Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  08:03:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

Jeez. Maybe I should join you there. Problem is I have no money to speak of. Sigh...
But if you can get here, Kil, I'll try to show you the ropes, assuming I know them by then.

Kil, are you serious?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  09:36:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Kil.....

Jeez. Maybe I should join you there. Problem is I have no money to speak of. Sigh...
But if you can get here, Kil, I'll try to show you the ropes, assuming I know them by then.

Kil, are you serious?

Only a little bit. I don't have the fixed income that Mooner has, so at this time moving there wouldn't really work for me. Even low rents have to be paid. But it's a thought. Something to consider.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:17:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get to know the neighbors....

Not as horrible as it sounds; these guys won't attack if unprovoked, but they are very fast if they think they are antagonized.

And you will have geckos! How wonderful is that?!

This one is a Tokay Gecko. Invite it into your home and and forget your insect worries. It is the largest of many, Philippine species.

The down side to Tokays is, for some folk but certainly not me, that they are very vocal and you will hear them sing in the night.

Damn, but I wish I could be there!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:31:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Filipinos I've seen and met, (in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, various other tropical islands - but I haven't been to the Philippines,) are really into music and many are fine musicians. That includes the local Filipino pop and folk music but also American blues jazz, rock and classical music. If you're into going out to hear live music, you probably won't have to go far.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Bill scott

Originally posted by HalfMooner

After much deliberation and a great deal of poor planning, I moved permanently from California to the Philippines on June 20, 2010.
My time has been limited of late so it's been awhile since I have been on the SFN. I just learned of your transfer in living quarters. If you don't mind my asking how did you decide on the Philippines as opposed to just moving out of California? I live in a nice Midwestern town of about 300,000 and our standard of living around here is rather comfortable from all my comparisons, especially when compared to California. And then within a 1/2 an hour to 45 minute drive from town the landscape is just littered with 5000-10,000 pop. towns where $250-300/month can get you a nice one bedroom apartment in a town where there has never been a murder ever and shoplifting a pack of gum will get you the headline in the towns local paper. People have been pouring out of the left coast for some time now for costing reasons. I guess my question/statement is that moving to the Philippines seem like an extream measure, how did you come to this conclusion over moving elsewhere in the homeland? The USA is a big country with all different types of demography and standards of living, surly somewhere here must have meet your needs as opposed to moving to the other side of the globe. Just wondering. Anyway good luck with your new home. Oh and it's weird because I just thought of you today when I got a chain email and in the subject it read racist or not? You open up the email and it says, "We are NOT racists. We hate the white half of Obama just as much." I chuckled and thought of you.
You are certainly right, Bill, about affordable alternatives in the USA. I'm not at all sure I'm doing the right thing, and am not advocating that others follow suit.

I suppose there are several factors in my choice of moving to the Philippines. One is that I really like Filipinos. And I instantly loved Baguio in particular when I took R & R there while in the Navy in 1965. Another factor is that I've always had a somewhat adventurous streak, and this may be my last grand adventure.

By the way, I really do love my birth state of California. If one is working, there is no place on earth that has a better creative atmosphere. Despite what you seem to think, people are still flocking there, and for good reasons of jobs, climate, education, and culture. I think it's mostly retirees like myself and people who already made their fortune who leave.

Sweet story about people hating Obama. Truly, some people don't need racism to fuel their burning hatred. But it helps.

I wasn't trying to disrespect your home state but just had heard that everyday life was awfully expensive in the Golden State. I am just hoping you have a plan B so that if the novelty of living on a tropical island starts to wear off and the everyday reality of combating malaria and showering with 220 volts running through your water starts to creep in that you have a plan on getting back home, even if that is not California. You have a plan B, right?

I hear what your saying on hate not needing racism as a motivating factor. Look at Jerry Falwel and yourself, both as white as a new born baby's butt.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  13:31:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner.....

I was bemused and fascinated by your announcement that you were moving to the Phillipines. I greatly admire your sense of adventure, we all could use more of that!

I understand that the primary motivation was economic. In terms of purchasing power, about how much leverage do your US dollars give you against the dollar's value in northern California today? It must be spectacular.

Understanding your low-key but thorough analysis of most matters that is evident in your postings, I would guess that you did extensive research on various possible relocation sites before settling on the land of 7000 islands. Aside from the obvious financial leverage factor, what would you list as the next four or five important attractions that Pilipinas offered you as inducement to relocate half way around the world?

I have heard that some areas of Central America (Costa Rica and Belize, specifically), offer attractive regions for expat relocation, (or at least a second home)--but the Phillipines does seem, uumm, unusual. However, after an appreciative glance at your possible paramour and your statement that 1k/month will buy high luxury in housing, I do understand some of your thinking.

