Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  07:02:16  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The oil spill in the Gulf Of Mexico makes me want to puke. Thank goodness for guys like Kevin Costner. I hope his contraption works.
http://www.tonic.com/article/environmentalist-kevin-costner-takes-on-oil-gusher/

It's wierd. I would normally feel outrage at something like this. Instead I only feel sorrow and sick to my stomach.

Thoughts?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  07:46:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel outrage. I am also sickened by the spill. The outrage comes from the guarantee that the technology already existed to stop a deep ocean leak when clearly it didn't. BP is "trying things." This after the oil industry assured the government that the technology was sound and safe. I'm outraged that a $500,000 device that could have prevented this mess was not used in order to cut costs. That can be traced back to a meeting the oil men had with Dick Cheney. Oil people overseeing the oil industry is a prescription for disaster.

This is the worst oil spill in US history, and perhaps the worst environmental disaster ever, in our history. And it didn't have to happen the way that it did. So yeah, I'm outraged...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  08:01:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I feel outrage. I am also sickened by the spill. The outrage comes from the guarantee that the technology already existed to stop a deep ocean leak when clearly it didn't. BP is "trying things." This after the oil industry assured the government that the technology was sound and safe. I'm outraged that a $500,000 device that could have prevented this mess was not used in order to cut costs. That can be traced back to a meeting the oil men had with Dick Cheney. Oil people overseeing the oil industry is a prescription for disaster.

This is the worst oil spill in US history, and perhaps the worst environmental disaster ever, in our history. And it didn't have to happen the way that it did. So yeah, I'm outraged...

I hear ya Kil. It's probably just too early for me to feel outrage yet. I'm more concerned about getting it cleaned up first then we can play the blame game later.
The thing that saddens me the most is that the Gulf area is now ruined for thousands and thousands of years no matter how fast it gets cleaned up.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  08:06:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do people always want to play the "blame game" later?

Now, when evidence is fresh, and records haven't been destroyed, is the only real time to assess blame.

Aren't we capable of multitasking? Besides, what possible part in the clean up could investigators take? It's not as if they are even involved in the clean up.

Blame now, when you can fucking prove wrongdoing. Not later when evidence has been destroyed, hidden, and altered to cover BP's ass.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  08:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Now, when evidence is fresh, and records haven't been destroyed, is the only real time to assess blame.

Aren't we capable of multitasking? Besides, what possible part in the clean up could investigators take? It's not as if they are even involved in the clean up.

Blame now, when you can fucking prove wrongdoing. Not later when evidence has been destroyed, hidden, and altered to cover BP's ass.

Well, because the most immediate concern is the clean up. Everyone knows who is to blame. There is no way the will get away with it.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  08:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Well, because the most immediate concern is the clean up. Everyone knows who is to blame. There is no way the will get away with it.
Dude is right. Energy policy is being made now. The clean up will take years and years. They are different issues. Both have to be dealt with. We can't get to an informed energy policy, especially where it comes to deep ocean oil drilling, unless we know what went wrong, NOW! This is not a game. Figuring out what went wrong, which can only be done by looking at how the decisions were made is the only way to not make the same mistakes again.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  08:59:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude is right. Energy policy is being made now. The clean up will take years and years. They are different issues. Both have to be dealt with. We can't get to an informed energy policy, especially where it comes to deep ocean oil drilling, unless we know what went wrong, NOW! This is not a game. Figuring out what went wrong, which can only be done by looking at how the decisions were made is the only way to not make the same mistakes again.

You guys are right. I concede.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  09:20:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! A wee bit of oil getting you down?
posted by Ebone4rock
Ah but Dave, the apathetic are busy being happy! Why should they make themselves miserable?

Maybe we should going swimming in it, Ebe? That should make us as sick about this, as the state of politics. Then we can walk around with our fingers in our ears singing "La La La". Then this won't bother or hurt us any more or make us unhappy.

Actually, I don't understand why anyone is getting all jacked out of shape about this. I find it a very hypocritical for those who fake real concern over this and I'll explain why. God loves us and will take care of us. This is after all part of God's master plan. We are in the lords care and that is all that is really important. This life, all the people and this planet are not what is truly important. It is our souls that is important. So accept Jesus, get as many people as you can to accept Jesus and it will be all right.

Sara Palin know this and we all should to. What we need is to listen to Sara.

Sara Palin
Petroleum is a major part of America’s energy picture. Shall we get it here or abroad?

Given that we’re spending billions of stimulus dollars to rebuild our highways, it makes sense to think about what we’ll be driving on them. For years to come, most of what we drive will be powered, at least in part, by diesel fuel or gasoline. To fuel that driving, we need access to oil. The less use we make of our own reserves, the more we will have to import, which leads to a number of harmful consequences. That means we need to drill here and drill now.

We have the technology, not the will, and not the leaders. Two out of three ain't bad but one out of three, won't get it. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 05/28/2010 09:26:55
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  09:31:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

posted by Ebone4rock
Ah but Dave, the apathetic are busy being happy! Why should they make themselves miserable?

