Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  04:08:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When a horrible crime is alleged, you just know deception is going on when those doing the damage control use the tricksy passive voice.

This is especially true when someone combines the passive voice with the word, "mistakes," and provides no actual names. Princes of the Church are leaping out from all sides these days, trying to take bullets with Ratzinger's name on them. Even so, some of them are trying to spread the blame around. It's getting desperate, in that familiar old "Watergate" kind of way:
The archbishop of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, apologized repeatedly Tuesday night for the way his archdiocese handled an abusive priest and he defended the Vatican which has come under fire for not disciplining or defrocking the man.

"Mistakes were made in the Lawrence Murphy case," said Archbishop Jerome Listecki at the end of a special holy week mass at St. John's Cathedral in Milwaukee.

"The mistakes were not made in Rome in 1996, 1997 and 1998. The mistakes were made here, in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, in the 1970s, the 1980s and the 1990s, by the Church, by civil authorities, by Church officials, and by bishops. And for that, I beg your forgiveness in the name of the Church and in the name of this Archdiocese of Milwaukee."

The now-deceased Murphy is believed to have molested up to 200 boys.

The Vatican says it did not know about the abuse until 20 years after civil authorities investigated and later dropped the case.

However, a recent New York Times story alleged that top Vatican officials, including the future Pope Benedict XVI, failed to act despite warnings from several American bishops.

Jeff Anderson, a lawyer who obtained internal church paperwork, said it "shows a direct line from the victims through the bishops and directly to the man who is now pope."

In his comments Tuesday night, Listecki attempted to shift the blame away from the Pope.

"The Holy Father does not need me to defend him or his decisions," he said. "I believe, and history will confirm, that his actions in responding to this crisis swiftly and decisively and his compassionate response to victims (and) survivors speak for themselves."
Reading these words of Archbishop Jerome Listecki, you'd hardly even notice that this concerns the rape and molestation of 200-odd deaf boys by just one of the Church's legion of pedophile priests, nor that Joseph Ratzinger was directly responsible for allowing the molestation to continue for years.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  05:43:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HalfMooner says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
March 30, 2010 at 12:20 am

Mr. Coren, your obscenely nasty, lickspittle defense of a Pope who has been a pedophilia enabler for decades is a disgrace to yourself and the Catholic Church.

I fully expect neither to be ashamed, however.

The are sites that screen and cherry pic comments. However your comment, halfmooner, was posted. Good! SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  07:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we have to admit our error here:
Bill Donohue: Child Molesting Priests Weren’t Pedophiles Because Most Boys Were Post Pubescent
Bill Donohue: It’s not a pedophilia… most of the victims were post pubescent…

Roberts: You know…

Donohue: You’ve got to get your facts straight. I’m sorry. If I’m the only one that’s going to deal with facts tonight so be it. The vast majority of the victims are post pubescent. That’s not pedophilia buddy. That’s homosexuality.
Guess everything is alright and we should all apologize to the pope and the church then...

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 03/31/2010 07:55:33
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  08:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

Well, we have to admit our error here:
Bill Donohue: Child Molesting Priests Weren’t Pedophiles Because Most Boys Were Post Pubescent
Bill Donohue: It’s not a pedophilia… most of the victims were post pubescent…

Roberts: You know…

Donohue: You’ve got to get your facts straight. I’m sorry. If I’m the only one that’s going to deal with facts tonight so be it. The vast majority of the victims are post pubescent. That’s not pedophilia buddy. That’s homosexuality.
Guess everything is alright and we should all apologize to the pope and the church then...

Disgusting!

So if Donahue gets a 14-year-old pubescent girl "willingly" in bed with him, it's just good old "heterosexuality"?

If I had kids, I'd use a shotgun if I had to, to keep that pig-fucker Donahue, along with all his priests all the way to the Pope, away from them. Don't these scum know that minors can't consent?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  09:04:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that it was some low-life Mormon who once said to the effect that the age of consent was puberty.

Seems to be, some elements of the Catholic Church agree with that asshole, up to and including Donohue, and ultimately, his Pope.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  12:21:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally quoted by HalfMooner

"The Holy Father does not need me to defend him or his decisions," he said. "I believe, and history will confirm, that his actions in responding to this crisis swiftly and decisively and his compassionate response to victims (and) survivors speak for themselves."
When the Pope referred to these serious allegations as "petty gossip," it was swift, decisive and entirely incompassionate hand-waving.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  03:51:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally quoted by HalfMooner

When the Pope referred to these serious allegations as "petty gossip," it was swift, decisive and entirely incompassionate hand-waving.

