Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  13:52:10  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pope should be arrested, tried and if/when found guilty sentenced to an asylum for disgusting perverts. It's a pity the fucker is too old to join a chain gang, or I'd recommend that. He'd probably feel right at home with the pedophiles.

But that's just my heavily biased opinion -- it is starting to be shared by many. link
For Catholics, it's Holy Week. The message: 'The Pope should resign'
by Joe Sudbay (DC) on 3/28/2010 10:47:00 AM

Holy Week is a big week for the Pope. He's on a worldwide stage almost every day. Benedict's role in enabling and protecting child rapists has become more widely known over the past weeks and months. And, there's increased talk of something that would never have been suggested. The Pope should quit. Here's a column from Margery Egan in today's Boston Herald:

The Pope should resign. He should offer himself up to authorities for prosecution, like the sacrificial lamb he’s supposed to represent here on earth.

Long ago he should have opened the secret church books on priestly abuse. He hasn’t. Courts finally forced that in Boston almost a decade ago and, oh, what horrors we found. Remember? The Vatican hierarchy then blamed our scandal on a decadent American culture. Now the same priestly disease has swept Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, on and on across Europe and beyond. So was all the world, from the 1950s on, just one huge, decadent Gomorrah? Or was the Catholic hierarchy, from the ’50s on, run like an international crime organization aiding and abetting child abuse, then covering up its cover-up?

A few years back, former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating caused an uproar by comparing secret-keeping American bishops to La Cosa Nostra.

He was but ahead of his time.

And it looks like it's getting pretty close to home....
More child abuse stories coming out of Italy?
by Chris in Paris on 3/28/2010 04:49:00 AM

The news coverage of the child rape stories in Ireland triggered victims to emerge in Germany. Now with the latest coverage of abuse in Germany and Holland, other victims in Europe are emerging including Italy. The Guardian:

"We are likely to discover that the Vatican worked even harder in Italy with bishops than elsewhere to hide cases, simply because the contact was closer and the church is so powerful in Italy," Mirabile added.

Sergio Cavaliere, an Italian lawyer who has documented 130 cases of clerical paedophilia, also believes that the Vatican's backyard could follow Ireland, the United States and Germany in producing a wave of abuse revelations. "The cases I have found are just the tip of the iceberg given the reluctance of many victims to come forward until now," said Cavaliere. "And in no single case did the local bishop alert police to the suspected abuse."

Another startling development is how recent most of the allegations are, unlike the decades-old cases in Munich and Milwaukee that Benedict was last week accused of failing to act on.

Of course, Bill Donohue says everything's A-Ok,; his is the One True Church:
Creepy douchebag Bill Donohue, professional crank and self-appointed defender of the faith, gets a lot of air time on the major networks and prime op-ed space to complain about the usual crap far-right Christian supremacists decry: gay people, “secular Jews” controlling Hollywood, pro-choice politicians and the hideous oppression Christians are forced to endure in a country relentlessly dominated by their co-religionists.

With Princess and the Pea-like sensitivity, Donohue pores over news articles, opinion pieces, movie scripts, comedy routines, art exhibitions, etc., in search of perceived insults against Christianity in general and the Catholic Church in particular. He generally produces comic results, as in his semi-famous kerfluffle with comedian Kathy Griffin.

But Donohue’s latest effort to blunt criticism of the Catholic Church as its pedophilia scandal spirals out of control worldwide isn’t funny at all. In fact, it’s the most despicable thing I’ve read in years—and Jesus, Mary and Joseph, people, I occasionally read Free Republic and transcripts from Rush Limbaugh’s show.

Here’s the lede of a Donohue opinion piece currently (and inexcusably) front-paged at CNN:

The rash of stories about priestly sexual abuse in Europe, especially in Ireland and Germany, has put many Catholics on the defensive. They should not be. While sexual molestation of any kind is always indefensible, the politics surrounding this story is also indefensible.

Employers from every walk of life, in both the U.S. and Europe, have long handled cases of alleged sex abuse by employees as an internal matter. Rarely have employers called the cops, and none was required to do so.

Though this is starting to change, any discussion of employee sexual abuse that took place 30 and 40 years ago must acknowledge this reality. Thus it hardly comes as a surprise that Cardinal Sean Brady in Ireland did not summon the authorities about a case involving a priest in the 1970s. What is surprising is why some are now indicting him, acting as if his response was the exception to the rule.

All of this raises an interesting question: How can an organization such as the Catholic Church claim any moral authority at all, given their history, past and modern?

More to the point, how can they claim that the godless can have no morals without God when they themselves have so few?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  13:59:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
All of this raises an interesting question: How can an organization such as the Catholic Church claim any moral authority at all, given their history, past and modern?

They're catholics, aren't they? I thought they could do anything, no matter how despicable, as long as they sincerely regret it and ask for forgiveness afterwards.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  18:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems the cream rises to the top with the RCC. I wouldn't be so easy on the pope or the church filthy. Rotten to the core that house of jackals. If I was a priest before I went out in public, I'd shave my ass and walk backwards, so I wouldn't have to show my face. I hope they never get this behind them as long as the pope lives. The pope doesn't deserve one hours rest, till his last day. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  23:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Hat tip to PZ.) Richard Dawkins is right, I think, when he speaks out against a Papal resignation:
"Should the pope resign?" No. As the College of Cardinals must have recognized when they elected him, he is perfectly - ideally - qualified to lead the Roman Catholic Church. A leering old villain in a frock, who spent decades conspiring behind closed doors for the position he now holds; a man who believes he is infallible and acts the part; a man whose preaching of scientific falsehood is responsible for the deaths of countless AIDS victims in Africa; a man whose first instinct when his priests are caught with their pants down is to cover up the scandal and damn the young victims to silence: in short, exactly the right man for the job. He should not resign, moreover, because he is perfectly positioned to accelerate the downfall of the evil, corrupt organization whose character he fits like a glove, and of which he is the absolute and historically appropriate monarch.