Maybe we should going swimming in it, Ebe? That should make us as sick about this, as the state of politics. Then we can walk around with our fingers in our ears singing "La La La". Then this won't bother or hurt us any more or make us unhappy.

Actually, I don't understand why anyone is getting all jacked out of shape about this. I find it a very hypocritical for those who fake real concern over this and I'll explain why. God loves us and will take care of us. This is after all part of God's master plan. We are in the lords care and that is all that is really important. This life, all the people and this planet are not what is truly important. It is our souls that is important. So accept Jesus, get as many people as you can to accept Jesus and it will be all right.

Sara Palin
Petroleum is a major part of America’s energy picture. Shall we get it here or abroad?

Given that we’re spending billions of stimulus dollars to rebuild our highways, it makes sense to think about what we’ll be driving on them. For years to come, most of what we drive will be powered, at least in part, by diesel fuel or gasoline. To fuel that driving, we need access to oil. The less use we make of our own reserves, the more we will have to import, which leads to a number of harmful consequences. That means we need to drill here and drill now.

We have the technology, not the will, and not the leaders. Two out of three ain't bad but one out of three, won't get it. SS

SS, I'm having a hard time following you here.......pass that bong to someone else for a minute.

The technology is there to become less dependent on oil. I remember many years ago when our company was trying to teach us to "think outside of the box" a speaker came and showed us a movie about some college kids doing a semester project and they developed a car that ran on hydaulic pressure...the damn thing did 55 mph! Why is this technology and other like it being held back from production????!!!!????

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  12:33:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pissed - this is in my backyard - I go to Dauphin Island (Mobile AL barrier island) regularly in the summer - now that may be ruined, not to mention the delicate ecosystem in Mobile Bay and all the way down the coast - there are endangered species all over the place which were already under the gun from all the shit coming from up north via the rivers.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  18:11:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every time I look at news of the oil spill, I actually very faintly smell oil. (I know it's an imaginary odor, and maybe it's slightly bonkers of me, but I do).

This is a horrendous disaster. None of Big Oil's vaunted prevention technologies (such as the blowout preventer) worked, perhaps because it's expensive and troublesome to change batteries.

BP has been as dishonest as they get away with throughout this catastrophe. Only after all these weeks have they at last today admitted it is a catastrophe.

Bad as it is, the spill pales in comparison to the enormously greater process of man-made global warming. That this disaster was caused by exploration for more oil at a time when we must stop burning fossil fuels makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  19:49:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by sailingsoul

posted by Ebone4rock

Sara Palin

SS, I'm having a hard time following you here.......pass that bong to someone else for a minute.

The technology is there to become less dependent on oil. I remember many years ago when our company was trying to teach us to "think outside of the box" a speaker came and showed us a movie about some college kids doing a semester project and they developed a car that ran on hydaulic pressure...the damn thing did 55 mph! Why is this technology and other like it being held back from production????!!!!????

He is mocking your for your apathy and then being sarcastic about Palin.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  21:32:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does Pat Booberson have to say about this?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  04:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He is mocking your for your apathy and then being sarcastic about Palin.

About my post. I was not mocking Ebone. Certainly not intentionally or with malice. Just as he stated in the thread where he bought up being apathetic (not this thread), I'll use his same words here "please take these thoughts for the semi-facetious thoughts that they are".
Just so there is no misinterpretation, in place of "semi-facetious" one can use humorous. I understood that was his position there and assumed that light would carry over to my comment and why I added the grin. Apparently it wasn't so obvious. My error.

On the part about the spill being God's plan etc. Oh Yes! I was mocking theists. Believe it or not, I was only remotely addressing theists here. While writing that, I was recalling being in a heighbor's back yard, on a canal in Florida. While looking into the canal I noticed a slight oil sheen on the water that was coming from his sea wall. When I spoke of this, my neigbor explained. He said, "Oh! when I change my oil, I bury it in my yard" When he saw the look on my face he added "Oh, when Jesus comes and vanquishes satin, he'll
renew the earth and that won't be a problem" I am not joking, He really said that to me. That memory was what was going through my mind when I wrote

I was being sarcastic about Palin. At least someone got that, Dude! However not with out her help. Thank you Sara.

This makes me wonder just how much I write is not as clear as it cloud be. More than less, I use this approach. I'll have to think on that.
I would rather not post if it's going to come out wrong. I know no one visits here to be put off and they shouldn't be. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  04:59:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SS, it's indeed infamously easy to be misunderstood online. Even worse is attempting humor on the Innertubes. Everyone ends up just thinking you're an asshole. Personally, my solution is to simply be an asshole.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  07:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

SS, it's indeed infamously easy to be misunderstood online. Even worse is attempting humor on the Innertubes. Everyone ends up just thinking you're an asshole. Personally, my solution is to simply be an asshole.
Yes. Mooner is happy staying in his comfort zone...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.