Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Political Spectrum quiz
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  01:25:20  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nolan Chart. It's got links to descriptions of the various alignments and political views for you to research; all the better to help you fulfill the stereotype of whatever group you fall into.

The centrist seems to be the most reasonable.

We also don't buy the myth that reconsidering, reexamining, or revisiting a viewpoint is a weakness. New information comes in all the time, good arguments are heard, new experiences are had, and some of it will undermine your point of view. When that happens, you have two choices: put your fingers in your ears and sing "la-la-la" or incorporate the new stuff into your viewpoint to find a better and more useful position. Most centrists aren't afraid to question their views from time to time, to find that some ideas are no longer working and need to be updated. We attain wisdom through a series of steps and missteps in a process that may take several decades. But nobody ever became wise by singing "la-la-la" and accusing others of being indecisive flip-floppers.




Guess where I fell?




>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 03/17/2010 04:03:10

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  01:37:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dammit, I'm a Centrist. No more folksongs for me.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  02:19:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right on the line between Centrist and Liberal, shifted away from libertarian.
On reflection that seems just about right.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
--------------------------------------------------
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
--------------------------------------------------
Edited by - dglas on 03/17/2010 02:19:16
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  03:55:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pinko-commie Liberal, here.




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  06:05:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liberal, according to this, anyway.

Why are free speech and eminent domain linked?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter



Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  08:02:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Liberal, according to this, anyway.

Why are free speech and eminent domain linked?
Maybe it was part, along with a complementary question, of separating out liberal from libertarian free speech? (I know I didn't express that well, sorry.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  08:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting to look at the results page where they list how the questions were answered by everyone taking the quiz. The healthcare question in particular seems to show how little people actually know about issues and how much the discussion is poisoned by special interests.


Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  08:50:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speech, assembly, press, and Internet should be free except when it comes to protecting against terrorism and other threats to public safety. Free speech zones can be established to protect the right of free speech while insuring security at public events. Eminent domain should be maintained in practice, but it should not be available merely as a means to enrich private developers via enforced land transfers.


I agree with the eminent domain section here, but not the free speech section.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter



Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  08:53:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firmly in the liberal camp myself.


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  09:56:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Libertarian

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13462 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  11:47:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh gosh. I'm a liberal. Who'd-a-thunk-it?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  20:17:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Libertarian, slightly left, near centrist. None of the choices were particularly appealing to me for a few of the questions though.

@Dude: I agree it's pretty ridiculous for that many people to call lawsuits the "primary" reason for health care costs going up. The CBO put it at what, 3%? I may suggest it is somewhat higher, at least in certain locales (which probably relegates it to a state issue anyway), but certainly not the leading cause.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 03/17/2010 20:17:51
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  21:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Libertarian, slightly left, near centrist. None of the choices were particularly appealing to me for a few of the questions though.

@Dude: I agree it's pretty ridiculous for that many people to call lawsuits the "primary" reason for health care costs going up. The CBO put it at what, 3%? I may suggest it is somewhat higher, at least in certain locales (which probably relegates it to a state issue anyway), but certainly not the leading cause.
Yeah, and now you know how i could misread you as a "PaleoCon." (Sorry.) Because I thought I was a Liberal, but my "star" was placed on the graph just very slightly below and left of dead center. Sometimes we don't even know our own place in the spectrum.

I actually think this was a relatively accurate and useful test, even though half the time I had to settle for answers that didn't quite fit my beliefs.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  22:59:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMoonerYeah, and now you know how i could misread you as a "PaleoCon." (Sorry.) Because I thought I was a Liberal, but my "star" was placed on the graph just very slightly below and left of dead center. Sometimes we don't even know our own place in the spectrum.

I actually think this was a relatively accurate and useful test, even though half the time I had to settle for answers that didn't quite fit my beliefs.


No, it wasn't so far off on issues (far in philosophy perhaps). I could go either way really, the harder choices on the questions usually were the difference between liberal or libertarian positions, and I went with what turned out to be the "liberal" options, but going libertarian would have taken me up and right on the graph because I had a couple "conservative" positions (guns/social security -- although the "libertarian" option for social security is closer to what Republicans usually say).

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  23:14:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this quiz is essentially a spinoff of this: http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/quiz.php

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9672 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  04:22:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a liberal according to this test.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000