Alvin Greene
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  05:10:47  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do approve of Mr. Greene's laid back campaigning style and his campaign flyer was printed on a very fine shade of green, I am just puzzled as to how it worked in today's climate of political outrage.

I suspect that people got him confused with the legendary R&B, Soul and Gospel singer Rev. Al Green. Probably the type of entertaining leadership the people could only hope for. The potential of an Al Green candidacy was too much for too many to pass on.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  07:24:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

I do approve of Mr. Greene's laid back campaigning style and his campaign flyer was printed on a very fine shade of green, I am just puzzled as to how it worked in today's climate of political outrage.

I suspect that people got him confused with the legendary R&B, Soul and Gospel singer Rev. Al Green. Probably the type of entertaining leadership the people could only hope for. The potential of an Al Green candidacy was too much for too many to pass on.

The story is just weird. I'm inclined to think that his victory is just a crazy anomaly. But who knows?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  10:37:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
I'm inclined to think that his victory is just a crazy anomaly. But who knows?
Without a doubt he's a Republican plant. How else would an unemployed vet currently facing a felony charge come up with a $10,400 filing fee? This whole operation totally fits the Republican M.O.
South Carolina has a history of political plants being placed in elections to skew turnout. In 1992, Republican operative Rod Shealy was convicted of hiring an African-American fisherman to run for congressional office in hopes of stimulating white turnout to help his sister get elected lieutenant governor.

And according to Yahoo News:
It's not uncommon in South Carolina for Republicans to recruit African-American challengers to run against white frontrunners in Democratic primaries in the hope of drumming up racial tensions. (Greene is black.) The straw candidates aren't supposed to win — they're just supposed to create a racially divisive primary to damage the candidate's ability to put together a coalition in the general election.

It's nothing new to Nu Wexler, the former executive director of the South Carolina Democratic Party. "In 2004, on the last day you could file to run in the primary, we were wrapping things up when an SUV with a Bush-Cheney sticker dropped off three black guys who came in to file to run in some local races, and they all paid the filing fee with sequentially numbered cashier's checks from a local credit union," he said.

Now, I highly doubt Greene's handlers expected him to win. They spent nothing on an actual campaign. He printed no fliers, bought no radio or television ads, and didn't even have a webpage. He claims to have campaigned "door to door," yet remains vague on which specific neighborhoods he actually canvassed.

So why would Greene continue this charade? Likely because he's already in too deep:
The South Carolina Democratic Party...could attempt to challenge Greene's win by claiming that he didn't pay the filing fee out of his own pocket — which, if true, would be a federal crime.

I'm betting it's only a matter of time before Greene figures out how much shit he's in and spills the beans for personal immunity.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 06/14/2010 11:32:08
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  11:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wondered if it wasn't a glitch with SC's electronic voting machines. The type they use was widely criticized in the media in 2004.

Makes me think people were pressing the button for one person and having their votes cast for a different person.

I can't think of another explanation for how a guy with no money, no job, no website, no tv ads, and no campaign at all could possibly win an election.

A simple scientific poll of democrat primary voters in SC would answer the question. Question- Did you vote for Alvin Green in the primary? yes/no

I'm suprised that no one has done that yet.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  12:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert:
Without a doubt he's a Republican plant.

Without a doubt? I'll grant you that the money came from somewhere and it's may even be likely that it was Republican money. But I'm not sure what was in it for the Republicans? I mean, this guy didn't even campaign. Did they expect him to win? If they did, they would be alone in that, since he did nothing to win.

Also, the Republican seat is pretty safe there, no matter which Democrat won.

I don't get it...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  18:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, Alvin Greene did have a flyer, but he can't be sure how many were printed or distributed. And he is very careful about the only copy he has left(?).

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

ooh_child

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  14:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ooh_child a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alvin Greene's great idea to create jobs for SC? Make & sell action figures - of himself.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hNyH1XTKf1Adc_-fGBAefXf8YYEQD9GQEQAO0

Ha!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  22:57:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guy is a loon.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.