The new face of parenthood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  14:11:11  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your sons are cut from a hockey team because they're not good enough, then they've suffered "psychological damages and had their self esteem ruined", which, as we all know, demands a lawsuit and monetary compensation. Can't we have a law which allows a judge to take the parents into his chambers and just slap them around for about half an hour? Read it here

I agree with one local commentator who said that this probably isn't about the kids at all, it's about parent's who live through their kids and want them to get a big fat NHL contract. The boys themselves have probably accepted it.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  16:15:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May I suggest that the parents enrol their kids in a non-competetive sport instead?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  16:37:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

May I suggest that the parents enrol their kids in a non-competetive sport instead?

I doubt that they would understand such things. Probably yuppies who have been conditioned to go for blood in the boardroom and everywhere else. Anything non-competitive would be seen as a weakness.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  16:42:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not just set it up like Little League is here? Not all the kids make the majors. But there are lots of minor league teams. If a kid becomes advanced enough, he or she can advance to the majors. Just like in professional baseball, where there is A to triple A to the Majors.

In any case, yeah, the parents are idiots.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  17:10:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil, the lawsuits would be over which kids make the major league teams.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  18:22:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Perhaps. I suppose that some parents are that crazy.

But my point is that in little league no one gets cut. And if they can prove that they are up to playing at a higher level, they can move up. They don't have to sit out the season.

Having been a little league coach, I know how competitive the parents can be. Some of them are really nuts. But I have never heard of this kind of law suit against little league baseball. But you're right. Maybe these parents are special...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  20:22:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Dave W.

Perhaps. I suppose that some parents are that crazy.

But my point is that in little league no one gets cut. And if they can prove that they are up to playing at a higher level, they can move up. They don't have to sit out the season.

Having been a little league coach, I know how competitive the parents can be. Some of them are really nuts. But I have never heard of this kind of law suit against little league baseball. But you're right. Maybe these parents are special...

Special, like God's Special Children.

I seem to be driving alongside some of these guys. They can't seem to drive a car. Maybe if they laid down the coffee and cell phone while attempting it, they might have more luck.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  20:41:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Maybe these parents are special...
Well, the article says that nobody has ever sued over being cut before, so yeah, these parents definitely think they're special.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  05:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think self esteem comes from accomplishing something not just being given things. The sad part is that the kid would learn a lot about life and character if the parents were to use the situation for a life lesson. Our culture has an unhealthy relationship with sports anyway.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  06:31:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the defense should make a case out of the parents doing more harm to their kid's psyches than any hockey team could ever do.

Why do parents want their kids to turn into little pussies? Is being a pussy somehow psychologically preferable to being mature? Would a good ass kicking toughen up these parents?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  07:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May be that the final solution will be to just disband the "Greater Toronto Hockey League" altogether. Why put up with the nonsense of a Vito or a David. Or will they just have to increase league fees to deal with the expensive nonsense of a Vito or a David.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.