Baguio, waiting for the deluge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  23:45:02  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baguio City was designed as one of the world's first modern planned cities. In 1904, the famed American architect Daniel Burnham laid out the plans for a beautiful colonial mountain city of 25,000 to be built around a central "green" park. It was to be a small city elevated above the sweltering tropical lowlands, designed to highlight the finest of American colonial taste and ingenuity. It was a truly lovely plan. And it worked, for a time.

Bronze bust of Daniel Burnham, in Burnham Park, Baguio.

Aside from the park and its lake, you'd hardly notice any signs of Daniel Burnham's design today. Baguio now has a population of over 450,000, jammed onto almost every precarious mountainside and into every sodden valley swamp. The streets are gridlocked with jeepneys, buses, taxis, trucks, private cars and motorcycles.

As I have mentioned previously, August is the historically wettest month of the year in this tropical mountain city. A torrential 1160.8 millimeters (45.701 inches) of rain can be expected each August, give or take a bit. In fact, the Tagalog word, bagyo was coined as a term meaning "typhoon" after a tropical cyclone spilled 660.4 mm. (46 inches) in 24 hours on Baguio, back in 1911.

Hillside homes now in Baguio.

Between desperation for living space, unsafe geology and official corruption, homes have been and still are being built upon dangerous, mudslide-prone mountainsides. I took the above photos yesterday.

Last year, over 160 people were killed in Baguio and nearby communities by mudslides.

Mudslides in 2009.

The City Camp barangay of Baguio flooded in 2009, as always happens when the drainage tunnel from that district to the formerly lovely Crystal Cave is blocked by trash and debris.

City Camp, Baguio in 2009.

The "lessons" of last year, like the lessons of the Luzon Earthquake 20 years ago, have been learned by locals, but have not been acted upon. Entire hillsides seem to be just itching to slide downward again, carrying homes and people with them.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/03/2010 03:08:40

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  06:04:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what's the topography like right above you? Are you near a ridge or on a steep grade? SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  20:03:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

So what's the topography like right above you? Are you near a ridge or on a steep grade? SS
It's quite steep (though not precipitous like in my photos) here, but it's very well drained. There is just one house that is further back from the street behind me, and of course many houses up the street above me.

I take it as a good sign that there haven't been slides in the past right here. Also, as a rule of thumb, muddy water running down the street during a heavy rain is a sign that earth is eroding. The water right here runs clear from both up-street and from the house behind me, even during deluges. I have seen no mud at all.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.