Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  11:32:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Brayton has some cautionary comments here about people calling the Pentagon shooter a rightist or a leftist.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/11/2010 11:34:59
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  12:54:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

I have a Ruger Mark III Hunter with the 6 7/8" barrel.

I also have a 5" Springfield Loaded Target 1911 .45 and a 4.25" Fusion Commander 1911 (Bobtailed) .45.

I love the 1911's. Fits my mitt and the triggers are unmatched by anything....except maybe a S&W revolver that has already been cocked.

I'm a somewhat lazy part time competitive pistol shooter and currently qualified as a "sharp shooter" by the NRA for outdoor conventional pistol.
I also like all the safeties the 1911 has. One safety locks the trigger directly, then there's the "safety" of being able to half-cock the pistol, and a safety built into the grip to make certain that someone is gripping it in their hand. (I seem to recall there might have been another "safety," too, but am now unsure. Maybe one that locks the firing pin?)

But once when about 14, I was in the chaparral on the outskirts of San Diego with my Dad's .45. I was trying to shoot a jackrabbit. I was running along a dirt road after the jack, firing the pistol. After one of my wildly missed shots, I noticed that all those safeties didn't make me safe.

The recoil had brought my forearm up so that the .45's muzzle was lightly kissing the center of my forehead. At that moment, I realized that only a sensitive trigger was between me and premature oblivion. I never again pulled the fool stunt of firing a pistol while running.

The jackrabbit got away from me, naturally. I'm lucky I did, too.

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  18:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
I also like all the safeties the 1911 has. One safety locks the trigger directly, then there's the "safety" of being able to half-cock the pistol, and a safety built into the grip to make certain that someone is gripping it in their hand. (I seem to recall there might have been another "safety," too, but am now unsure. Maybe one that locks the firing pin?)

There is a disconnector that prevents the trigger from actuating the sear if the slide isn't fully closed and locked. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  19:02:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ktesibios

There is a disconnector that prevents the trigger from actuating the sear if the slide isn't fully closed and locked. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?
Ah, that must be it! Thanks! Been about 50 years since I touched a 1911 Colt, you see.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  19:06:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Ah, the professional assassin's weapon of choice.
But of course =)

Originally posted by filthy
I like .22s. Which one do you have?

I won a lot of pistol matches with a Ruger MK 1 bullbarrel, another semi-auto I learned to like.

It's an old Colt Woodsman series 2, my favorite pistol, but I shoot some other relatively lightweight things belonging to friends/relatives (Glock 40, 22 rifle, 223 rifle). I'm not so good with much recoil.

A Woodsman! No kidding.....

I had one, vintage late thirties, when I was a kid. I trained my eye with that little shoot hunting squirrels. Wish I still had it.

Don't worry about recoil; it can't hurt you as long as you're relaxed. Just let 'er bump and roll with the punch. Me, I like recoil. I hand-load everything except rim fire and the recoil gives me an idea of how the cartridge is functioning.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/11/2010 19:12:25
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  15:47:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I had one, vintage late thirties, when I was a kid. I trained my eye with that little shoot hunting squirrels. Wish I still had it.

Don't worry about recoil; it can't hurt you as long as you're relaxed. Just let 'er bump and roll with the punch. Me, I like recoil. I hand-load everything except rim fire and the recoil gives me an idea of how the cartridge is functioning.

Yup, this one is 40s-50s, it was sort of passed down in my family in true redneck fashion. I'm trying to find some of the original magazines though. We had been shooting one weekend and my dad had to make a business trip on Monday and he had forgotten a loaded magazine in his bag and went to the airport with it (doh). Of course, he spent a bit of time in the little room and had it confiscated, so we lost it. I found some extended ones that work, but they stick out of the bottom a little strangely.

I don't mind recoil on pistols really, the 40 gives a decent kick, and I don't really have a desire to shoot anything bigger because it seems pointless, but I really just meant rifles, have a bit of trouble holding them tightly enough to my shoulder.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:33:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Yup, this one is 40s-50s, it was sort of passed down in my family in true redneck fashion. I'm trying to find some of the original magazines though. We had been shooting one weekend and my dad had to make a business trip on Monday and he had forgotten a loaded magazine in his bag and went to the airport with it (doh). Of course, he spent a bit of time in the little room and had it confiscated, so we lost it. I found some extended ones that work, but they stick out of the bottom a little strangely.

I don't mind recoil on pistols really, the 40 gives a decent kick, and I don't really have a desire to shoot anything bigger because it seems pointless, but I really just meant rifles, have a bit of trouble holding them tightly enough to my shoulder.

I think a typical .45 kicks less than a typical .40. The .40 seems to have a "sharper" kick to it (gun design being equal). And a steel 5" 1911 is particularly forgiving, though obviously much harder kicking then any small caliber.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.