Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 American Academy of Pediatrics f**ks up, badly.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  08:05:17  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, from PZ Myers, an insande case of accomodation to a hurtful, useless, religous practice.

Who did the accomodating? American Academy of Pediatrics. As for what practice they're accepting, just read on the links.

I won't describe it here.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 05/06/2010 08:05:52

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  10:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is wow. very sad. Is there any way to change their minds?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  11:41:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

All I can say is wow. very sad. Is there any way to change their minds?

First I think this can not be allowed to stand it this country. I trust it will not. Second I don't see how this is different than other actions that are allowed to stand like the prosecution of gays permitted in state and federal laws.

This is very clearly a ritual based on religious beliefs and moralities. They're just trying to extend the same rights other religious people have in this country, to religious people from other places and of different traditions. This horrific practice is morality driven. Not much different than morally driven beliefs held by other theists. This is advocating the right of people to fuck up others on the fantasy that it is commanded, desired or pleases a deity, which is impossible to show the existence of. Just like theists here do every day in other ways, under the badge of morality and obeying a maniacal deity's commands or wishes. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  13:01:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Again, from PZ Myers, an insande case of accomodation to a hurtful, useless, religous practice.

Who did the accomodating? American Academy of Pediatrics. As for what practice they're accepting, just read on the links.

I won't describe it here.

WTF?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  13:47:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fucking sick! this is no more than female circumcision as practiced in Africa and elsewhere. Anyone who advocates that should have his/her own genitalia mutilated, preferably with a rusty hacksaw blade fixed up like a Vietcong pungee stick.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/06/2010 14:02:58
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  13:57:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are these people thinking? The clitoris is the tastiest part! This could ruin cunnilingus for generations to come!

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  13:54:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TMI, dude.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  17:54:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
{shudder}
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  19:37:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doctors performing these ritual mutilations should lose their license and be jailed. The so-called "nicking" approved by the AAP is totally unethical and unprofessional. It's actually comparable with the crimes of Nazi doctors.

There simply should be no tolerance for barbarism, religiously motivated or not, and doctors especially should never be the ones performing such barbarism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  20:04:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is a little too far to compare it to nazi shit Half....

But I'd agree that this amounts to intentional harm, and any doctor doing it should be stripped of credentials.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  21:00:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

I think it is a little too far to compare it to nazi shit Half...
How about a comparison to the Nazi castration of the "feeble-minded"? Even that had a supposed medical "purpose," unlike this present-day atrocity. (And, lest we forget, that practice was common in the USA, too. In the 1950's, I knew a retarded neighbor who'd been castrated for the same eugenic reasons.)

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  21:37:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is intentional harm, and completely unacceptable.... but it hardly compares to forced sterilization or nazi experimentation.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:53:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see it like HalfMooner does.
From the article,, "offering a 'ritual nick', such as pricking or minor incisions of girls' clitorises."
bolding mine

The above quote was composed with great care, I'm sure. They are trying to make this out to be no big deal. We're not talking ear piercing. Let's be clear, they are proposing to allow the cutting through outer skin and the cutting of the organ itself as being acceptable. They are nuts. This is not minor, as they call it. Clit's are highly sensitive and should never be "incised" (cut), not for any reason they've given. When this RITUAL is done in Africa and elsewhere around the world, it can include the partial removal of the clitoris and can go much further. If anyone is not familiar with whats involved maybe they need to see it in pictures, that show just how extreme (fucked up) a ritual nick or minor incision can be. Even in the simplest form shown (B TYPE 1), partial or full removal of the clitoris can take place.

As far as what the Nazi's did. I'll agree that based on how it's described in the quote, this is not the same as putting human beings into a vacuum chamber to "study" the effects, which was filmed or injecting chemicals into one twin while not the other, as a control. I have watched accounts from people who describe what occur in these films and heard more than one twin give their accounts about their experiences. In some cases their twin did not survive. Most definitely if this ritual is carried out fully, this is as abhorrent as other things the Nazi's did. The fact that one did not actually witness them, is no fact to it never happening. The facts are there for anyone to do with and interpret or ignore, as they will.

Remember this ritual is done under the banner of furthering morality and religious beliefs. When under the delusion of pleasing a deity, there is no despicable act banned by some. Whether it's the deeds written about in the bible or in the newspapers today. Deeds like cold blooded murder in the streets, in a church here in the US or in Mosques anywhere, are done in the name of God and should be condemned. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 05/08/2010 11:58:03
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  21:36:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do we compare this to male circumcision? I think the AMA has said there is no medical reason it is necessary either, given access to proper hygiene. With anesthesia, it is not supposed to be painful, so there's certainly a difference there, but still, is it not simply cutting off boys' body parts for ritual purposes? Would we oppose FGM if it was not painful? (I oppose either really...)

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 05/10/2010 22:50:16
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  20:13:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some eLetters to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Nine comments re: FGM, none in favor of the change in policy.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/eletters/125/5/1088

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  20:33:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

Here are some eLetters to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Nine comments re: FGM, none in favor of the change in policy.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/eletters/125/5/1088
Oh wonderful! I hope that insane policy will be retracted soon!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.