Well, he'd better flap them hands one hell of a lot faster. The backlash is building up an unprecedented amount of steam.
Letter shows Pope Paul VI knew of child abuse decades ago

By Andrew McLemore
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 -- 9:30 pm

Further revelations of the Vatican's inaction to address pedophilia may tarnish not only Pope Benedict's reputation, but that of Pope Paul VI.

According to a newly released letter, Pope Paul VI and the Vatican knew about clergy abuse of children almost 50 years ago.

The 1963 letter is from the head of a Roman Catholic order dedicated to the treatment of priests who had committed pedophilia. In it, he tells Pope Paul that he recommends removing the priests from active ministry.

The letter was released in Los Angeles by attorneys for California clergy abuse victims who obtained the document during litigation.

It summarizes the Rev. Gerald M.C. Fitzgerald's thoughts on problem priests and appears to have been requested by Pope Paul after Fitzgerald's 1963 visit to the Vatican.
quote]
The article continues:
[quote]Bishops across Europe have begun taking action on their own.

Swiss bishops encouraged victims to file criminal complaints. German bishops have opened a hot line for victims. Danish bishops launched an inquiry into decades-old claims. Austria's senior cleric, Cardinal Christophe Schoenborn, admitted church guilt as he presided over a service for victims billed as a sign of repentance.

It seems to get worse by the day.

[p8]

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  04:20:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, Fil. And more passive voice damage control:
"The fact of the matter is, the prevailing ideas at the time about how to deal with abusive behavior were not adequate," Tamberg said.
The use of passive voice is like marking one's own obfuscations to make them easier to see at a glance. What idiots.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/01/2010 04:23:25
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  11:44:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
The use of passive voice is like marking one's own obfuscations to make them easier to see at a glance. What idiots.

Guess I need to be more careful about how I write, never knew one could say so much by virtue of using a passive voice.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 04/01/2010 11:44:16
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  14:56:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As might be expected:
Rome, Italy, Mar 31, 2010 / 11:47 am (CNA).- Noted Italian exorcist Father Gabriele Amorth, commented this week that the recent defamatory reporting on Pope Benedict XVI, especially by the New York Times, was “prompted by the devil.”

Speaking to News Mediaset in Italy, the 85-year-old exorcist noted that the devil is behind “the recent attacks on Pope Benedict XVI regarding some pedophilia cases.”

“There is no doubt about it. Because he is a marvelous Pope and worthy successor to John Paul II, it is clear that the devil wants to ‘grab hold’ of him.”

The Vatican won't acce0pt responsibility for anything, will they? Why should they when they can blame it on superstitious bullshit, and a whole raft of people will happily buy the whole, freakiin' hog?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  17:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Guess I need to be more careful about how I write, never knew one could say so much by virtue of using a passive voice.
The general rule of thumb is that a writer should use active voice whenever possible. Nothing is inherently wrong with passive voice per se. It has its place, and we all use it. As the Wikipedia article pointed out, in describing a scientific procedure we needn't explicitly say who mixed the water with the sucrose.

But passive voice doesn't make for prose that as "vital" as active voice, and can be used to cover up a myriad of sins. It simply struck me that I see a lot of tortured passive voice when people are trying to deceive. They don't want to say who did what to whom. It's like a marker gene associated with liars.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really though, The Pope should be given a break, the job he's taken on is a very tough one. It's only natural that there has been some abuse. Unfortunately it's a fact of life that his name will be smeared.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:21:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Really though, The Pope should be given a break, the job he's taken on is a very tough one. It's only natural that there has been some abuse. Unfortunately it's a fact of life that his name will be smeared.
You should edit in a winky () or something, 'cause otherwise it's hard to tell that you're being sarcastic.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:29:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by On fire for Christ

You should edit in a winky () or something, 'cause otherwise it's hard to tell that you're being sarcastic.
The date, 04/01/2010, should be enough....

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

The date, 04/01/2010, should be enough....
How widespread is the April Fool's concept, internationally?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.