New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  07:51:00  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can see his latest work here.

See how long it takes for you guys to see his catchphrase. For those who don't know it, just read his other posts dealing with atheists and "charities".

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 06/30/2010 07:56:15

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  09:08:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like he missed this part of the Stewart quote
"Inserting 'under God' on our billboard is like inserting it into the original Pledge in 1954: it divides us as a nation. Our sign doesn't say 'One nation under no God'; it is inclusive. It says 'One Nation Indivisible.'
Of course including this may have painted atheist in a positive light. Can't have that now can he.

Hell, I live in Charlotte and I didn't know that the Charlotte Atheists and Agnostics group existed.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  09:27:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ig,
That website is AWESOME! I'm going to have a field day with that one. Thanks for the link.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  11:35:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I've been spending a little time reading articles on this website. I see very little of any substance....I do see lots and lots of words strung together that don't mean a damn thing though. It's times like these I am glad I am not educated in journalism...it keeps me on the fucking point!
Check out this article. http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/argument-atheism-immaturity

You see, Jacob could tell his brothers who sold him into slavery, “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive” (Genesis 50:20).
In affirming that “in this world you will have trouble…” the ultimate—ultimate I say—atheist answer is “…and then you die.” The ultimate answer of Jesus is “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

Atheism makes evil and suffering even worse by 1) not ultimately doing anything about it, 2) guaranteeing that it has no ultimate purpose or meaning, 3) not being able to redeem it, 4) making it for the benefit of the evildoer who enjoys themselves and ultimately gets away with it and thus, 5) ensuring that there is not ultimate accountability or justice.

The fact of evil and suffering in the world is one of the very best reasons for rejecting atheism.

The only thing I am getting out of this is " It's better to fool yourself to make yourself feel better than it is to accept that there is no afterlife"

Thoughts?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Edited by - Ebone4rock on 06/30/2010 11:42:30
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  11:57:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock
The only thing I am getting out of this is " It's better to fool yourself to make yourself feel better than it is to accept that there is no afterlife"

Thoughts?
Yeah, it's a terrifically bad argument, since reality really doesn't care whether you are comfortable with it or distressed by it. And of course, following the author's line of reasoning, any religion that rewards suffering more than Christianity would be even better still. Why doesn't he convert immediately to Pastafarianism for the free strippers and beer volcano? Do you think the possibility that the promised rewards are unlikely to be real has anything to do with it?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  13:21:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Wow, I've been spending a little time reading articles on this website. I see very little of any substance....I do see lots and lots of words strung together that don't mean a damn thing though. It's times like these I am glad I am not educated in journalism...it keeps me on the fucking point!
Check out this article. http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/argument-atheism-immaturity

You see, Jacob could tell his brothers who sold him into slavery, “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive” (Genesis 50:20).
In affirming that “in this world you will have trouble…” the ultimate—ultimate I say—atheist answer is “…and then you die.” The ultimate answer of Jesus is “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

Atheism makes evil and suffering even worse by 1) not ultimately doing anything about it, 2) guaranteeing that it has no ultimate purpose or meaning, 3) not being able to redeem it, 4) making it for the benefit of the evildoer who enjoys themselves and ultimately gets away with it and thus, 5) ensuring that there is not ultimate accountability or justice.

The fact of evil and suffering in the world is one of the very best reasons for rejecting atheism.

Thoughts?
"...Told by an idiot, filled with sound and fury, and signifying nothing." ~~ Billy S.

Another mook who thinks he knows atheism inside & out, yet knows squat beyond his own conceptions and misconceptions. He relies heavily upon ancedote, which might or might not be of his own devising. And a fair amount of hand-waving as well.

Why are these people so afraid of us? We are few in number and therefore have small, political voice. But when we put up a sign or billboard, they freak out when all they have to do is ignore it as I ignore Jesus ads. Could it really signify a fear that their own faith is threatened? Kind'a stupid, really, but the Muslims do the same thing, except more violently.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  02:17:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote this in response:

Atheism makes evil and suffering even worse by 1) not ultimately doing anything about it,
The same is true about Christianity. By itself, it doesn't. Just like any philosophy, it's up to the practitioner of the philosophy do do something. For atheists, the Golden Rule is important, and while Christians can sit on their hands and wait for Kingdom Come, Atheists have to actively try to make the world a better place before he dies.

