Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  12:24:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

15 years ago.
In my dotage, it seems like the blink of an eye.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  13:14:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/07/mass_legislatur.html?p1=News_links

Whether it is a good idea or not is not my issue here. Its the way it is being done. This has to be unconstitutional. The constitution is clear on how our president is elected. It seems to me that they should ammend the constitution and not bypass it but hey thats how progressives work.

Robb, it's clear that you have no idea what the constitution says about how the president is elected (well, after this thread maybe you do, but you didn't when you posted that).

When are you going to turn off the FAUXNews feed? You seem like a smart guy, but how the hell do you get caught up in the lies and delusions of those morons so often?

No way is this law unconstitutional. The states, per the constitution, can assign electors in any manner they decide. How can that be unclear to you?

Conservatard pundits are just pissed because they didn't think of this first, and because they have a history of winning elections while losing the popular vote. They will say or do anything to help keep republicans in power.

When the senate starts debating a change to the filibuster rules here next month, lets see how hard conservitards in congress cry and pitch a fucking fit. I'll even bet you that no one on FAUXNews will remember that they were all in favor of the "nu-cu-lar option" (GOP was going to eliminate the filibuster, back when dems were using it literally 1/10th as much as the repugs are using it now).

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  13:49:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Robb, it's clear that you have no idea what the constitution says about how the president is elected (well, after this thread maybe you do, but you didn't when you posted that).

When are you going to turn off the FAUXNews feed? You seem like a smart guy, but how the hell do you get caught up in the lies and delusions of those morons so often?
Whatever Dude. I have grown tired of your insults and hostility. I do not talk like this to you, is it too much to ask for you to do the same for me? I don't know why you would want to talk to a racist, bigot, moronic, irrational, delusional, mentally sick and child abusive person like myself anyway. (These are all the things you have called me over the years). May God bless you Dude.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  14:31:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're just pissed that you got caught up in the conservitard lies, brought them here, and were corrected. The constitution is unambiguous with it's description of how states assign electors, and a 5 minute internet search would have led you to truth.

Instead you are here posting "MA TO SUBVERT CONSTITUTION! OHH NOOESS!" Then adding some bullshit about how that's "just how progressives work".

Do you seriously expect to be treated with respect when you do this?

racist, bigot, moronic, irrational, delusional, mentally sick and child abusive person

When you post nonsense, especially racist, bigoted, irrational, and delusional nonsense, you can expect to be referred to by those descriptors.

So really, you are in here, down hard on progressives, accusing them of subverting the constitution based entirely on your own ignorance and misinformation! I think you are lucky to have recieved the mild rebukes that you have.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  18:31:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You're just pissed that you got caught up in the conservitard lies, brought them here, and were corrected. The constitution is unambiguous with it's description of how states assign electors, and a 5 minute internet search would have led you to truth.

Instead you are here posting "MA TO SUBVERT CONSTITUTION! OHH NOOESS!" Then adding some bullshit about how that's "just how progressives work".

Do you seriously expect to be treated with respect when you do this?

racist, bigot, moronic, irrational, delusional, mentally sick and child abusive person

When you post nonsense, especially racist, bigoted, irrational, and delusional nonsense, you can expect to be referred to by those descriptors.

So really, you are in here, down hard on progressives, accusing them of subverting the constitution based entirely on your own ignorance and misinformation! I think you are lucky to have recieved the mild rebukes that you have.

Ya know Dude it's clear that you have no respect for people. You have said here that people deserve ridicule just because they have beliefs or idea's different than yours. You feel people of lesser intelligence are deserving of ridicule because of that. That is elementary age stuff and not the character of a real man. People deserve respect because they are human beings period. I have said things here I regret at times but I hope that I try to treat people with respect. I fear in your old age you may regret the way you treated people.

I absolutely expect some more ridicule and hate from you because of this post but I ask you again as grown men to treat me and others with decency.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  21:13:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb said:
You have said here that people deserve ridicule just because they have beliefs or idea's different than yours.

If that's what you think then you have not been paying much attention.

What I've said is that if you persist in thinking false things to be true, after all the evidence has been given to you for why you are wrong, then ridicule is an acceptable method of dealing with anything you have to say after that point.

Lets not pretend that this is the first time you have jumped in here with some conservitard "news" item without even pretending to examine the issue first.

You feel people of lesser intelligence are deserving of ridicule because of that.

First, I have said many times in here that the word "intelligence" is more or less useless in any serious conversation unless you are looking at something very specific. As an overall quality it is not a good term. Again, I think ridicule is appropriate when dealing with people who remain willfully ignorant.

People deserve respect because they are human beings period.

Nonsense. Respect is earned. If it isn't then there is no point to it. Don't pretend that you respect all people, or you will be guilty of the sin of lying.

I absolutely expect some more ridicule and hate from you because of this post but I ask you again as grown men to treat me and others with decency.

Clearly I have offended you. But where is your consideration for me? Have I not made it clear that I find willful ignorance and blind stupidity offensive? When you trot in here and make totally uninformed accusations about progressives backed up with a factually wrong conclusion about this new MA state law, you are behaving in an extremely offensive manner.

