-liners about various pseudoscientific claims and, even better, a concise description of the scientific method - Ken Feder on Skeptic Friends Network from "Frauds, Myths and Mysteries"
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  06:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bob Lloyd

Is it true that there was a homeopathic patient who forgot to take his medication and suddenly died of a massive overdose?

Now THAT is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

aaron28

3 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:21:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send aaron28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's kind of funny that somebody who forgot to take their medications would overdose trying to catch up. That's actually pretty believable. I'm sure it has happened before. I can name at least ten celebrities who you might believe me if I told you they did it.

Short Term Health Insurance
stock forum
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  22:19:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by aaron28

That's kind of funny that somebody who forgot to take their medications would overdose trying to catch up. That's actually pretty believable. I'm sure it has happened before. I can name at least ten celebrities who you might believe me if I told you they did it.
Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, aaron28!

The joke wasn't about dying of taking too much of a real med to catch up. It's the idea that taking none at all might overdoes you.

The joke works because homeopathic "drugs" are often so diluted that they contain nothing at all but water. These are actually touted by homeopaths as becoming more potent the more they are diluted. Thus, by that logic, taking none at all would logically be an overdose. (Badabing.)

(Gotta watch out for some of the tricksy humorists here at SFN. Some of these bastards try to fool people.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  00:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why can't people agree on how to spell yogurt/yoghurt/yogourt?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.