Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  11:47:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Every spring a group of us plant trees on some conservation land that my family owns. In the past ten years we have planted approximately 30,000 trees.

How many volcanoes do you think that offset? Just curious.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  12:02:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

So global warming is a myth, huh?
Caroline Alphonso, Toronto

From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Published on Wednesday, Jul. 28, 2010 1:04PM EDT

Last updated on Wednesday, Jul. 28, 2010 10:36PM EDT

.Microscopic phytoplankton that form the foundation of the marine food chain are declining, according to a new Canadian study that indicates that the ocean’s ecosystem and fisheries could be changing.

Researchers at Dalhousie University conducted the first global study of the populations of these microscopic organisms in the past century and found the declines – averaging about 1 per cent a year, and approximately 40 per cent since 1950 – are correlated with increases in sea surface temperatures. The study, a three-year analysis, is being published Thursday in the journal Nature.

“What we’re looking at is the planet changing, and I think it’s always hard to figure out a cause and effect of that, and what those implications are,” said Curtis Suttle, a professor of earth and ocean sciences at the University of British Columbia. “Undoubtedly, that does have implications in terms of how oceanic food webs are structured, and that could have impacts on fisheries.”

Phytoplankton act as the grass of the ocean and form the base of the aquatic food chain. The organisms live at the surface of the water, and are the main source of food for zooplankton, which in turn form the diet of fish and other sea creatures that are eaten by the bigger fish, large whales and humans that occupy the top of the food chain.

Phytoplankton are also major sources of oxygen to the atmosphere.

As the Phytoplankton goes, so go we. Little things mean a lot, eh?

Speaking of hot air have you seen the latest on Al Gore? Whoever coined the term "party like a rock star" is not giving Al his due credit. And here we thought slick willy was the lavish one all along. Al's decadence is becoming legendary. Private stretch lemo's, private gulf stream jets, private luxury house boats with his/her jet skies in tow, private electric bills that could power a small town all for a house he hardly visits, endless steak and lobster buffets, countless trysts with his private massage therapists etc... etc.... I have to admit he is really causing me to consider converting over to the green lifestyle. It's better then partying like a rock star.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  12:21:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And before all the posts hit let me try and be just a little ahead of the curve here. I know and I am sorry but as the poster child for AGW he just makes such an irresistible target. It's akin to appointing Chris Farley or John Belushi as spokesman for a positive health and well being campaign.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

ooh_child

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  12:32:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ooh_child a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And before all the posts hit let me try and be just a little ahead of the curve here. I know and I am sorry but as the poster child for AGW he just makes such an irresistible target. It's akin to appointing Chris Farley or John Belushi as spokesman for a positive health and well being campaign.

I was warned.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  13:11:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeap.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  13:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of hot air have you seen the latest on Al Gore? Whoever coined the term "party like a rock star" is not giving Al his due credit. And here we thought slick willy was the lavish one all along. Al's decadence is becoming legendary. Private stretch lemo's, private gulf stream jets, private luxury house boats with his/her jet skies in tow, private electric bills that could power a small town all for a house he hardly visits, endless steak and lobster buffets, countless trysts with his private massage therapists etc... etc.... I have to admit he is really causing me to consider converting over to the green lifestyle. It's better then partying like a rock star.
Seriously Bill, why should I care?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  13:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by filthy

FAITH has nothing to do with the science. It is the evidence only that counts. Thus far, virtually all of that evidence is in favor of gradually, or not-so-gradually, geologically speaking, rising, global temperatures. Give me some reliable evidence to the contrary, and I'll give all due consideration.

Oh, and I think the peer-reviewed Journal Nature is a pretty reliable, scientific publication.

I dunno Filthy, The way I see it is that it requires faith to conclude
satellite-derived phytoplankton concentration (available since 1979) have suggested decadal-scale fluctuations linked to climate forcing
based on
but the length of this record is insufficient to resolve longer-term trends

It seems that I'm so skeptical that I'm skeptical about skepticism.

Be careful in your reading, Ebone4Rock. The article hasn't estimated the phytoplankton concentrations from the satellite record which is available from 1978(you can read the abstract in Dave's link), but from other data which goes back to 1899. This data is sufficient to draw conclusions on long-term trends.

Also, on your comment on a three-year research, this is the time span the researchers worked on it. Their data covers a bit more than 100 years. Similarly to my own research, where as a PhD-student I will have four years to complete it, but I'm using data already collected over a 30-year period.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  13:24:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be careful in your reading, Ebone4Rock. The article hasn't estimated the phytoplankton concentrations from the satellite record which is available from 1978(you can read the abstract in Dave's link), but from other data which goes back to 1899. This data is sufficient to draw conclusions on long-term trends.

Also, on your comment on a three-year research, this is the time span the researchers worked on it. Their data covers a bit more than 100 years. Similarly to my own research, where as a PhD-student I will have four years to complete it, but I'm using data already collected over a 30-year period.

Understood. I have seen the error in my logic. Unfortunately the link that Dave provided requires a $32 subscription fee so I will not be reading it.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  13:30:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would be glad to but I'm too cheap to pay the $32 they want to access the article.
And:
BTW Dave, I am pretty confident that I would not be able to find inconsistencies in the article. You would not offer the challenge to me if you were not right.

Both you and Kil have a way of putting me in my place when I'm talking like a sausage without being overly insulting which is why I respect you guys.
Well, to be honest, my "challenge" was just a bet on my part that you hadn't actually read the article and instead were basing your conclusions on what you'd read in the Globe and Mail summary of it that filthy linked to. I haven't paid the $32, either. There could very well be inconsistencies in it and missing data, but I doubt it would have survived peer review for Nature with such problems.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  13:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to be honest, my "challenge" was just a bet on my part that you hadn't actually read the article and instead were basing your conclusions on what you'd read in the Globe and Mail summary of it that filthy linked to.

Am I that transparent Dave?

A lesson I learned with this excercize is that mass media outlets cannot be trusted to give complete and accurate information therefore I should not base my opinion strictly on them. I should use them as a guide to help find the complete and accurate information.

Just another example of " The more I learn the less I know".

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  14:11:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Am I that transparent Dave?
Imagine my embarrassment had you come back with quotes and page numbers, because you had (unknown to me) institutional access to Nature for your job or just through a college library. Then, I'd be out $32 'cause I'd have to go read the whole thing, too.
A lesson I learned with this excercize is that mass media outlets cannot be trusted to give complete and accurate information therefore I should not base my opinion strictly on them. I should use them as a guide to help find the complete and accurate information.
That's what I was saying in my first comment.
Just another example of " The more I learn the less I know".
Testify, brother!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  14:45:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Al Gore is not a "spokesman" or "poster child" for anything. GW a personal cause he decided to take up of his own accord. Nobody elected him to do anything and however he spends his time is up to him. He's totally irrelevant. His name never even comes up in any of the GW warming discussions I've been a part of. About the only people who seem to focus on Gore or how he spends his time are moronic conservatives. So, go ahead, Bill. Keep sticking it to Al! The rest of us will just go on continuing to not give a shit about the guy and focusing on the relevant science. You may think Gore is an easy target, but in fact shooting for him is totally missing the mark. So continue to waste your time carping on Al, just don't expect the adults in the room to see you as anything other than a clueless buffoon.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/30/2010 14:54:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.