Religion
 Dan the "debunker" is at it again...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  13:05:00  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stereotypes and strawmen galore here.

Especially in this comment.

This time, he seems to have a new friend to help: Stormbringer.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  05:59:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stormbringer said one thing that made me thinking:
If there's no Creator, do what you will shall be the whole of the law. But if there IS a Creator, he makes the rules and you'd better find out what he has to say.

For anyone out there with a psychology degree:
Isn't this the kind of reasoning one expects from a sociopath?
I do what the hell I want as long as I can get away with it. I only choose not to do bad things because of fear of the guy with the big stick...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  06:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

If there's no Creator, do what you will shall be the whole of the law. But if there IS a Creator, he makes the rules and you'd better find out what he has to say.

I do what the hell I want as long as I can get away with it. I only choose not to do bad things because of fear of the guy with the big stick...

You guys around here seem to see a sociopath in everyone!

What I get out of that statement is something different and a point that I would love to argue with a theist.
Even if I would give in on the point of there being a creator what makes this creator someone that needs to be worshipped? What is to say this creator is watching every human being all of the time? I don't get that whole step in the logic of a theist.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  07:30:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone4rock:

I am not a sociopath!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  08:05:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I think it's a colloquial use of "sociopath." People who only behave well because they fear punishment are dangerous. If they forget their fear for a moment, they may very well act in a sociopathic manner (note the adjective form). So in one sense, it's good that these sorts of people have religion to reign them in. But I would much rather see them get proper treatment for their antisocial tendencies, which won't happen until religion stops being recognized by mental health professionals as a legitimate excuse.
What I get out of that statement is something different and a point that I would love to argue with a theist.
Even if I would give in on the point of there being a creator what makes this creator someone that needs to be worshipped? What is to say this creator is watching every human being all of the time? I don't get that whole step in the logic of a theist.
It's a simple, unstated and unsupported assumption: if there is A creator, it will be the one described in the Bible. Thus the false (in more ways than one) dichotomy of hedonistic lawlessness on the one hand, or Yahweh's childish demands on the other.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  08:39:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a simple, unstated and unsupported assumption: if there is A creator, it will be the one described in the Bible. Thus the false (in more ways than one) dichotomy of hedonistic lawlessness on the one hand, or Yahweh's childish demands on the other.

Aren't there any religious folks that visit here so we could discuss this? I would just love to be able to calmly discuss this with one.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:26:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Aren't there any religious folks that visit here so we could discuss this?
I don't think there are any religious people here with that particular attitude.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:39:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Aren't there any religious folks that visit here so we could discuss this?
I don't think there are any religious people here with that particular attitude.

Lets find some then!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  06:22:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what is this?

I don't even....

A circle is a shape consisting of those points in a plane which are equidistant from a given point called the center.

If you take the center square (white) and go in any direction on that grid (black) it will be one pixel from the center no matter what black you are on, The radius is equal so it satisfies the definition of a circle.

The infinity square also satisfies the definition of a circle.

I will stand by the fact that square circles exist, and so does God.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 08/08/2010 06:25:14
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  07:32:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Looks like a variation of Pascal's Gambit to me. I especally enjoyed this post from Stormbringer:
"I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me! . . No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

— Thomas Paine's dying words

Stormy, yer a lying sack of shit! The final hours of Thomas Paine passed thus:
He died almost alone. The moment he died Christians commenced manufacturing horrors for his deathbed. They had his chamber fill with devils rattling chains, and these ancient lies are annually certified to by the respectable Christians of the present day. The truth is, he died as he had lived. Some ministers were impolite enough to visit him against his will. Several of them he ordered from his room. A couple of Catholic priest, in all the meekness of hypocrisy, called that they might enjoy the agonies of a dying friend of man. Thomas Paine, rising in his bed, the few embers of expiring life blown into flame by the breath of indignation, had the goodness to curse them both. His physician, who seems to have been a meddling fool, just as the cold hand of death was touching the patriot?s heart, whispered in the dull ear of the dying man: "Do you believe, or do you wish to believe, that Jesus Christ is the son of God?" And the reply was: "I have no wish to believe on that subject."

