HOLY CRAP! Did anyone else hear this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  16:07:40  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was listening to Randi Rhodes this afternoon while dodging traffic, and I heard her say that even Bill O'Reilly had lost patience with Sarah Palin. I was so stunned I pulled into a parking lot to listen to the interview clip she played, and she was correct! Bill was stunned that Palin didn't believe that Obama's major concern at the moment is capping and cleaning up the oil spill, the exasperation in his voice was astounding. She was prattling on in her usual way about how Obama was twisting this to his advantage, and even Billo didn't buy it!

Shit, I need a drink, maybe two.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  17:13:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not at all clear that the BP mess presents the President with any kind of political advantage, Palin's wisdom to the contrary. Indeed, some people want to blame Obama for the spill.

What Obama does have is the need to represent the interests of Gulf Coast residents versus BP, and to organize Federal responses. Like the two wars and the near-Depression he inherited, this mess was thrust upon him by the failures of the Bushies.

Even if Mr. Obama plays things perfectly and pulls a political rabbit out of his hat, the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe will have diverted him from his own agenda. Any possible political advantage he can salvage will be to his credit, but will be pure serendipity.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  21:57:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It's not at all clear that the BP mess presents the President with any kind of political advantage, Palin's wisdom to the contrary. Indeed, some people want to blame Obama for the spill.

What Obama does have is the need to represent the interests of Gulf Coast residents versus BP, and to organize Federal responses. Like the two wars and the near-Depression he inherited, this mess was thrust upon him by the failures of the Bushies.

Even if Mr. Obama plays things perfectly and pulls a political rabbit out of his hat, the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe will have diverted him from his own agenda. Any possible political advantage he can salvage will be to his credit, but will be pure serendipity.

I disagree. This is political gold for a president who is interested in pushing for clean, renewable, energy or who wants to end the use of oil as a fuel source.

Obama, apparently, is none of those things though.

Get cameras in the areas that BP has restricted media access, get some images of the miles long and thousands of feet deep oil plumes in the gulf, get James Cameron out there with his ship and subs to document it from the surface to the bottom (he'd probably do it for free, have him find one of the gulf deep water isolated ecologies that has been wiped out by the oil)... then get those images on TV with ads calling for an end to fossil fuel use. Do that for a month, and then hand congress an energy independence bill and demand they pass it the same damn day.

If they manage to stop the spilling by mid August the ecological damage is something we'll never be able to repair. Yet I see Obama squandering this opportunity.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.