Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  17:34:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone4rock:
I do think that it is entirely possible to eradicate religion in the course of two generations. It would take a huge effort by all of humanity but I think it could be done.

And just what would get "all of humanity" interested in such a venture? Really. If my aunt had nuts she's be my uncle.

That said, I can't see anything wrong with just sitting there and waiting out a prayer before dinner. It's not a big deal. It could be that I would want to talk to them about why I don't take part, but that's about it. I'm a guest in their home. I don't have to be there. I have friends who are very religious. Our friendship is not based on our agreement in that area. If it were, we wouldn't be friends. I can still be an activist skeptic, a strong humanist and even a "militant" atheist and we would still be friends.

Edited.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  21:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just what would get "all of humanity" interested in such a venture? Really. If my aunt had nuts she's be my uncle.

Good question. I shall make it my goal to find an answer.
That said, I can't see anything wrong with just sitting there and waiting out a prayer before dinner. It's not a big deal.

Thats what I do.
A guy's gotta be able to bitch about something doesn't he?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  21:48:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

That said, I can't see anything wrong with just sitting there and waiting out a prayer before dinner. It's not a big deal.
Same here, but that doesn't make it a complete non-issue, either. It's definitely a little deal. But Elmo is here to tell us that if we're bothered by it at all, then we need professional help.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  04:47:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Yep. It's not a big deal. I have been asked one time to give thanks and my response was that "I do not pray". But that was Ok with my father-in-law. I believe he appreciated the honesty and the fact that I sat there quietly while he gave thanks countless times in the past.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  05:20:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I do think that it is entirely possible to eradicate religion in the course of two generations. It would take a huge effort by all of humanity but I think it could be done.

Sorry but that isnt going to happen without at least a billion dead and a total global dictatorship, even so religion would persist in the underground, impossible to eradicate. If you think some happy Star Trek future is possible, you will need to get different meds.*

*To continue the 'you need meds' theme in this thread

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 05/21/2010 05:26:49
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  05:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

...and a total global dictatorship...
I promise, I'll be a benign, friendly dictator.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  05:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry but that isnt going to happen without at least a billion dead and a total global dictatorship, even so religion would persist in the underground, impossible to eradicate. If you think some happy Star Trek future is possible, you will need to get different meds.*

A guy can dream can't he?

I only believe in meds for recreational use.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  06:10:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dreamers have no place in Oceania and Oceania will always be at war with Eurasia.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  06:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

...and a total global dictatorship...
I promise, I'll be a benign, friendly dictator.

I went to the herpetologist once to have a benign dictator looked at...fortunately it was just an ingrown hair.

*edited because I have an aversion to spellcheck

Edited by - Ebone4rock on 05/21/2010 06:59:15
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  06:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may want a second opinion, Im not sure an amphibian expert is qualified to diagnose a benign dictator.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  07:40:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You may want a second opinion, Im not sure an amphibian expert is qualified to diagnose a benign dictator.

Thank you for the advice. I'll see if someone can recomend a good gynecologist.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.