Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  07:41:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

You have your home, your churches, and even your organizations to turn to if you think that science does not adequately describe the natural world,

I never said that science does not adequately describe the natural world. I have said that an atheistic world view is a belief system. Acknowledging that one does not know what the origin of man/life is is just another example that anything but forwarded attempting to explain the origin of man/life is a belief or a hypothesis. So you have your belief(s) on the origin of man while I have mine. If you choose to place your beliefs under the science banner because they are your beliefs they are still just your beliefs and not science.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  07:42:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Our side no more wants tax money to be used to fund a museum display which is promoting an atheistic world view on the origin of man then the anti-theist wants tax money used to promote a theist world view on said origins. I mean the anti-theists people have a coronary if a manger scene is displayed at a courthouse over Christmas but yet they don't see a problem using tax money to fund a museum scene depicting an atheistic world view on the origin man????
And thusly "does not mention God" is equated with atheism. And so gazillions of things in your life, Bill, are necessarily "atheist," simply for refusing to address the God question. Do you buy Christian bread, Christian gasoline, Christian lightbulbs and Christian toilet paper? Do you walk on Christian roads (with Christian shoes), take Christian buses and taxis, and fly on Christian airlines? If you say "no" to any of these (and there are millions more), then by your logic you're embracing an atheistic world view by using products and/or services which fail to mention God and are thus atheistic.
If the atheist people want to have a display in the public realm promoting their beliefs then let them fund it privately just as the Ken Ham people have done.
A lot of people think that being kind to one another is a good thing, but so did Jesus. Shall we call everyone who thinks kindness is a virtue a Christian? Of course not. Likewise, just because some atheists embrace science doesn't make a scientific display into something "promoting" atheist beliefs.

Especially when the exhibit doesn't say, "therefore, God doesn't exist."
Again, when you consider how ballistic the atheists get just when a town puts up a Merry Christmas sign I am a little surprised you are having trouble wrapping your mind around this one.
"Bald" is not a hair color, Bill. Atheism isn't a religion. Scientific findings are not atheistic gospels.

It's only you wacky fundamentalists who think that they are. But you can't wrap your head around the fact that you have a problem with scientific knowledge, and not the other way around.

You also wrote:
In other words the museum should say while some subscribe to the atheistic explanation for the origin of life many others subscribe to theistic origin of life...
Why should a museum exhibit on the origin of humans address the origins of life at all, Bill? Oh, that's right: because in your terrified-the-Bible-might-be-wrong theology, the two things happened at more-or-less the same time, for the same reason. You're trying to elevate a minority view (most people believe in some sort of "theistic evolution," and not your Young-Earth Creationism) to be on equal footing with the scientific knowledge, just on your say-so. I don't see why anyone should take that seriously.
...and spend an equal amount of money promoting both belief systems.
The museum isn't promoting atheism, so your premise is false and your conclusion ridiculous.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  07:44:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can have the government use the money to support and fund both sides of the coin.

Disclaimer: "Poof" is an alternative to the theories presented here. Please substitute poof for anything you like.

That little disclaimer also accounts for the fact that your coin has a heck of a lot more than two sides.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  07:46:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

You have your home, your churches, and even your organizations to turn to if you think that science does not adequately describe the natural world,

I never said that science does not adequately describe the natural world. I have said that an atheistic world view is a belief system. Acknowledging that one does not know what the origin of man/life is is just another example that anything but forwarded attempting to explain the origin of man/life is a belief or a hypothesis. So you have your belief(s) on the origin of man while I have mine. If you choose to place your beliefs under the science banner because they are your beliefs they are still just your beliefs and not science.

Again. Science says nothing about religion. Whatever view you are I have is not relevant to your claim that a scientific display promotes atheism.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  07:50:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have said that an atheistic world view is a belief system.
Atheism isn't a "world view." It entails nothing.
So you have your belief(s) on the origin of man while I have mine.
We don't have faith, Bill. You do.
If you choose to place your beliefs under the science banner because they are your beliefs they are still just your beliefs and not science.
Except that science itself is a "belief," and so by saying that beliefs aren't science, you've undermined your ability to say that anything is science. You may as well drop that word from your vocabulary, since you've rendered it utterly meaningless. Even if there were scientific evidence of God's existence, it'd still be "just your beliefs" because your definitions necessarily make science nothing more than a pile of opinions.

And since, according to you, all of them are equal, then all should be equally promoted. So, Bill, when are you going to argue that the "Human Origins" exhibit should necessarily include a descriptions of Hindu, Greek, Norse (etc) origins myths to go along with yours, since they're all equally "just beliefs?"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:00:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Seeing as it takes a great stretch of the imagination to come to the conclusion " God done it" I do not see any reason that divine creation should be considered any more than my new theory of " Aliens grew us in test tubes" (I just made that one up...genius isn't it?)

No matter what genius idea you come up with the statement that the origin of man can, or one day soon, will be explained without any divine creator explanation required is still just your belief and not science.

It makes much more sense to default to " We don't know but we're trying hard to find out"

This is fine but it just highlights the fact that it is your belief that no divine intervention was required for the creation of man/life. Whether you see no evidence for a creator or not it is still just your belief no matter how much you want to dress it up to look like science.

If you can't tell the difference between a belief system and science that is in progress then I don't know what to tell ya.

In science we know it while in a belief system we believe it. It is your belief that divine intervention was not required for the creation of man/life but you do not know this.

(thats all I've got)

Me too

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:02:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welp. Nothing like some Billisms to get the day of my colonoscopy started. Took my mind off my current misery for a while...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:10:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

We don't have faith, Bill. You do.

Great. So now you have no faith in your beliefs while I have faith in my beliefs.

And since, according to you, all of them are equal, then all should be equally promoted. So, Bill, when are you going to argue that the "Human Origins" exhibit should necessarily include a descriptions of Hindu, Greek, Norse (etc) origins myths to go along with yours, since they're all equally "just beliefs?"

I have already said that it was my opinion that the federal government should not be in the business of promoting anyone's beliefs on human origins. They should rather take that money and pay some of their outstanding bills with it.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill Scott:
I have already said that it was my opinion that the federal government should not be in the business of promoting anyone's beliefs on human origins.

Way to avoid your central thesis which is that science promotes an atheistic view. It doesn't.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:28:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bill Scott:
I have already said that it was my opinion that the federal government should not be in the business of promoting anyone's beliefs on human origins.

The Smithsonian is not promoting any belief system. It is simply displaying the evidence that has been collected so far.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:38:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Bill Scott:

Way to avoid your central thesis which is that science promotes an atheistic view. It doesn't.

Way to avoid your central thesis which is that science promotes an atheistic view.

I never said that.

It doesn't.

I agree.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bill Scott:

The Smithsonian is not promoting any belief system. It is simply displaying the evidence that has been collected so far.

Then why do the atheists have coronaries over manger settings at the courthouse at Christmas? It's simply displaying evidence for the life and death of the historical man Jesus Christ.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:50:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bill Scott:

Then why do the atheists have coronaries over manger settings at the courthouse at Christmas? It's simply displaying evidence for the life and death of the historical man Jesus Christ.

Because at that point they are promoting a specific belief system.

Is it really that difficult to comprehend the difference between what is a belief and what is not?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  09:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Your belief here is incorrect.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  09:10:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Your belief here is incorrect.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.