These were the last remembered words of Thomas Paine. He died as serenely as ever a Christian passed away. He died in the full possession of his mind, and on the very brink and edge of death proclaimed the doctrines of his life.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  08:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Looks like a variation of Pascal's Gambit to me. I especally enjoyed this post from Stormbringer:
"I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me! . . No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

Where did that dying quote come from? I got a different version of it here.
An excerpt
He died almost alone. The moment he died Christians commenced manufacturing horrors for his death-bed. They had his chamber filled with devils rattling chains, and these ancient lies are annually certified to by the respectable Christians of the present day. The truth is, he died as he lived. Some ministers were impolite enough to visit him against his will. Several of them he ordered from his room. A couple of Catholic priests, in all the meekness of hypocrisy, called that they might enjoy the agonies of a dying friend of man. Thomas Paine, rising in his bed, the few embers of expiring life blown into flame by the breath of indignation, had the goodness to curse them both. His physician, who seems to have been a meddling fool, just as the cold hand of death was touching the patriot's heart, whispered in the dull ear of the dying man: "Do you believe, or do you wish to believe, that Jesus Christ is the son of God?" And the reply was "I have no wish to believe on that subject."

These were the last remembered words of Thomas Paine. He died as serenely as ever a Christian passed away. He died in the full possession of his mind, and on the brink and edge of death he proclaimed the doctrines of his life.

Do we dare think there maybe three? SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  09:25:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Wow, what is this?

I don't even....

A circle is a shape consisting of those points in a plane which are equidistant from a given point called the center.

If you take the center square (white) and go in any direction on that grid (black) it will be one pixel from the center no matter what black you are on, The radius is equal so it satisfies the definition of a circle.

The infinity square also satisfies the definition of a circle.

I will stand by the fact that square circles exist, and so does God.

Dan doesn't even understand what "squaring the circle" is all about. It's that with nothing more than a compass and a straight-edge, you cannot construct a square with the same area as an already-drawn circle. It has nothing to do with finding something which meets some definition of "square" and "circle" simultaneously.

Pixellating the plane just removes fidelity, since the unit circle (as described) will have an area of 5 pixels, instead of 3.14 pixels. Removing fidelity allows one to claim that something vaguely circle-like matches something vaguely square-like, but doesn't meet the construction requirement of the problem. And an "infinity square," which I suppose is a square that's infinitely large, cannot be constructed, even in principle.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  10:05:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They seem to think that everyone is a sociopath (in that manner), including themselves. This however does not mean they are a sociopath. It is their misguided sense of where morality comes from that causes such thought, but one need not understand the origins morality to be moral.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:10:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by filthy

Where did that dying quote come from? I got a different version of it here.
An excerpt
He died almost alone. The moment he died Christians commenced manufacturing horrors for his death-bed. They had his chamber filled with devils rattling chains, and these ancient lies are annually certified to by the respectable Christians of the present day. The truth is, he died as he lived. Some ministers were impolite enough to visit him against his will. Several of them he ordered from his room. A couple of Catholic priests, in all the meekness of hypocrisy, called that they might enjoy the agonies of a dying friend of man. Thomas Paine, rising in his bed, the few embers of expiring life blown into flame by the breath of indignation, had the goodness to curse them both. His physician, who seems to have been a meddling fool, just as the cold hand of death was touching the patriot's heart, whispered in the dull ear of the dying man: "Do you believe, or do you wish to believe, that Jesus Christ is the son of God?" And the reply was "I have no wish to believe on that subject."

These were the last remembered words of Thomas Paine. He died as serenely as ever a Christian passed away. He died in the full possession of his mind, and on the brink and edge of death he proclaimed the doctrines of his life.

Do we dare think there maybe three? SS
Eh, they did the same thing to Darwin when he died. They continue to claim his deathbed conversion today, although it's been some time since I've busted creationist hump over it. I miss that....

The thing is, they have an audience that will believe anything if the speaker has a backwards collar or the equivalent: a suit and tie, and a big, pious mouth filled with sanctimonious misinformatIon & outright crap. Lying and denial of history as well as science is second nature to these scumbags and their Scripture-blinded acolytes.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds.