Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  21:18:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

dglas said:
Now, the real question is, what sort of influence did this have on the people who were exposed to it - and on what scale?

That is an interesting question. I'd go out on an anecdotal limb and say that the influence was significant, for me it was probably the first time I ever thought about ethics beyond the whole right/wrong punishment/reward level.

I'll be honest - it is almost certainly what sparked my interest in analytic ethics and initiated, to a significant degree, my road to skepticism.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  01:42:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

Originally posted by dglas

Apparently Dawkins is okay with science fiction, but is not okay with fantasy fiction. As a life-long role-playing gamer, allow me to say the following here for your thoughts and amusement....

Linky?

It's second source, but I do not doubt it's fairly correct:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13330&whichpage=2#182136

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  02:31:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Was that the link you meant to put there?

Anyway, it does confirm other things I've read from Dawkins where he wants to investigate whether fairytales and similar stories have a beneficial or harmful effect on children. Personally, I think he's an idiot on this point. But than I love fairytales and remember with a lot of fondness the "Lecturana sprookjes" that we had in my youth. With fairytales in a book and spoken on a cassette, so you could read along while the storyteller told the story (and a "ping" whenever you had to turn the page... Ah, memories).

And I must say I have the same thing with people who wonder whether they should participate in Santa Claus and tell their kids Santa Claus is real. Although here my opinion is also biased because we have "Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet" in the Netherlands, which is actually fun (instead of the sterile Coca Cola version that you have).

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 07/13/2010 02:32:12
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  05:34:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, the real question is, what sort of influence did this have on the people who were exposed to it - and on what scale?

I don't see any reason why people who are into fantasy role-playing would be any more likely than those who don't to fall into religion.

As far as your arguments about teaching ethics and that stuff.....real life does the same thing. I remember when I was a kid telling my mom " the Nintendo is great for training my eye-hand coordination". Your arguments sound the same to me....justifying a large amount of time playing games. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The main detrimental thing I can see happening with too much fantasy role-playing is that it would keep a guy from getting laid by an actual real live woman.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  06:36:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I don't see any reason why people who are into fantasy role-playing would be any more likely than those who don't to fall into religion.

As far as your arguments about teaching ethics and that stuff.....real life does the same thing. I remember when I was a kid telling my mom " the Nintendo is great for training my eye-hand coordination". Your arguments sound the same to me....justifying a large amount of time playing games. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Busted!

Originally posted by Ebone4rock

[quote]
The main detrimental thing I can see happening with too much fantasy role-playing is that it would keep a guy from getting laid by an actual real live woman.

Now that you mention it .... Hey!

- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  11:12:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Game Night.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  15:49:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting, dglas. I played D&D v2 decades ago and gave v4 a try recently in a one-shot campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  01:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Was that the link you meant to put there?
Yes...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.