RIP Ronnie James Dio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  17:52:00  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you guys have heard this, but Ronnie James Dio, one of the greatest pure heavy metal vocalists, passed away yesterday. I am impressed at how "mainstream" this news is. NPR did a story on him and my wife heard it on the evening news. He is truly a legend with an incredible set of pipes.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  19:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

I'm sure you guys have heard this, but Ronnie James Dio, one of the greatest pure heavy metal vocalists, passed away yesterday. I am impressed at how "mainstream" this news is. NPR did a story on him and my wife heard it on the evening news. He is truly a legend with an incredible set of pipes.

Yeah. Bummer...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  04:12:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Dio was a huge influence on me becoming a singer. I had the good fortune of meeting him briefly in 1997. Super cool guy. Totally approachable with no big rock star attitude. I will miss him. Luckily we have about 40 years of recordings to enjoy his talent.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Ronnie James Dio Here is a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqn34CGO-1U&feature=related

[Edited to fix link - Dave W.]

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  07:11:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading several forums where people are recounting their remembrances, and the common thread that you stated is that he was a very down-to-earth, genuinely nice guy.

I've also heard tales of him ending concerts by telling the audience to "remember to vote". On the face of it, that doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you consider the audience and the perception of the "live fast, die young" heavy metal lifestyle, that's actually a pretty thoughtful and sober request.

I don't listen to much metal these days (I'm more into the sinister-sounding King Crimson), I am an old-style heavy metal fan (Rush up to "all the world' a stage", early Sabbath, early Aerosmith). For me, Dio is THE quintessential metal vocalist. And as recently as last year, his voice was still in top form. I loved Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll.

I didn't know that started out in "doo-wop". He is a much more well-rounded personality that I ever knew. It's a shame that it took his passing for me to "come back" to him. I'm going miss him, knowing that he's not out there.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  08:06:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that started out in "doo-wop". He is a much more well-rounded personality that I ever knew. It's a shame that it took his passing for me to "come back" to him. I'm going miss him, knowing that he's not out there.

I know! Isn't that a freak!

Dio is one along with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and F'ING SLAYER!! that I have always listened to regularly. I came into metal when speed/thrash metal was on the rise.
He is truly one of the greatest metal vocalists of all time. Did you see the " Heaven and Hell" video? It was recorded like a year and a half ago. He was still on top of his game.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  08:11:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I know! Isn't that a freak!

Dio is one along with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and F'ING SLAYER!! that I have always listened to regularly. I came into metal when speed/thrash metal was on the rise.
He is truly one of the greatest metal vocalists of all time. Did you see the " Heaven and Hell" video? It was recorded like a year and a half ago. He was still on top of his game.
I linked to a great "Heaven and Hell" video on facebook. I would put one here, but I'm out of time...

Imagine how good you would have to be to sing lead in Black Sabbath after Ozzy went solo. Dio pulled it off! Plus he could actually write songs.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  08:27:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Imagine how good you would have to be to sing lead in Black Sabbath after Ozzy went solo. Dio pulled it off! Plus he could actually write songs.

I have a friend that refers to Dio as " The only good singer Sabbath ever had".

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  08:35:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock
Did you see the " Heaven and Hell" video? It was recorded like a year and a half ago. He was still on top of his game.

Yes. When I was searching the web yesterday, I ran across it. His voice hasn't changed a bit. I get chills up my spine when I hear him. There are only a handful of singers that give me chills like him. I'm running out of superlatives but phenomenal describes him INadequately. I'm not a singer, but I wonder how he kept his pipes in shape.

Kil, you got it right on. Only Dio could step into Ozzy's shoes and make Sabbath his own.

I'm glad he's getting recognition outside of the "metal" realm, for his talent, impact, and for being an all around good guy, even though it's happening due to his passing. Again, I'm going to miss him.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  09:02:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but I wonder how he kept his pipes in shape.

Thats the good thing about being a singer. As long as you don't smoke too much, drink too much, or swallow sulfuric acid then you can have a lifetime career.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.