Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  10:20:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point, MGreen, about not using the Santa myth as a bludgeon to threaten kids. If you choose to let your kids enjoy it, make sure it's purely a positive thing. No threats of coal-fire and darnation.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  12:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by MGreen

Alright, so I have read the informative information and I am leaning to the side of still wanting my daughter to believe in Santa. I however do not want to be the parent that says if you aren't good Santa is going to put coal in your stocking and things of that nature. I like most of you want my child to learn about Santa, believe on her own, and at the same time my wife and I teach her the true meaning of christmas.

Maybe you should read up on the true meaning of christmas first.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  12:43:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Alright, so I have read the informative information and I am leaning to the side of still wanting my daughter to believe in Santa. I however do not want to be the parent that says if you aren't good Santa is going to put coal in your stocking and things of that nature. I like most of you want my child to learn about Santa, believe on her own, and at the same time my wife and I teach her the true meaning of christmas.

That was a bit garbled, particularly with Mithras being thrown in as if he were a Northern European pagan sun god.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  16:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh please. You know as well as I Christians believe the meaning of Christmas is Jesus wae born to be a sacrifice for mans sin. What you stated was more of the origin not the meaning.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  18:49:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Oh please. You know as well as I Christians believe the meaning of Christmas is Jesus wae born to be a sacrifice for mans sin. What you stated was more of the origin not the meaning.

If the truth about the origin of the holiday demonstrates that there is no factual basis for the portion of the Jesus myth associated with it, then that renders it rather meaningless from that perspective, does is not?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  19:13:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Robb

If the truth about the origin of the holiday demonstrates that there is no factual basis for the portion of the Jesus myth associated with it, then that renders it rather meaningless from that perspective, does is not?

Sometimes truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

kim jennings

4 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  06:20:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send kim jennings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any good Christian worth his salt would know from the Bible that there can be no justification in supporting the myth of Santa Claus. If you are God-fearing church go-ers, then why not ask your pastor? He can give you the right guidance..and he can convince your wife to be obedient to your wishes in this matter, as the Bible also commands.

I think you are being insincere. Your insistence that we give you "christian" arguments is dsingenuous. This is a skeptical site.

If you are a closet Skeptic, then welcome--and you aheva bigger problemt han how to deal with Santa Claus. If you are just trying to have a little fun with a bunch of dumb heathens, well, shame on you. Better to use your time doing some true mission work at your local soup kitchen. Which is what Jesus would do.

Kim

"does your doG bite? That's not my doG."
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  14:17:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by kim jennings

Any good Christian worth his salt would know from the Bible that there can be no justification in supporting the myth of Santa Claus. If you are God-fearing church go-ers, then why not ask your pastor? He can give you the right guidance..and he can convince your wife to be obedient to your wishes in this matter, as the Bible also commands.

I think you are being insincere. Your insistence that we give you "christian" arguments is dsingenuous. This is a skeptical site.

If you are a closet Skeptic, then welcome--and you aheva bigger problemt han how to deal with Santa Claus. If you are just trying to have a little fun with a bunch of dumb heathens, well, shame on you. Better to use your time doing some true mission work at your local soup kitchen. Which is what Jesus would do.

Kim

"does your doG bite? That's not my doG."
Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, kim jennings! I'm inclined to take, and treat, MGreen's OP on face value, though I too have wondered why a Christian would seek such guidance from a pack of infidels. I could, however, imagine that he's seeking replies from various sources, and comparing them for both helpfulness and civility. (Of course, I'm capable of imagining a lot of stuff.)

Go to Top of Page

kim jennings

4 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  09:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send kim jennings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if he is indeed sincere, then I apologize to him. But there are a lot of bear baiters out there! It seems suspect to me.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  10:23:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Welcome to SFN, kim jennings!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

kim jennings

4 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  14:14:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send kim jennings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Yeah. Welcome to SFN, kim jennings!!!

I like your tag line Kil!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  19:25:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

... from a pack of infidels. ...

I resemble that comment!

Wow, I just read the whole thread and this could be a twilight zone episode, if it's not already. Let me see if I got this straight. Your wife thinks it better to teach your kid only the lies truth about Christmas and not the truth lies about Santa Clause? The truth being, Jesus (a God) was born on Dec. 25. Three days after the winter solstice. That there were three kings, bearing gifts and they traveled during midwinter not knowing to where, just following a "star". That star, guided them precisely the barn where Jesus was born, arriving on the same night Jesus did. Talk about the truth being stranger than fiction. Now, the reason "Mary" delivered God out in a barn, was because all the inn's in town were full due to a census. Good thing I'd say. Even the wisest (astronomer) kings would be hard pressed to find the right block in town, let alone the right inn and room using a star. A feat I'd think can't be done by anyone alive today, even using Hubble. This is the Christmas truth your referring to? She wants to teach you girl that this is undeniably true and at the same time, your wife's dead set against lying to her, about Santa Clause? It boggles my mind, to think this is truly going on. Am I the only one who sees the humor in this thread?

In your OP you wrote
my wife will not allow our daughter to believe in Santa Claus for the first 7 years of her life

At about 7, is when most kids stop believing in Santa not start. I don't know what to say, other than by the time she makes 18 this one issue will probably effect little in determining how well she turns out. So don't loose any sex sleep over it. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  07:06:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard it said that Santa Claus is a training Jesus.
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 04/25/2010 07:06:52
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  07:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
at least saint nick is half-assed based on 1/2 real person and 1/2 corporate image - more evidence of existence than jesus at this point. beyond that they are exactly the same thing.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

kim jennings

4 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  07:50:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send kim jennings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which made me doubt the original poster. It just don't float!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.01 seconds.