Let's do the math....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  11:38:10  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am reading that some 57 ancient, Egyptian tombs have been found, the oldest of them dating to around 2750 BCE. Now then, the YECs insist that the earth is only some 6,000 years old, and the Big Ridiculous Flood happened some 4,000 years or a little less years ago, and the CE period began some 2,000 years ago -- ah, screw the math! This is an excellent, albeit rather ghoulish discovery.
CAIRO (AP) -- Archeologists have unearthed 57 ancient Egyptian tombs, most of which hold an ornately painted wooden sarcophagus with a mummy inside, Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities said Sunday.

The oldest tombs date back to around 2750 B.C. during the period of Egypt's first and second dynasties, the council said in a statement. Twelve of the tombs belong the 18th dynasty which ruled Egypt during the second millennium B.C.

The discovery throws new light on Egypt's ancient religions, the council said.

Egypt's archaeology chief, Zahi Hawass, said the mummies dating to the 18th dynasty are covered in linen decorated with religious texts from the Book of the Dead and scenes featuring ancient Egyptian deities.

Abdel Rahman El-Aydi, head of the archaeological mission that made the discovery, said some of the tombs are decorated with religious texts that ancient Egyptians believed would help the deceased to cross through the underworld.

El-Aydi said one of the oldest tombs is almost completely intact, with all of its funerary equipment and a wooden sarcophagus containing a mummy wrapped in linen.

Sort'a dries up the Biblical flood myth, doesn't it? Don'tcha just hate when that happens? Yeah, me too....

But all is not lost; this find has the potential to teach us a lot about ancient Egypt, the birthplace of western civilization, while the Bible teaches us historical squat.

But the fundies are nothing if not imaginative. It will be interesting to see what apologetics they come up with to write it off. And if they ignore it, as they might, well, that will say a lot, too.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  12:43:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if the descendants of Noa's sons were to pick up the Egyptian culture and continued it exactly as it was before the flood, the tombs would be damaged by the muddy water from the flood. Not intact.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  13:32:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously the tombs are not as old as the "scientists" claim they are. Stupid scientists.

That will be the fundie response.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  16:37:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Sort'a dries up the Biblical flood myth, doesn't it?

Well, if one were rational, logical, etc., then yes. As for other people like that guy, JediHunter, that I've been debating as per topic http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13160 rejects the tree ring evidence that goes back ~10,000 years. And the ice core evidence? Pshah! {hand wave away} {hand wave away}
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  17:09:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those tombs would have been on the sea-bottom for many months, well over 8,000 meters deep, in the world-wide Deluge ocean. That the mummy wrappings and paintings on wood could have survived so perfectly is impossible. From these facts alone, it's clear there never was a Noah's Flood 4,000 years ago. But the mummies date from about 4,760 years ago.

Also, bristlecone pines of the American West, some nearly 5,000 years old, would have died after being submerged miles deep under the ocean.

Only idiots and/or liars claim to believe in the Biblical Flood.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  21:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Mooner, GOD is omnipotent! He just leaves confusing crap, like the millions of data points that mutually exclude a global flood, around to test the faith of his creations!

That's what the fundies will tell you.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  21:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, it makes sense now: the observable world is a deception yet the correct interpretations of the scriptures within the observable world are not!
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  15:01:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

'Mooner, GOD is omnipotent! He just leaves confusing crap, like the millions of data points that mutually exclude a global flood, around to test the faith of his creations!

It's meant to weed out those with weak faith of course!

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  16:14:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What can anyone say to a person afraid of the dark? Unwilling to believe that wooden houses creak and there is no boogieman watching them from a shadow, preparing to pounce as soon a they fall asleep. What a terrifying way to live! It is sick, to perpetuate that baseless fantasy onto their own and others children, even after growing up themselves and long after they have evidence or know their own lack of. That is what we have going on. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 05/27/2010 16:18:04
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  09:27:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy, there are a million different ways the fundies can reconcile this......and not one of them will make any reasonable sense.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  21:16:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys crack me up. A great historical find and all you guys care about is how it will affect fundies.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  21:32:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

You guys crack me up. A great historical find and all you guys care about is how it will affect fundies.

Well... I care about the find, but this is a skeptic's site after all. Perhaps if we weren't dealing with creationists trying to put their "science" into science textbooks and complaining all the time about "Darwinists" we would have no reason to point out that the find also debunks the stupid "flood geology" myth. Eh?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  03:06:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

It's called, "slippin' one in through the side door." I've managed to put up an excellent article for anyone interested in Egyptology and at the same time poked a little fun at some people whom I consider to be all but certifiable, as the mainstream Flood Wallopers certainly are.

Worked pretty well, didn't it?

In all truth, due to my recent hiatus, I don't know how well it worked. I've checked the sites of the usual suspects and found nothing concerning it. Perhaps they too, did the math, came up short, and decided that no comment was better than encouraging their rank & file to start figgerin' as well.

Evidently, Robb, you enjoyed the article as much as I did. The history of ancient Egypt is fascinating, is it not?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  07:24:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Evidently, Robb, you enjoyed the article as much as I did. The history of ancient Egypt is fascinating, is it not?

Yes, my children love ancient egypt and have been studying it for awhile. We went to see the King Tut exhibit when it was in Dallas last year and we all found it very interesting. Also my 5 yo's favorite toy.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.