2) guaranteeing that it has no ultimate purpose or meaning,
It hasn't. But who decided that life really has to have an ultimate true-for-everyone purpose or meaning? If you are insecure in yourself, then I understand that it would feel comfortable to have someone tell you what to think. As an Agnostic, I have the option and the freedom to decide for myself what meaning I will assign to my life.

3) not being able to redeem it
See point 1.

4) making it for the benefit of the evildoer who enjoys themselves and ultimately gets away with it and thus, 5) ensuring that there is not ultimate accountability or justice.
There must be a language barrier keeping me from understanding what you are trying to say. Atheism by itself doesn't do evil things. People do. And other people do hold each other accountable for evil things that is done to one another. That's why we have a legal system. Granted it's not perfect, but what human endeavor has ever been?

More than 90% of all people on earth are religious, which means that more than 90% of all evil-doers are religious. That is good reason for rejecting theism.

Critiques, please...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  05:17:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... Atheists have to actively try to make the world a better place before he dies.
Absolutely, with no illusions of an after life we definitely have to make the best of the one we are sure of.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  07:20:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another awesome article. http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/murder-atheists-part-1.

I like this in particular.
Only God can create life (Gen. 1:21; John 1:3), and only God can resurrect the dead. And since God is morally perfect, He would not deceive anyone allowing a miracle to occur by an evil spirit that leads people astray from the truth.

Wow, since God is morally perfect then I guess it is OK to kill people who disagree with you. I understand so clearly now.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  07:57:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, it seems that there may be a reason why Mariano is like this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  06:11:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I wrote this in response:

Atheism makes evil and suffering even worse by 1) not ultimately doing anything about it,
The same is true about Christianity. By itself, it doesn't. Just like any philosophy, it's up to the practitioner of the philosophy do do something. For atheists, the Golden Rule is important, and while Christians can sit on their hands and wait for Kingdom Come, Atheists have to actively try to make the world a better place before he dies.

2) guaranteeing that it has no ultimate purpose or meaning,
It hasn't. But who decided that life really has to have an ultimate true-for-everyone purpose or meaning? If you are insecure in yourself, then I understand that it would feel comfortable to have someone tell you what to think. As an Agnostic, I have the option and the freedom to decide for myself what meaning I will assign to my life.

3) not being able to redeem it
See point 1.

4) making it for the benefit of the evildoer who enjoys themselves and ultimately gets away with it and thus, 5) ensuring that there is not ultimate accountability or justice.
There must be a language barrier keeping me from understanding what you are trying to say. Atheism by itself doesn't do evil things. People do. And other people do hold each other accountable for evil things that is done to one another. That's why we have a legal system. Granted it's not perfect, but what human endeavor has ever been?

More than 90% of all people on earth are religious, which means that more than 90% of all evil-doers are religious. That is good reason for rejecting theism.

Critiques, please...

Nice reply. Very much works for me Dr Mabuse.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  12:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No it doesn't. The proportion of atheists who are evil-doers could be higher than the proportion of religious people who are evil-doers. And it's not a good reason :)

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 07/02/2010 13:00:14
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:10:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli
No it doesn't. The proportion of atheists who are evil-doers could be higher than the proportion of religious people who are evil-doers.
Actually, if we go by prison statistics, atheist criminals are far underrepresented in proportion to their percentage in the greater population.
Note that atheists, being a moderate proportion of the USA population (about 8-16%) are disproportionately less in the prison populations (0.21%).

Of course, it could be that atheists are simply smarter criminals and so don't get caught as often. Or, more likely, religion is more prevalent in the less educated classes who turn to crime for a variety of socioeconomic reasons.

And it's not a good reason :)
Well, it depends on the point being made. I think it's a good illustration that religious belief is a totally useless metric for gauging morality.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/02/2010 13:33:42
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  14:22:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Actually, if we go by prison statistics, atheist criminals are far underrepresented in proportion to their percentage in the greater population.
Adherents.com argues otherwise.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  15:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by H. Humbert

Adherents.com argues otherwise.

A website that cites "World Net Daily" instantly raises a red flag with me. Call it "Poisoning the well"-fallacy, but if they can't do better than that...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  23:23:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A website that cites "World Net Daily" instantly raises a red flag with me. Call it "Poisoning the well"-fallacy, but if they can't do better than that...
I think that's a new addition. At least, I don't remember it from the last time I read that page on atheism and incarceration rates. And it's a tremendously stupid and irrelevant aside that doesn't seem to be supported by the "more" link. I used to think Adherents.com was an excellent resource. Now, it's not quite so excellent.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.