You could have saved yourself some trouble, and maybe some stress, by taking the time to actually learn what the UC Constitution has to say about how states assign electors before you decided to post your made up "news" story and your hateful little screed about progressives.

You, Robb, set the "tone" of this thread. Deal with it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  21:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Robb said:
People deserve respect because they are human beings period.

Nonsense. Respect is earned. If it isn't then there is no point to it.
This is the crux of our disagreement, you think people have no value unless they can earn your respect (whatever your requirements are). I believe people have value and worthy of respect because they are people no matter what they do or say.

Don't pretend that you respect all people, or you will be guilty of the sin of lying.
I said I try to respect all people. I never said I did respect all people. I even admitted I have said things here that I regret, that were not respectful. I hold that belief and at times I do not live up to it. That does not mean I do not believe it.

I ask you again as grown men to treat me and others with decency. Do you have the character to do that?

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  01:12:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Clearly I have offended you. But where is your consideration for me? Have I not made it clear that I find willful ignorance and blind stupidity offensive? When you trot in here and make totally uninformed accusations about progressives backed up with a factually wrong conclusion about this new MA state law, you are behaving in an extremely offensive manner.

You could have saved yourself some trouble, and maybe some stress, by taking the time to actually learn what the UC Constitution has to say about how states assign electors before you decided to post your made up "news" story and your hateful little screed about progressives.

Have you not read the thread after the first post? I have admitted that I should not have made the progressive comment and I have said that Dave W could be right (who shares a similar position as yourself) based on what was said in this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  07:30:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Have you not read the thread after the first post? I have admitted that I should not have made the progressive comment and I have said that Dave W could be right (who shares a similar position as yourself) based on what was said in this thread.

Are you reading what you type? You "shouldn't" have posted that, Dave_W "could" be right.... none of that is the appropriate response. You are clearly mistaken on the issue here, just admit it. As for your insults, personally I don't care. It's your hypocrisy that is the problem. If you "shouldn't" have posted something then you "should" be capable of simply retracting it. Instead you are trying to lecture me and tell me I should be nice to you just because! Whatever.

The character issue here is yours Robb. Respect is earned, not given by default. If you personally choose to "respect" everyone by default then it defeats the entire point of the concept. I suspect that you are trying to use the word in a general sense, maybe you mean that everyone deserves to be treated politely? If so, I don't entirely disagree. But when you come in here with false info, act outraged, insult people, and then try to hedge when you are shown to be wrong (Dave_W "could" be right)... don't expect to be treated nicely. At least, not by me.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  08:20:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Commentary:

To both Robb and Dude. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it float. Or something like that...

End commentary.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  09:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I ask you again as grown men to treat me and others with decency. Do you have the character to do that?
I think Dude has been treating you with decency. He's taking the time to explain himself and he's not simply dismissing you with four-letter insults. He's not writing you off as being completely unable to change what he sees as your flaws. Most telling of all, he's not coddling you, which means he respects you enough to treat you like an adult. Yes, he's being directly, gruffly and insultingly critical of you, but Dude doesn't sugarcoat anything for anyone (so far as I've seen), so he's not treating you differently than he treats anyone else.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  02:11:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya know Dude it's clear that you have no respect for people. You have said here that people deserve ridicule just because they have beliefs or idea's different than yours.

No, that's not what he said. Its when people's ideas and beliefs are contrary to truth and evidence that they deserve ridicule. That's quite a different thing than what you believed Dude said. (Note that the quoted paragraph above would qualify as such a statement/belief)

The rest of the conclusions in your post Robb, about Dude's character, are derived from the above mentioned faulty premise, and the conclusions are thus rendered invalid. You should re-evaluate Dude, because I think you've got the wrong idea about him. He is abrasive at times I give you that, but the malice you ascribe him is wrongly placed.

You feel people of lesser intelligence are deserving of ridicule because of that.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  11:24:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Ya know Dude it's clear that you have no respect for people. You have said here that people deserve ridicule just because they have beliefs or idea's different than yours.

No, that's not what he said. Its when people's ideas and beliefs are contrary to truth and evidence that they deserve ridicule. That's quite a different thing than what you believed Dude said. (Note that the quoted paragraph above would qualify as such a statement/belief)

The rest of the conclusions in your post Robb, about Dude's character, are derived from the above mentioned faulty premise, and the conclusions are thus rendered invalid. You should re-evaluate Dude, because I think you've got the wrong idea about him. He is abrasive at times I give you that, but the malice you ascribe him is wrongly placed.

We can all disagree. It is clear that Dude thinks there is a morally acceptable time to ridicule, I do not. But it was fun!

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  00:37:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't this favor conservatives? Massachusetts has gone to the Democratic presidential candidate every election 88-2008 whereas Republicans have won the popular vote twice in those 6 elections.

I would expect this would also drive voter turnout down in the state since votes would mean less -- the election would have to be close enough that the difference in votes in the state would make the difference in the outcome for the state's residents' collective votes to even determine where their electoral votes went. I don't know that this favors either party, but I see it as a negative regardless. (That doesn't mean they can't do it.)

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.