New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  17:05:41  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All:

I have posted a series of "chapters" at the JREF forum regarding my past month doing research for a proposed StopJVP site. If interested, go there and search for topics with "JVPLand" in the title, then read them in chapter order.

It makes for a long read, but, I hope, an interesting one.

Best,

RSL

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  17:52:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Robert!

Okay, here is what I did. Just to make the ease of reading better I have created links to the chapters in order. They are spread out over two pages and not in order over on the JREF board, so this should make it easier for our members.

Oh, and just so everyone who is interested in this knows, RSLancastr is refereeing to James Van Praagh, the self professed "medium" when he refers to JVP.

Here they are in order:

StopJVP - RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 0: Prologue

StopJVP - RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 1: Down the Rabbit Hole

StopJVP - RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 2: Q&A

StopJVP: RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 3: Meditations

StopJVP: RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 4: "JVP's New Best Buddy"

StopJVP - RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 5: The Two Jameses

StopJVP - RSL In JVPLand - Chapter 6: Grant's Pass?

StopJVP - RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 7a: The "Pink Panther" Reading

StopJVP - RSL In JVPLand - Chapter 7b: Pink Panther Answer?

StopJVP - RSL in JVPLand - Chapter 8: Epilogue

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  20:19:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil, thanks for that!

So, what did you think?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  21:00:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I just finished reading it. What a great read! I can't say I'm at all that surprised by how it turned out with JVP. I love that he tried to sidetrack you into some other projects. That was incredibly naive of him, or stupid of him. I don't know which. His attempt (attempts?) at craftiness were about as good as one of his readings!

Great work! I can think of very few people who could have done what you did without losing it or becoming confrontational too early on. That's a talent you've got Robert. Perhaps you gave some of the people who frequent JVP's site something to think about and turned a few of them around, as you did with some of Browne's fans. Aside from putting these charlatans out of business, I suppose that that's the best you can expect.

What I would like to see is that whole thing as one single article outside of a forum format, so it could be linked to easily.

By the way, I met Van Praagh at a Mind Body Spirit expo. Very smiley sort. If you didn't know what he does for a living and the damage it can do, aside from the obvious, which is the carney act itself, he would be easy to like. They say that sociopaths are like that. Great personalities. (Sylvia Browne doesn't really fit that mould though. She's just too witchy.)

Thanks for sharing! See you at TAM!!!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  21:26:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kil! I will look into putting it into a non-forum format. In fact, I am considering making each of the chapters an
article on the upcoming StopJVP site.
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  11:40:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All:

I continue to get emails and messages from some of the people I met at Van Praagh's web site.

I asked one of them how things were going back there, and he/she said he/she doesn't go there much any more, because the place is pretty dull without me! :D

I got an email yesterday from another. One question Idon't think I ever answered while I was there was "why did you pick JVP to stop?"

In the email I receved yesterday, the correspondent said that he/she had been looking closely at some videos of Van Praagh giving readings.

He/she had been a big fan of JVP, but ended the email with this:

I'm now starting to see why you chose JVP. I've been investigating him right along with you now. I dont like what I see.

And I haven't even created my site yet! :)[/QUOTE]

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  11:49:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by RSLancastr

All:

I continue to get emails and messages from some of the people I met at Van Praagh's web site.

I asked one of them how things were going back there, and he/she said he/she doesn't go there much any more, because the place is pretty dull without me! :D

I got an email yesterday from another. One question Idon't think I ever answered while I was there was "why did you pick JVP to stop?"

In the email I receved yesterday, the correspondent said that he/she had been looking closely at some videos of Van Praagh giving readings.

He/she had been a big fan of JVP, but ended the email with this:

I'm now starting to see why you chose JVP. I've been investigating him right along with you now. I dont like what I see.

And I haven't even created my site yet! :)

And that's the thing!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  11:58:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing what a little gentle skepticism can do, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  19:49:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your work, and a hello from Corvallis.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  09:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Thanks for your work, and a hello from Corvallis.

Yes absolutely. It's very good to expose a fraud to a believer, ending their exploitation. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  10:03:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, RSL.

I recommend you find somewhere else to host your material (or at least back it all up). You are risking losing it all to a trigger-happy and unregulated "moderation" team.

Since I am banned from the JREF forums, and an atheist (Leper! Outcast! Unclean!), I won't be reading any of that from there.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  14:35:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you here, Robert!

Dglas, he re-posted at Skepticalcommunity.com so they'll be safe there.

If you think it's work, you're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  18:48:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Badger

Good to see you here, Robert!

Dglas, he re-posted at Skepticalcommunity.com so they'll be safe there.

I wonder if he'll repost it here...

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  19:20:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the hell did you have to do to get banned from JREF? I have seem some knockdown brawls in those forums.... not that I have been there often, I can't keep pace with a forum that gets 5 replies to a thread before you can finish typing in a post of about this length....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  14:22:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

What the hell did you have to do to get banned from JREF? I have seem some knockdown brawls in those forums.... not that I have been there often, I can't keep pace with a forum that gets 5 replies to a thread before you can finish typing in a post of about this length....

See this thread.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  00:15:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha! You are going to turn a thread about RSL's work into a discussion of my being banned?

Don't get me wrong; I would only be too delighted to go over it (feel free to ask), but that really belongs in another thread, don'tcha think? Who knows - might give you a better appreciation for the moderation here.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.