Here we go again.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  16:56:51  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems that every few years, about five or so, a dauntless team of Christian searchers "finds" Noah's Ark. They're running right on schedule.

I've read about this in several places, but feeling a little perverse, I'm going with AiG's take on it:
Has Noah’s Ark Been Found?
April 27,

Every few years we hear of claims that Noah’s Ark (or what may remain of it) has been found on the mountains of Ararat in Turkey. Over the weekend, a press conference was held in Hong Kong where it was announced that explorers were almost certain they had found the remains of the Ark. Answers in Genesis has seen many photos that were released, but without corroboration by the leading creationist organizations and not knowing all the research methods that were employed, we will withhold judgment until further study. Over the decades, we have learned to be cautious about such Ark claims.

We have no doubt, however, that there once was a massive Ark that served as a vessel of salvation during a global Flood and landed on the mountains of Ararat, as recorded in the book of Genesis.

We may have more to report on this claim in our regular News to Note feature this weekend.

They're pretty subdued about it -- guess they've been burned too many times before.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/27/2010 16:57:46

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  17:34:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answers in Genesis has seen many photos that were released, but without corroboration by the leading creationist organizations and not knowing all the research methods that were employed, we will withhold judgment until further study. Over the decades, we have learned to be cautious about such Ark claims.

We have no doubt, however, that there once was a massive Ark that served as a vessel of salvation during a global Flood and landed on the mountains of Ararat, as recorded in the book of Genesis.

I found those few sentences back to back to be rather ironic.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  19:08:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now if they can only find the water. Where's the missing water? All smoke, no fire and no water. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  19:35:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some other flood myths. I've looked a few over....so far, on the extreme fairy-tale scale, the biblical Noah/Ark myth ranks on up there with a large number of 'em.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  05:35:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years ago, as a young lad, I saw the Sunn Pictures "Search for Noah's Ark" when it came out, back in 1973(?). In it, there were a few B&W pics of what appeared to be a rectangular, box-like "ship", half-buried in snow in a valley (on Ararat???). Does anyone know where to see those photos on the web, and who took those pics? I tried a Google search, but without better search terms, I'll end up visiting thirty Xian crap-sites.

No, I'm far from a believer, it's just curiosity. Kind of like my guilty pleasure of looking at Nessie "photos".

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  05:53:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Now if they can only find the water. Where's the missing water? All smoke, no fire and no water. SS

Even less water than you might think. As the stew they were allegedly floating in would have been anything but potable, where did they store drinking water? And a lot of that commodity would be required, what with the holds full of livestock.

Even as myths go, the Flood Story is a crock. It is also the most difficult part of the Bible to defend, but that doesn't stop Ham, et al., from trying -- often to our amusement.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  05:54:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latest Ark finding is a fake, says PZ Myers, quoting rival Ark-hunter, Creationist Randall Price:
To make a long story short: this is all reported to be a fake. The photos were reputed to have been taken off site near the Black Sea, but the film footage the Chinese now have was shot on location on Mt. Ararat. In the late summer of 2008 ten Kurdish workers hired by Parasut, the guide used by the Chinese, are said to have planted large wood beams taken from an old structure in the Black Sea area (where the photos were originally taken) at the Mt. Ararat site. In the winter of 2008 a Chinese climber taken by Parasut's men to the site saw the wood, but couldn't get inside because of the severe weather conditions. During the summer of 2009 more wood was planted inside a cave at the site. The Chinese team went in the late summer of 2009 (I was there at the time and knew about the hoax) and was shown the cave with the wood and made their film. As I said, I have the photos of the inside of the so-called Ark (that show cobwebs in the corners of rafters - something just not possible in these conditions) and our Kurdish partner in Dogubabyazit (the village at the foot of Mt. Ararat) has all of the facts about the location, the men who planted the wood, and even the truck that transported it.
The local Turks know how to make bucks from Creotourism. Smart of them! How the locals separate suckers from their money is rather pleasant in this case, I think.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/28/2010 22:19:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  06:10:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah.

Drudge reported it thus: Noah's Ark Found in Turkey!, complete with exclamation point!

The link takes you to an article in the Sun tabloid.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  07:12:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long ago were the first reports that they found noah's arc??? 25 years ago?? And they still can't say for sure? "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy, had a show that aired 2/08/1979 Episode #67 titled Noahs Flood. Can't find if they mentioned finding the arc then. "Unsoluved Mysteries" might have done a show also but can't find a listing of one. I know I've see show on it years ago. This is just like the Loch Ness Monster, and like Filthy said, every few years the media dusts off the file and reports "new evidence" which is vague, presenting nothing substantial. There are the Mt Ararat roomers that until today is not conclusive after all the years. There is also a second Noah's arc found 20+ miles from Mt Ararat. Right where the koran says it is. Which is different than where the bible say's it is. The bible say's Mt Ararat. One would think that with both books being holy inspired they would be correct and agree but they don't agree. That makes at least one of the two books in error. How can that be???? One book has to be bullshitting it's readers by containing eh,,, made up writtings!!! , that's how. Theist can only put their fingers in there ears ,shut their eyes closed and chant "my book is true, la la, it's all true, there are no contradictions, la la". It wouldn't be so laughable, if the authors would have got together and got their lies stories straight. It's no surprise why Richard Dawkins is less than thrilled to debate theists any more. Especially when how disingenuous their arguments are when they are debated. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  13:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make Christians look gullible?

I post this without comment....
After the flood waters receded, the Bible says, the ark came to rest on a mountain. Many believe that Mount Ararat, the highest point in the region, is where the ark and her inhabitants came aground.

CSM's Stephen Kurczy writes,

But Dr. Randall Price, an evangelical Christian and former member of the Chinese-led team that announced this week’s finding, says the latest purported finding may not withstand closer scrutiny.

"If the world wants to think this is a wonderful discovery, that’s fine. My problem is that, in the end, proper analysis may show this to be a hoax and negatively reflect how gullible Christians can be," he says.

Dr. Price, who is director of the Center for Judaic Studies at the conservative Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., was the archaeologist on the Chinese-led team in 2008 when this alleged discovery was first made. He says he has "difficulties with a number of issues related to the evidence at hand."

Price declined to elaborate. However, a leaked email from Price - which he confirms that he wrote - shows that he has reason to believe that a group of local Kurdish men trucked wood up to the mountain and staged an elaborate hoax for the Chinese team.

A skeptical blogger argues, "There is no Ark. There never was, and if there had been, it wouldn't still be sitting on Mt Ararat. Do something useful with that energy."

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.