Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  11:48:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I certainly don't. I think he's a cunt. A viscious, nasty, bully with an astoundingly corrupt moral set. If he wasn't a work of fiction I'd be glad they fuckin' crucified the bastard.

Oh how controversial!

Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  15:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I certainly don't. I think he's a cunt. A viscious, nasty, bully with an astoundingly corrupt moral set. If he wasn't a work of fiction I'd be glad they fuckin' crucified the bastard.

Oh how controversial!

Ooh, How Larry Grayson! Shut that door!

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  15:28:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
welshdean.....

Larry Grayson! The queen of closet comics!

Why was I given this information? OFFC seems like a nice boy.
What a gay day, welshdean!
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  19:40:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does she remove herself from the company of men when she menstruates? If not, she's a hypocrite about her "biblical beliefs" and a homophobic bigot. Toss her ass out and lock the door.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  21:54:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. I finally got around to this thread. Sheesh!

Anyhow, this seems pretty cut and dry to me. If she can't or will not perform the duties she is being taught to perform in accordance with the ethical and moral standards that are incumbent upon her to follow as a school counselor, and she has stated that she will not if they violate her religious convictions, she's out.

This is not about religious discrimination even though she and her lawyers want it to be. It's about her being fit to be a school councilor and following an ethical and moral standard that is incumbent upon her to follow if she wants to be a school councilor. It's as simple as that.

Her religious convictions are not at issue here. This is about her willingness to follow a standard that being a school councilor demands while she is on the job. It really doesn't matter what reason she gives for not being willing to adhere to the demands of the job she is training for. She doesn't get to make up new rules to accommodate her views. Her lawsuit is frivolous.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  04:35:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lol, I'm so glad that we are past the days when being likened to a flamboyant homosexual was considered an insult.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  08:45:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Lol, I'm so glad that we are past the days when being likened to a flamboyant homosexual was considered an insult.
I hear you...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  10:33:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OFFC and Kil.....

I don't know if you ever watched his show, but Larry Grayson was a gentle, kind man whose outrageous onstage persona was a real hoot!

He was a great entertainer and by all accounts, his personal life was not one of flamboyant exhibitionism. He was popular during the time I lived in England, and was truly a outstanding comedian!

My comments to Welshdean were intended to simply evoke memories of some of Grayson's famous catchphrases and in no way did I mean to offend any of OFFC's religious sensibilities. My phrasing was apparently ill-advised and I apologize to OFFC for any perceived affront to his belief's that my "nice boy" (Grayson's famous quip} may have caused.

However, I must state that homophobia is antithetical to my core values and I do not equate Grayson's flaunting the male homosexual stereotype with homophobic vilification, whether such derogation stems from religious conviction or merely abysmal ignorance. Larry Grayson mocking a gay man was to me very reminiscent of Red Skelton parodying a drunk. Both were hilarious primarily because they were both poking fun at themselves very publicly. The fantastic showman Liberace perfected the art of self-parody, portraying an over-the-top gay entertainer while vigorously denying his own homosexuality (which was evident to any sophisticated observer of his career and person. I had the pleasure of meeting him in Las Vegas once, and I can attest that he was a delightfully personable and humorous gay man)

OFFC, I sincerely wish you truly meant those words. Doctrinaire religious homophobia in an era where homosexuality has clearly been demonstrated as a normal variation of sexual orientation and in no way anomalous, is a demonstration of ignorance. I personally would be complemented to be compared to a man of the talent stature of Larry Grayson.

Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  02:08:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To whom it may concern:
For the record, I mentioned Larry Grayson simply because OFFC said "Oh, how controversial". I never even considered sexuality, heterosexual, homosexual, bi-sexual or indeed as I consider myself, tri-sexual. I was simply reminded of LGrayson by the phraseology of OFFC comment.
I think that to imply that I or bngbuck meant anything other than that is a failing on your parts!

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  02:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Yeah, but Halfmooner...she's totally hot!

Nah, she's blonde to start with. But if you duct-tape her mouth so I don't have to hear any christian doctrine...

She makes me think of a right wing christian conservative hate-mongerer/pundit (who's name I don't feel like mentioning), and that leaves a bitter taste.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  09:01:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by welshdean

To whom it may concern:
For the record, I mentioned Larry Grayson simply because OFFC said "Oh, how controversial". I never even considered sexuality, heterosexual, homosexual, bi-sexual or indeed as I consider myself, tri-sexual. I was simply reminded of LGrayson by the phraseology of OFFC comment.
I think that to imply that I or bngbuck meant anything other than that is a failing on your parts!
Oh give me a break. I accept that I misunderstood but I don't consider a misunderstanding a "failing on [my] part." Thanks for clarifying.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

jakesteele

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  23:15:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jakesteele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Take a look at this young woman's story.http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/27/georgia-university-tells-student-lose-religion-lawsuit-claims/?test=faces

"[Augusta State University] faculty have promised to expel Miss Keeton from the graduate Counselor Education Program not because of poor academic showing or demonstrated deficiencies in clinical performance, but simply because she has communicated both inside and outside the classroom that she holds to Christian ethical convictions on matters of human sexuality and gender identity," the 43-page lawsuit reads.

While I wholeheartedly disagree with her position on homosexuality I also don't think it's right to expell the girl because of it. Besides, she's a pretty girl and I think pretty girls should be able to get away with everything.

I agree with you on that. I saw nothing to indicate that she would be cruel, mean, vindictive or anything else bad. If she is your average counselor, she would be dealing with student problems in general, not specifically focused on sexual orientation. As part of being a professional a counselor is objective. What happens when she counsels liberals? Is she to biased because she's a conservative? Does she need to go to deprogramming/reprogramming clinic for reorientation? What if you're a liberal counseling conservatives?

The irony is that the school is being even more bigoted than they are accusing her of being. Besides, some of the students she'd be helping would probably be Christians with the same beliefs as her. Are they supposed to be banned from getting counseling because they are intolerant of homosexuality?

I think she should sue 'em all and let God sort it out.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hamburgers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.