If my current contrarian investment strategy holds up, I may be able to consider some southward movement in a couple of years. CDA is a summer heaven on earth, but the winters are dreary! Your brave, ballsy endeavor is really interesting and really admirable! Any details of your experience that you care to share will certainly be appreciated here!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  20:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not all that far North of Mt. Pinatubo - might make for an interesting overnight trip if volcanoes are an interest. If you're into WWII history, lots of relics, US and Japanese abandoned airplanes (aluminum doesn't rust) old (rusted) tanks, sunken ships, etc., and many battles fought in the Philippines.

The people are wonderful though like anywhere else there are also thugs and criminal gangs and bandit areas in city and countryside you might want to avoid. The usual precautions in any city. Lonely Planet publishes a pretty good guidebook to the Philippines that covers a lot of stuff. Your local friends will help you out too I'm sure.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  13:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes on your new adventure Halfmooner. It's been said. "attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure". I have found ones approach is a magnifier to the outcome. May your attitude and approach can carry you Happily on your great adventure. Life does not allow reruns. I too have been aware of the opportunities of expat' retirement in other countries and understand your selection. I know your prior experiences and familiarity with that country played a part in your country selection. Something others who have not been there, are unable to factor in. Not all are able to venture out of their hometowns, let along their home country. That ability is only restricted by limits we place upon ourselves and exist only in our minds. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  13:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your hot water shower is no surprise to me. On a global standard it's top notch, while horrific looking to Americans. At least the ones who understand that your shower head, is also a 220 volt hot water heater and that wire is sliced and taped outside its enclosure, inches from your soapy head and flowing water. That can be exciting, as in buzzz, crackle, poop, lights out. I would bring that up to American safety standards in short order. It could be done quite easily and at reasonable costs. It should at least be GFCI protected. I could give you suggestions on how to easily correct that if you need. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 07/06/2010 13:49:09
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  04:46:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

. . .
Is there good surfing in the Philippines?
Yes, so I hear.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  04:57:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

The Filipinos I've seen and met, (in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, various other tropical islands - but I haven't been to the Philippines,) are really into music and many are fine musicians. That includes the local Filipino pop and folk music but also American blues jazz, rock and classical music. If you're into going out to hear live music, you probably won't have to go far.
And the tribesmen of the various Igorot peoples (including most local taxi drivers) love the very best American Country Western music. They even have very well done "indigenous" Country Western in their own tribal languages. They call it "Igorot Country." These are folks who within living memory were headhunters, and still keep prized heads of enemies in their homes.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  05:07:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

I wasn't trying to disrespect your home state but just had heard that everyday life was awfully expensive in the Golden State.
You are dead-on correct about that, Bill!
I am just hoping you have a plan B so that if the novelty of living on a tropical island starts to wear off and the everyday reality of combating malaria and showering with 220 volts running through your water starts to creep in that you have a plan on getting back home, even if that is not California. You have a plan B, right?
Plan B? What's a plan B?
I hear what your saying on hate not needing racism as a motivating factor. Look at Jerry Falwel and yourself, both as white as a new born baby's butt.
I doubt Jerry's skin looks quite baby's-butt smooth and white right now, but I admit I've not checked.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  05:19:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner,
Please tell us of the past weeks adventures!

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  05:35:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Get to know the neighbors....

Not as horrible as it sounds; these guys won't attack if unprovoked, but they are very fast if they think they are antagonized.

And you will have geckos! How wonderful is that?!

This one is a Tokay Gecko. Invite it into your home and and forget your insect worries. It is the largest of many, Philippine species.

The down side to Tokays is, for some folk but certainly not me, that they are very vocal and you will hear them sing in the night.

Damn, but I wish I could be there!

I've not yet seen a gecko here in Baguio, but it may be that they are absent or rare due to the relatively temperate climate of the high Cordilleras. I saw a beautiful, skinny, metallic green (or was it blue?) lizard in my courtyard the other day. By the time I got my camera, though, it was gone. For some reason, I was thinking "skink" when I saw it. Do some skinks have legs?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  05:39:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Best wishes on your new adventure Halfmooner. It's been said. "attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure". I have found ones approach is a magnifier to the outcome. May your attitude and approach can carry you Happily on your great adventure. Life does not allow reruns. I too have been aware of the opportunities of expat' retirement in other countries and understand your selection. I know your prior experiences and familiarity with that country played a part in your country selection. Something others who have not been there, are unable to factor in. Not all are able to venture out of their hometowns, let along their home country. That ability is only restricted by limits we place upon ourselves and exist only in our minds. SS
Thank you very much for your real wisdom, SS!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.