Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  05:05:49  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this in the latest Skeptic magazine and then went to wikipedia and found essentially the same content. Worth sharing and it is insane that failures of the device are blamed on the user. But as Elton John once sang, "I guess that's why they call it the woooo." Or something like that.

"Bomb detection woo. On the bright side at least they get to wave people through with a $60,000 devining rod."

ADE 651

I suspect that the terrorists are snickering too.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  08:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite the controversy, the device is still being used at checkpoints across Iraq. The Iraqi Interior Ministry has defended the continued use of the ADE-651. The head of the ministry's counter-explosives unit, General Jihad al-Jabiri, told the BBC that his organisation had "conducted several tests on them, and found them successful. In addition, we have a series of achievements officially documented by the Baghdad operations centre, from all the provinces, which establish that these devices detected thousands of bombs, booby-trapped houses and car bombs, and we've noticed a reduction of bombing activities to less than 10 per cent of what it was." A senior ministry official, Assistant Deputy Minister General Tareq al-Asl, told Asharq Al-Awsat: "The reason the director of the company was arrested was not because the device doesn't work, but because he refused to divulge the secret of how it works to the British authorities, and the Americans before them. I have tested it in practice and it works effectively and 100% reliably."[35]

I love this part.
Why is it that the fools who purchase bogus things like this will defend it to the end even though it has been proven to be false?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  08:41:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What bullshit! Taxpayers scammed and people die. James Randy commented on it too here and with a video. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  08:54:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the mark up. It's almost 100%. No wonder people go into the scam trade...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  18:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I love the mark up. It's almost 100%. No wonder people go into the scam trade...

Yep! For those laughing on the way to the bank it's like getting paid thrice. For some it's the only way to go.
Oh there's lots of products like that, legal too.
Crude oil's the same. Find the right spot get controll and pump it out like water, $75 a barrel (42 gallons). Even better, bottled water at a quick stop, $1.00+ for a 16 oz bottle. Some brands are filtered municipal city water that goes for more than gasoline.
The all time best is religion. Selling a delusional fantasy and all income is TAX free. Scientology anyone? Ca-ching! SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  05:26:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bottle water is the one that gets me. I have been filtering my own water (Omni filter) for nearly 10 years. My opinion is that it tastes as good as what people buy.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  06:13:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Bottle water is the one that gets me. I have been filtering my own water (Omni filter) for nearly 10 years. My opinion is that it tastes as good as what people buy.

Thats because it is exactly the same combination of hydrogen and oxygen whether it is bought in a store or coming out of your tap.

I've been trying to explain to my wife for years that there is no need to purchase all of the bottled water she does. We have a PUR water filter on our faucet! For some reason she thinks the bottled water tastes better. Bullshit!

Bottled water is a scam! The only difference is that it is packaged in a convenient carrying device........I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a nice drinking vessel for around a $1 that will last as long as I don't lose it.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  08:30:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Penn & Teller did an episode about bottled water on their HBO show "Bullshit". Here is most of the segment on water. It doesn't matter which con game it is, whether we're talking about the ADE 651, bottled water, politics or religion. It all comes down to marketing in the end. Getting others to believe (selling) what ever it is you want and getting them to part with their money and/or power.
I found it's necessary to pay attention, think critically, assume nothing and verify what you accept as truth or get used. Once anyone accepts and practices the safeguards, the value and need to do this is evident everywhere. SS

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  10:17:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the only plus to bottled water is that many times I would rather have water than soda/pop. Like at the movies or on a golf course. And don't bother mentioning drinking fountains......even if they had one (which most don't any more) I'm not getting up several times during a movie to get a drink from a fountain.

Other than that I drink water from a filter....PUR at work....built into the refrigerator at home.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

xevology

1 Post

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  14:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send xevology a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ADE works on a principal we have termed as Electro-Magnetic Attraction. The principle for long range detection is based on the substance excitation that needs to be detected, with an electromagnetic field that propagates on a long distance and is not disturbed by the "electromagnetic noise" from the environment generated by the RF transmitters and other electronic equipments that use electric current or electromagnetic waves. (from the ADE 651 manufacturer website)

ha! what kind of mumbo-jumbo is this!?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  17:14:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back to SFN, xev!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  19:46:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Xevology!

Are you (as Kil suggest) the same Xev that used to be here some years ago?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  22:19:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock
I've been trying to explain to my wife for years that there is no need to purchase all of the bottled water she does. We have a PUR water filter on our faucet! For some reason she thinks the bottled water tastes better. Bullshit!
Maybe you should show her this Bullshit! The part about bottle water starts around the 01:42 mark.

Edit: Oops. I see Sailing Soul beat me to it. Ah, well. Better to keep both links up in case one of them goes dead.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/18/2010 22:20:34
Go to Top of Page

ernst.filibert

2 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  04:43:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ernst.filibert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is ADE 651 website http://www.ade651.co.uk/ . What do you say about that?
Go to Top of Page

ernst.filibert

2 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  04:45:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ernst.filibert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But wait here is the ADE 651 maufacturer's website http://www.atscltd.com :))))
Edited by - ernst.filibert on 01/21/2011 04:50:08
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  08:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ernst.filibert

Here is ADE 651 website http://www.ade651.co.uk/ . What do you say about that?

I'd say that the UK Government has banned the export of this device because it does not work. The "programmed substance detection card" in the device is nothing more than an anti-fraud tag of the type used in anti-shoplifting devices. It contains nothing that can be programmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8471187.stm

- TW
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.