Ship Wreck Found!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  07:16:33  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_re_us/us_shipwreck_discovered_wis_5

For some reason stories of shipwrecks fascinate me. The pictures are great.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  10:10:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't believe it until Gordon Lightfoot writes a song about it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  10:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I won't believe it until Gordon Lightfoot writes a song about it.

As an ex-Navy diver who has done a fair amount of salvage work, I don't need a new song to appreciate this.

The Wreak of the Edmund Fitzgerald is a long -time favorite and will do just fine!

I have read that there are a great number of sunken ships and barges in the Great Lakes.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  10:31:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny. I wrote an abridged version of The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald that I used to perform with an acoustic act. Wanna hear it?

" The ship it capsized and the people all died on the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

I got mixed responses to the song. The Fitzgerald is somewhat sacred around these parts. :)

eta: These lyrics are the intellectual property of E-bone. Any use without written consent from yours truly will result in an ass-whoopin'

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Edited by - Ebone4rock on 06/25/2010 10:43:12
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  10:45:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's amazing how strong and quick a storm on the great lakes can be on you. My wife and I were hiking in the picture rocks area on Lake Superior. We saw it and picked up the pace hoping to make the left turn that would take us back to the car before the storm arrive. We were pretty exposed at the top of that cliff. Fortunately for us we got to a point where the trail was eroded about 18 inches down. So as soon as the wind (70-80mph) and sand hit we could squat down and be mostly protected. And then the rain came. Heavy enough that had I been driving a car I would have pulled off the road. When the wind and rain let up some we were able to start our slow slog back to the car where a change of cloths and shoes were waiting. Took my wife a week to get all of the sand out of her hair.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  12:52:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Funny. I wrote an abridged version of The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald that I used to perform with an acoustic act. Wanna hear it?

" The ship it capsized and the people all died on the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
E-bone, that's sorta like my favorite version of "American Pie," which goes like this:

"A long, long time ago... that'll be the day that I die."

Or Garrison Keillor's version of the National Anthem for baseball fans who just want to see the game get started:

"O say can you see, and the home of the brave."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  13:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's sorta like my favorite version of "American Pie," which goes like this:

Even that's too long for me.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  13:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Ebone4rock

E-bone, that's sorta like my favorite version of "American Pie," which goes like this:

Or Garrison Keillor's version of the National Anthem for baseball fans who just want to see the game get started:

"O say can you see, and the home of the brave."

I don't know how much drunken time you guys spend in Karaoke bars but did you ever notice that drunk guys who can't sing have a tendency to pick American Pie or Cat's in the Cradle?

"bla bla bla bla......(really loud) BYE BYE MISS AMERICAN PIE"

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Elmo the Clown

31 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  14:29:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Elmo the Clown's Homepage Send Elmo the Clown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh.. I have one. Simon and Garfunkel.. The Boxer. I got bitched at for playing it when I was d-J-ing the school radio station (it says "whore" you know). The week after I sang this:
I am just a poor boy, Though my stories seldom told it was all Lie la lie, Lie la lie lie lie, lie la lie.... I got bored after that.
Two weeks after, being the end of the school year, I played Hells Bells, Highway to Hell, and after apologizing, finished with Monty Python's "Sit on My Face".... Dang.. I wonder where that album ended up......

Support a clown, buy a luury cruise from www.ChicLuxuryCruises.com (or any cruise...)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  02:47:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love shipwrecks, too. They are often compact archaeological treasures.

Just a bit of silliness, but what if the wreck of Noah's Ark were found? That would confound both theists and atheists, wouldn't it?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  14:37:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Just a bit of silliness, but what if the wreck of Noah's Ark were found? That would confound both theists and atheists, wouldn't it?
In the Great Lakes? You becha!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.