No, Pope Ratzinger should not resign. He should remain in charge of the whole rotten edifice - the whole profiteering, woman-fearing, guilt-gorging, truth-hating, child-raping institution - while it tumbles, amid a stench of incense and a rain of tourist-kitsch sacred hearts and preposterously crowned virgins, about his ears.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/28/2010 23:55:30
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  02:47:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more on Ratzingers reccord on the abuse handling
NYT Op-Ed: A Papal Conversion
Yet to paint Benedict XVI as uniquely villainous doesn’t do justice to his record. The pope may still have much ground to cover, but he deserves credit for how far he’s come.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  03:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  07:41:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That idiot Michael Coren said: Let’s confront the problem of abuse without attacking the Catholic Church.

Yes, I know I posted it before but still...

The stupid thing is: Just read the comments. It seems that most people agree with Mike.

Holy son of a fuck...

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 03/29/2010 07:43:45
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  13:38:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said Richard Dawkins. I wonder if the scandals of the Church and other power bases are because of the internet. Humph! How do you put a genie back in it's bottle? Their asking! If it is because of the internet China knows how. I've experienced times when the same Google search yields some different results depending which computer I've used, personal ones. I'm suspecting something is a little wonko behind the curtain. Maybe a passing universe. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  18:08:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Well said Richard Dawkins. I wonder if the scandals of the Church and other power bases are because of the internet. Humph! How do you put a genie back in it's bottle? Their asking! If it is because of the internet China knows how. I've experienced times when the same Google search yields some different results depending which computer I've used, personal ones. I'm suspecting something is a little wonko behind the curtain. Maybe a passing universe. SS
Well, China doesn't just screw around with customized search engine results for each computer. They force people like Google (until Google recently stopped doing it) to simply not show unwanted results to all users of google.cn.

If you are getting different results on different computers, sailingsoul, any of several things might be happening:

1. The searches came up with differing results because they were not at the same time. Google results change quickly with time.

2. The search parameters were different on these computers. The settings under Google's "SafeSearch Filtering" default to "moderate filtering," I believe. You'd get differing results if this was set to "strict filtering" or "Do not filter my search results."

3. How can you not trust a corporation whose motto is "Don't be evil"?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/29/2010 19:10:09
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  18:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like PZ Myers's handling of it:

There's another excuse they'll use. "Everyone does it". You'll find no more repulsive example than this article by a Catholic archbishop — his excuse is to list examples of doctors, judges, and teachers abusing children. See? Catholics probably aren't any worse than other professionals! Except, of course, that medicine, law, and education aren't closed institutions that go out of their way to protect molesters from exposure. And most of all, they aren't institutions that insist, over and over, that they are society's repository of moral wisdom.

Why do I like Myer's take? Look at what Coren wrote (from my link above):

While sexual abuse is obviously grotesque, the number of occurrences in the Catholic Church is neither higher nor lower than any other denomination or religion and the same as those in education, sports and any other institution that involves a power dynamic between adults and youth. This is proven in numerous studies by objective authors. Yet if we are to believe the media, abuse is almost exclusively Catholic and — here we go again — all because of celibacy and an all-male clergy.

I just posted the above to Coren's little Sun article's comments section.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 03/29/2010 19:05:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  20:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Josh Rosenau has this little gem:
Who knew?

First, who knew that the Boston Herald would run a story about the New York archbishop? And if they did, that the story would involve the archbishop defending the pope against the sex abuse furor:
New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan was greeted with applause after … defending Pope Benedict XVI against suggestions he aided coverups of reports of child abuse. …

The leader of the nation’s second-largest diocese urged his congregation to pray for the pope, saying he was suffering some of the same unjust accusations once faced by Jesus.
Who knew that Jesus hid reports of his apostles raping young boys? Apparently the Archbishop of New York knew, and is finally telling the world.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  20:49:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sit down for this one, people.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  21:37:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Disgusting. Can't Coren at least die and shut the f**k up?

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  01:16:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Brilliant!
Another perfect spokesman for Benny Pope and the church.
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Disgusting. Can't Coren at least die and shut the f**k up?
Yes, its disgusting. I hope he continues.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  01:36:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

Yes, its disgusting. I hope he continues.
Yeah, me, too, actually. I replied briefly, by the way. Wonder if it will get past moderation?:
HalfMooner says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
March 30, 2010 at 12:20 am

Mr. Coren, your obscenely nasty, lickspittle defense of a Pope who has been a pedophilia enabler for decades is a disgrace to yourself and the Catholic Church.

I fully expect neither to be ashamed, however.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/30/2010 01:38:22
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  03:01:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fortunately Bill Donohue is able to identify the real culprits for us: The parents of the molested children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2fBqeYK1Yo

(Warning, the clip above contains high levels of stupidity and vileness. Starman does not accept liability for any discomfort caused by viewing the linked clip. Any Bill Donohue clip should be viewed with caution)

Ht: Pharyngula

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.