Religion
 Why the f*** be nice to these people?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  17:44:03  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No matter how mild and tolerant the language we use, the religous people still portray it as an attack on them.

Example one: the CAA billboard

(see their Monday, June 28 2010 14:23 post) and how the theists like the the ICR and of course everbody's favourite christian couger react. And they're not the only ones.

Don't those people realize that "god" was not put in there until 1954? If anything, the atheists are more patriotic then the religous nuts, because the religious people didn't think that their pledge was good enough until their god was added into it.

There's nothing in there attacking their god, yet they still take offense.

Example two: The Copenhagen Declaration on Religion in Public Life:

We recognize the unlimited right to freedom of conscience, religion and belief, and that freedom to practice one's religion should be limited only by the need to respect the rights of others.

Can't take any offense from that, can we? Well, Ken Ham can:

We recognize the unlimited right (even though we have no objective basis for "rights" in our system) to freedom of conscience, religion, and belief—except for Christians—and that freedom to practice one's religion should be limited only by the need to respect the rights of others (this is the golden rule: "do unto others . . . " for which we have no logical basis in our way of thinking)—except for Christians, as we reject Christianity totally and must try to eliminate it.

As Myers noted:

The whole article is like that! He just takes each paragraph of the declaration, sticks in a couple of "except for Christians", and pretends it is a plan to oppress everyone who believes in Jesus. Here's another example:

What would an atheist have to say that would be mild enough for theists to neither take offense or put their own lying spin on it to produce offense?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  20:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored
What would an atheist have to say that would be mild enough for theists to neither take offense or put their own lying spin on it to produce offense?

God is great!

Without sarcasm, obviously.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  22:21:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

God is great!

Yeah! That's what the 911 and other murdering terrorist, the sign vandals and you agree on. Oh! I get it. Your all on the run. Fighting your battles in the shadows of ignorance and at night. If there was a God with any morals, He'd puke at what His believers do in his name, just like Atheists. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  22:38:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's that opiate for the masses thingy.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.