Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 W't if they held a convention and nobody came?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  04:24:10  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I declare, I'm beginning to think that the teabaggers are more of a comedy act than a serious political movement. They've now got the brain-damaged Ted Nugent, usually good for a laugh, as a fervent supporter and they've scheduled a convention, then called it off for a lack of interest. The corporate media is treating it in their usual, mendacious fashion -- ignoring it.
Tea Party moves their convention
Posted by Raven on Jun 26, 2010 • (11)

A small piece hit CNN’s blog today stating that the National Tea Party Unity convention was moving from its set date of July 15-17 to October 2010. The reasons given by the organizing committee include:

#9632;“it would more advantageous to hold the convention in the middle of October just prior to the November elections.”
#9632;“The heat in Las Vegas in July is keeping many who would like to participate from attending.”
#9632;“We have also received numerous emails from people who were forced to decide between family vacations and attending the convention.”
CNN’s piece basically served as publication of their statement without applying any critical analysis to it. There are some basic questions you should be asking here that don’t even require you to be a veteran event organizer.

To make the point bluntly their stated reasons for moving the convention are bullshit, and CNN buried the real reason this is happening in the story which was “moving back the date allows other Tea Party groups to attend the convention.” In other words they’re two weeks from their event and they’ve got no attendees and no interest in it.

This should be a juicy media story about the staying power of the Tea Party movement. Are they going to keep it going or does the excitement fizzle out at some point? That’s pretty much the first question I’d be asking if I were a reporter covering the Tea Party and this crossed my desk.

But just to drive my point home let me talk a little bit about what would be involved moving an event like this. It’d be a Herculean task that you wouldn’t try simply because you wanted to influence the elections or deal with some attendees complaining about the Vegas heat (when they’d likely rarely leave the hotel anyway). The only reason you’d take this sort of extraordinary action two weeks out is if your event was in imminent danger of completely failing due to lack of attendance and media attention.

Just some of the many things that’d be involved if you chose to do this would be:

#9632;Re-booking all of your speakers.....
And so forth.

Is this a sign of the coming demise of conservative lunacy? I doubt it. If the teabaggers go under as an organization (do they even have an organization?), they will pop back up as the same thing in a different cloak. And with perhaps a less embarrassing moniker. It could be fun to watch.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/06/2010 06:55:00

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  05:37:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've now got the brain-damaged Ted Nugent, usually good for a laugh,

What? Sweaty Uncle Teddy?! The Motor City Madman?!
To speak of him in such a way is sacreligious!

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  07:18:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Here's the latest on Ted the Motor City Twit; he thinks Africa is a country.

Jog my failing memory, but didn't some airhead beauty queen or other say the same thing. Or was it Sarah Palin?

I dunno, hell, it might have been GWB....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  07:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

If Ted Nugent brings his guitar, all if forgiven. He's a bad ass on guitar...

I'm about to go to TAM. It's July in Vegas. This will be the biggest TAM ever. Citing the heat is mind mind bogglingly dumb.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  11:43:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We Michiganders are great at producing celebrities whom we are both proud and ashamed of...Nuge, Madonna, Michael Moore, Kevorkian, Eminem , Kid Rock and Jimmy Hoffa to name a few.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  11:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BREAKING NEWS!!! Air Conditioning invented! Tea Party Convention is back on schedule!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  14:25:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have they blamed Obama for the heat and complained how he's not doing anything about it? They will. Ooooh, that devils child. How will the universe survive another minute with him in office? SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.