General Discussion
 *Facepalm* in the U.K.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  05:31:34  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/19/london-olympics-2012-mascot
So I guess they didnt learn from the previous REALLY stupid olympic mascots...I love how the article is 100% praise and the user comments are 100% negative.

Note to designers, quit using kids as a crutch for your awful designs, it is possible to make something that kids AND adults like. Kids like really terrible things, they are not good judges of anything.*

*See Barney, Power Rangers, Saved By The Bell, etc.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  05:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to figure out what those two characters have anything at all to do with the Olympics.
Is it me or do many characters created and aimed at children seem to be phallic symbols? (i.e. the characters on Spongebob Squarepants)
Saved By The Bell, etc.

Hey! Whats wrong with Saves By The Bell? That show had some seriously hot chicks!

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  05:57:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some things can't be justified by simply including hot chicks, the "quality" of SBTB being one of them. I'm sure Cop Rock had a hot chick or two, but making it through the youtube videos is hard enough, let alone watching a whole episode.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  06:22:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Some things can't be justified by simply including hot chicks, the "quality" of SBTB being one of them. I'm sure Cop Rock had a hot chick or two, but making it through the youtube videos is hard enough, let alone watching a whole episode.

Here lies a fundamental difference in our philosophies. As far as I'm concerned as long as there are hot chicks then whatever it is it has to be good.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  06:41:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nazi party had hot chicks.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  06:57:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nice!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  07:21:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/19/london-olympics-2012-mascot
So I guess they didnt learn from the previous REALLY stupid olympic mascots...I love how the article is 100% praise and the user comments are 100% negative.

Note to designers, quit using kids as a crutch for your awful designs, it is possible to make something that kids AND adults like. Kids like really terrible things, they are not good judges of anything.*

*See Barney, Power Rangers, Saved By The Bell, etc.
Seriously?

On your marks for the 2012 Olympic blobs: London mascots rival that dreaded logo

They only have one pair of eyes between them and look like Sonic the Hedgehog crossed with a character from the Disney film Monsters Inc.

But you had better get used to these strange blob-like creatures because Wenlock and Mandeville, as they are known, are the mascots for the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics respectively, and will be all over Britain for the next two years.

Following the ridicule over the £400,000 Olympic logo, their creators will be hoping that Wenlock and Mandeville get a more favourable reception - even though they too carry the much-mocked 2012 image.

The good news, I suppose, is that no one really remembers the mascots once the Olympics are held. These mascots might just be bad enough to cause some kind of rethink before the 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympic game mascots are unveiled.

Probably not...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  09:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah Rio knows whats up, their solution to this thread is to make Carnival hot chicks into thier mascots...50% of kids will like them too!

Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  21:05:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First the UK couldn't come up with a good political party. Then they couldn't come up with a good Olympic mascot. Nice. :P

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  21:53:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm saddened by the idea of how much time and money must have gone into designing these monstrosities.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  03:17:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the committees of corporate suits. And the ENDLESS meetings... *shudder*

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  04:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, and so did Col. Sanders.....

Was I mistaken, or did I see those two bits of nonsense in a TV commercial? I was only half paying attention; just enough to hit the mute button on the remote. They, if indeed it was them, were very irritating.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  08:44:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This certainly earns the WTF? of the week award.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  12:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Wenlock and Mandeville will "grow" on us.

I say this because they certainly look like some kind of tumors.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  17:04:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Yes, and so did Col. Sanders.....

Was I mistaken, or did I see those two bits of nonsense in a TV commercial? I was only half paying attention; just enough to hit the mute button on the remote. They, if indeed it was them, were very irritating.

I was mistaken. The commercial, flogging some sort of appliance, used very similar, knock-off animation -- who comes up with that drivel, anyway?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.