New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  09:33:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

SS, it's indeed infamously easy to be misunderstood online. Even worse is attempting humor on the Innertubes. Everyone ends up just thinking you're an asshole. Personally, my solution is to simply be an asshole.

That's one solution HM but keeping it to a minimum has it's benefits too. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

SS, it's indeed infamously easy to be misunderstood online. Even worse is attempting humor on the Innertubes. Everyone ends up just thinking you're an asshole. Personally, my solution is to simply be an asshole.

That's one solution HM but keeping it to a minimum has it's benefits too. SS
And that's exactly where I fail.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:13:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Yes. Mooner is happy staying in his comfort zone...
I'm thankful that SFN has seen the wisdom of providing me that zone.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  01:01:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And that's exactly where I fail.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Pspsup

1 Post

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  06:03:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pspsup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well this contraption does work and has been used three time before to clean up oil. www.thomsea.fr/ it could also employ the fisherman put out of work, BP should buy thousands and deploy rather than masking the issue with dispersants. The navy should be out there in full force towing these skimmers..
the damage is done, we have to clean it up asap before its permeant
Edited by - Pspsup on 06/03/2010 06:08:15
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  11:35:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Pspsup
Originally posted by Pspsup

well this contraption does work and has been used three time before to clean up oil. www.thomsea.fr/ it could also employ the fisherman put out of work, BP should buy thousands and deploy rather than masking the issue with dispersants. The navy should be out there in full force towing these skimmers..
the damage is done, we have to clean it up asap before its permeant

This "contraption" is only practical with localized surface collection of floating pollutants that can be collected quickly. Like a spill inside a bay or on a lake. Out on open water the floating oil can spread some miles every hour driven by wind and currents. They break up and spread out very quickly. Oil floating on the water will evaporate off it's lighter components like, naphtha, benzene, gasoline, kerosene, light gas oil and fuel oil, eventually turning tar like then sinks. Different grades of crude have different proportions. This device is virtually useless with this spill or any that have had time to travel over open water. Cutting your lawn with scissors might get the job done over a day or two. This approach used on this spill is way more futile.
As far as cleaning it up quickly, to late. This is far from over. Even after they get it stopped tar will be washing up for a couple years. SS

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  12:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been watching the live video feeds at CNN.com from the activity at the top of the so-called Blow-Out Preventer.

The situation after the blowout and the collapse of the drilling rig was that the riser pipe formerly leading to the surface also collapsed, leaving what looked like a bent and cracked plastic drinking straw trailing sidewise from the top of the BOP. To have any chance of putting a cap over the leak, the riser needed to be cut off, as neatly as possible.

Having failed recently to use a precision diamond wire saw to cut off the rise, a brutish, car sized shear was used instead. That worked, but left the cut end of the riser rather "out-of-round," and with a large rough hunk of "burr" sticking out to one side. That burr would doubtless prevent even the rough seal the engineers were hoping for.

So the robot operators have been using a circular saw to attempt to lop off the burr. It's very tedious work. One arm of the robot must grip the BOP for stability, while the other manipulates the circular saw into place. Every time the circular saw begins to rotate, a cloud of atomized oil from the leak (the work is right at the leak) almost instantly obscures vision, and cutting must be done all but blindly.

I find watching this work rather riveting. I am completely sympathetic to the remote operators of the robots, who have a difficult job to do, using awkward equipment in a hostile environment a mile below the sea's surface.

There! After many tries, they finally cut the burr off, while I was typing this post.

Those operators are blue-collar people who, in the mind of the public are probably tarred with the same oily brush as BP, and will probably never get the credit that is their due. But my hat's off to them.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  16:22:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems baby oil will be the must have item when going to the beach this year, joining sun block. It removes the oily tar off your feet. Here is a video that shows how the oil could spread. Remember it started late Apr. 20,10. That's 46 days ago. You can pause on day 46 and see where we're at today. Then how it continues to spread until day 132. Prepare to get sick, now.

By the end of the summer people all along the coast from Louisiana to the North Carolina should be ready to disapprove more off shore drilling for quite some time. Maybe some will question if off shore wind farms are really that ugly to look at from a few miles away. I don't expect them to go that way though. Because if a windmill fails is no big deal. The government probably will back someway that when it goes wrong it will fuck up a large area and affect a lot of people, while having legislation in place that limits the liabilities of the investors. Leaving the injured parties (people)to fend for themselves and putting the rest of the bills on the taxpayers. Now what could that be? I know! Anyone want to guess how long it is before we start hearing more about how Nuclear is the answer to our energy needs? I can imagine the gears are spinning up right now. Nuclear promoters have got to be giggling with glee right now. A accident, like Chernobyl, in the USA would make this look like spilled milk. Any doubters? SS

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  16:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we did have Three Mile Island that soured us on Nukes and so we never fully pursued that path. Apparently it is too risky for us even though the French have been using it for decades.
The New Yorker had a wonderful article on risk and how we don't manage it well. It seems that we expect the best and don't prepare for the worst.

