Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Most Credible UFO Sighting In The Last 25 Years
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AW

4 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  04:58:00  Show Profile Send AW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I felt compelled to post here instead of lurking, in order to get your opinions on the topic below:

http://ufocasebook.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=reports&action=display&num=1264964255

I have been researching the paranormal (and UFOs in particular) for the last 20 years. Until I literally followed online as the events in North Yorkshire unfolded, I was a skeptic about the whole thing. Now I'm not so sure......

Please read the WHOLE 'Pickering Sightings' thread before commenting, as a lot of people put a lot of effort into debunking things, but failed.

Also make sure to watch the videos on Page 2 of the thread........we don't have technology like that yet......do we?

Edited by - AW on 03/15/2010 04:59:40

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  05:48:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the SFN.
Originally posted by AW

Please read the WHOLE 'Pickering Sightings' thread before commenting, as a lot of people put a lot of effort into debunking things, but failed.
I don't see where anyone has put any effort into debunking anything. In the discussion you linked to, there's a lot of posts expressing interest, but only two question the speed of the object, and only one of those questions it based on the lack of context. Neither have been addressed.

I see hints of a discussion on another forum (other than UFO Casebook), but no functioning links to it. Perhaps you have one?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  06:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, but then if I did, it wouldn't be Unidentified, would it? There are some possibilities, of course, ranging from some sort of military contraption to fraud.

I will state that it is one of the best photos I've seen of such.

Welcome to SFN, AW!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

AW

4 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  08:01:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one Dave, there are many apparently

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ukufo08&action=display&thread=7408&page=1
Go to Top of Page

AW

4 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  08:03:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You saw the videos right?!!! My jaw dropped open at the second one!!

http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/DrJRowan/Pickering%20Sightings/?action=view¤t=Pickering2.flv
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  08:42:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your jaw dropped open because of a blurry black dot which could easily be a small ballon in swirling winds? It could also be faked like sooo many other similar videos.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  09:04:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.msstate.edu/web/media/detail.php?id=263

Isnt something like this FAR more likely than intergalatic drunk drivers hanging out in the suburbs?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  09:24:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Object is moving as if very close to the camera, perhaps a dozen feet or so and on a nylon thread.

Here is a much more convincing UFO and also fake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5gGN6--iY

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  10:08:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AW

http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/DrJRowan/Pickering%20Sightings/?action=view¤t=Pickering2.flv

That impressed you!?

Wow. Give me 20 seconds and a video camera and I'll make an IDENTICAL video. That was 6th grade level.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:13:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AW

That looks like a balloon or something being blown about by the wind. It certainly doesn't look like any type of controlled craft. I mean, if this is supposed to be an alien ship, wtf sort of flight path is that? Why would they fly in wobbly circles? Were the aliens drunk? This object behaves in a way totally inconsistent with how one would expect an intelligently controlled craft to behave. Ah, but it's "weird" and unexplained, therefore it cannot be of this Earth.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/15/2010 11:16:20
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:31:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AW

Here's one Dave, there are many apparently

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ukufo08&action=display&thread=7408&page=1
Nope, there isn't a single attempted debunking in that thread, either. There's a lot of credulity and also you:
...we have to keep an open mind to the fact that whatever it is really IS of an ET origin.
Why? Does an ET hypothesis bring anything of value to the table before all terrestrial explanations are eliminated?

For the sake of discussion, let's say it was ETs. What does that get us? We can't make any predictions that they will return and if so, when and where. We can't contact them. We can't learn from them. Sightings by themselves are worthless data, even if they really are ETs, so why do we need to keep an open mind about their origins?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

AW

4 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:49:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Please read the WHOLE 'Pickering Sightings' thread before commenting, as a lot of people put a lot of effort into debunking things, but failed'

What I meant was, behind the scenes effort. If you have read both threads you'll know this anyway by now.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  12:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AW

'Please read the WHOLE 'Pickering Sightings' thread before commenting, as a lot of people put a lot of effort into debunking things, but failed'

What I meant was, behind the scenes effort. If you have read both threads you'll know this anyway by now.
I've read both of the threads you linked to, and have seen hardly any talk about any attempts at debunking, so whether out in the open or behind the scenes, I can't find any indication of what you say has happened.

Which one is the "Pickering Sightings" thread? I'll read it again. I see "Unexplained Sighting - North Yorkshire Moors" (the first one you linked to) and "UFO over North Yorkshire Moors" (the more recent link).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  21:22:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome AW, do you make root beer? Probably not, it's probably another AW. Anyway, what I get from your links isn't any different than what Dave W got.
Here are my thoughts on what has been presented. These mysteries exist because they don't have enough evidence to explain them. If there was they wouldn't be mysteries. Being a mystery can not be used to support unsupported claims or suppositions. Just because someone thinks that they "could" be from Venus, Mars or from off this planet doesn't make it so. There must be information or evidence to support that. Even 10,000 eye witness sightings with or without pictures and a 1000 fuzzy videos can't prove a belief true with out evidence, like saying they are alien space crafts. To say so is still an unsupported claim or supposition. I've looked at a few more "sightings" on your site and they are all the same. If they could be explained they wouldn't be on the site. I see nothing that supports that they are alien crafts. For the life of me I just can't understand how people can take an unexplainable experience and invent their own or take on another's unsupported explanation. Especially when not backed up with evidence. Not all evidence is equal either. Eye witness accounts and having the clearest pictures are not the same as having a ship or alien, that can be examined. Stories and pictures can be faked and have been. Actual beings or objects that can be examined are very valuable. Why do I not know of any. Saying the government is hiding them is not evidence.

Now may I ask you a question? Do you believe thunder is created by a Deity? Do you know millions of people use to and millions of people alive today still do. India has over 1.2 billion people(2008) and 80% are Hindu. Indra is the Hindu God of thunder. No shit. In ancient times all over the world, cultures who had know knowledge of each other, all believed that thunder is/was created by a God or Deity. All under different names. I suspect if I lived along time ago and had no knowledge of static charges being the true cause, I to might believe the same but I would be wrong. Many people believing the same does not make truth but evidence helps.

Now the above has nothing to do with you or I believing that UFO's exist. I believe that UFO's exists but as just that "unidentified". Do you have any examples or evidence that they are Alien saucers from off this planet or anything else? I'd love to hear it. I haven't yet. Until I do, I'm staying on the fence not sold on speculation. Just as I have given you an example of how human beings make up answers for unexplained experiences, I and others here choose not to. Not without some kind of evidence. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.