The industry and gov't were ill prepared to deal with an accident with this type of drilling. It is as if it never dawned on them that this could happen. You can put as many backup systems in place but if you do not address human complacency, you will have disasters.
Edited by - Rubicon95 on 06/03/2010 16:57:55
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  21:17:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly, one idea to clean up the oil spill is to bomb the well with nuclear weapons.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  21:50:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

Surprisingly, one idea to clean up the oil spill is to bomb the well with nuclear weapons.
It's a surprising idea, all right. Only one way to find out if it works.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  09:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not surprised that the media waste your/our time reporting that, podcat. How much time did they spend seriously discussing it? Just one sentence was way more than it deserved. The media says "Oh we need to explore all ideas". Bullshit, not that one. NPR did a show that aired and took calls as is their shtick. They did their job as usual. They had an expert on who wrote a book, which they dutifully mention several times during that hour. A real expert, that spent an hour stammering and stuttering out comments, sounding like a 6 year old who has yet fully master language. He threw adverbs and adjectives around so much it made some comments so nonspecific they were meaningless. He gave the ritual comment to several callers "that's a great question" like clock work. That happens on every show about anything. They took one call from a elderly man how had to be told putting a big bolder on it "isn't likely" going to work. Another call from a woman who was worried that it might start raining oil on us. The expert assured the that it "probably" won't happen. I think she was left still believing it could. I'm not joking. With NPR shows, I'm dumbfounded to think these are the best calls their screener can put through. Given how much NPR talks about how intelligent their listeners are. The more minutes the talking heads spend on serious (not) suggestions or thoughts like these, the less bad press BP gets and the more fantasy distractions we get. No matter what don't stop the carnival. SS
Edited to shorten. ss

Edited by - sailingsoul on 06/04/2010 09:38:19
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  18:25:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

It seems baby oil will be the must have item when going to the beach this year, joining sun block. It removes the oily tar off your feet. Here is a video that shows how the oil could spread. Remember it started late Apr. 20,10. That's 46 days ago. You can pause on day 46 and see where we're at today. Then how it continues to spread until day 132. Prepare to get sick, now.

By the end of the summer people all along the coast from Louisiana to the North Carolina should be ready to disapprove more off shore drilling for quite some time. Maybe some will question if off shore wind farms are really that ugly to look at from a few miles away. I don't expect them to go that way though. Because if a windmill fails is no big deal. The government probably will back someway that when it goes wrong it will fuck up a large area and affect a lot of people, while having legislation in place that limits the liabilities of the investors. Leaving the injured parties (people)to fend for themselves and putting the rest of the bills on the taxpayers. Now what could that be? I know! Anyone want to guess how long it is before we start hearing more about how Nuclear is the answer to our energy needs? I can imagine the gears are spinning up right now. Nuclear promoters have got to be giggling with glee right now. A accident, like Chernobyl, in the USA would make this look like spilled milk. Any doubters? SS

Not keeping up much with nuclear power technology are you SS?

France has 59 nuclear power plants. The newer plants pose a much lower risk of melting down, there is almost zero chance of a "chernobyl" level accident with any modern plant. Lets also recall that the USSR didn't exactly keep that plant well maintained, and that is was poorly constructed by any standard to begin with.

Then we can talk about pebble bed reactors. They can't melt down. At all.

Pebble Bed Reactor

Expect China to install about 300 of these in the next few decades.

Fuel reprocessing and waste disposal are the only problems left for nuclear energy, and those can be solved if we bother to do it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  02:56:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still spending breaks from packing household goods by watching BP's underwater cameras, via CNN. The cap they have (somewhat) in place over the cut-off riser at the top of the blow-out preventer has huge amounts of oil erupting from under it.

The cap is anything but "capping? the leak. You can watch the whole cap bouncing about in relation to the BOP on top of the forceful blast of the leak.

The plan, as I understand it, is to gradually shut the several vents near the top of the cap. These have been left open as a precaution against the possible influx of cold seawater, which might otherwise cause the buildup of methane hydrate ice (a problem that contributed to the failure of the first capping attempt).

The idea is to close pone after the other of these vents, and monitor the results. If that goes well, the cap will be pressed down with great weights to make it seal better than it has done. One estimate I've heard is that about 20% of the oil leaking from the well is now being captured and pumped into a tanker on the surface. (From my own amateur eyeball estimate, I'd be somewhat surprised it it were that much. I suspect that more oil is leaking into the sea right now than before the riser was cut below its crimps.)

The hope, I hear, is that once the cap is forced down onto the cut riser, and additional hoses are attached to the BOP below that to provide other routes to the surface tanker, about 80% of the leaking oil will be captured into the tanker. (That assumes that the hydrates don't cause blockages.) That's not good enough, but it's better than having most of the leak go directly into the ocean.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/05/2010 02:57:57
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  10:41:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right-wing pundits ludicrously blame oil spill on environmentalists

I'm not going to copy and paste this thing. Too much here. Just read it.

I'm not surprised by this. In a sane world I would be, I suppose...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.