Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  04:15:48  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this story.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/08/03/exclusive-peta-takes-aim-kristy-lee-cooks-hunting-shoots/?test=faces

"Given that hunters have done more for American wildlife conservation than any other group in history, I make no apology for being one,"

Thoughts?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  05:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sabretooth, giant sloth, giant armadillo, mammoths, mastadons, camels, antelopes, giant deer, giant bison, oxen, glyptodonts, american horse, giant beaver, american cheetah, sea cow, nene-nui, moa-nalos, goff's pocket gopher, Louisianna vole, badlands bighorn, colorado hog-nosed skunk, arizona jaguar, eastern elk, cascade mountain wolf and passenger pigeon beg to differ.(I guess I'll do it on their behalf)

Nice try though.

Naturally I didnt list them all, I aint got all day.
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 08/06/2010 05:33:32
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  05:42:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

The sabretooth, giant sloth, giant armadillo, mammoths, mastadons, camels, antelopes, giant deer, giant bison, oxen, glyptodonts, american horse, giant beaver, american cheetah, sea cow, nene-nui, moa-nalos, goff's pocket gopher, Louisianna vole, badlands bighorn, colorado hog-nosed skunk, arizona jaguar, eastern elk, cascade mountain wolf and passenger pigeon beg to differ.(I guess I'll do it on their behalf)

Nice try though.

The examples you give are animals from a time when conservation was not thought of. In those days the hunters just killed everything they came into contact with. Nowadays hunting and conservation go hand-in-hand. Today's hunters are more than just animal killers. They are the ones who actively participate in both animal and habitiat conservation. Come to my neck of the woods and I will show a healthy ecosystem teeming with both game animals and apex predators all due to the efforts of the DNR along with the efforts the hunters.
I wish more hunters looked like Kristi Lee Cook though.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  08:05:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see what you did there! Maybe you should preface with "In the last 40 years", who are the hunters protecting the animals from usually? Other hunters.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  08:13:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not saying that some protion of the modern hunting community isnt doing it's part, however the self-satisfaction is a bit much considering the nature of the beast. It's a bit oxymoronic and offensive.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  08:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not saying that some protion of the modern hunting community isnt doing it's part, however the self-satisfaction is a bit much considering the nature of the beast. It's a bit oxymoronic and offensive.

I'm really not following you. Please elaborate.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  09:18:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, it like BP seeking praise for it's industry leading oil cleaning measures.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  09:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ok, it like BP seeking praise for it's industry leading oil cleaning measures.

These two subjects are not at all comparable IMHO. Still not quite following the logic.
I am interested in reading about why you oppose hunting though.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  09:59:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

That is strange, I don't recall saying anything even remotely close to that.

I oppose the notion that hunters are the greatest thing to ever happen to animals as your "thoughts" requesting quote bubble suggests..
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 08/06/2010 10:00:54
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  10:11:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That is strange, I don't recall saying anything even remotely close to that.

I oppose the notion that hunters are the greatest thing to ever happen to animals as your "thoughts" requesting quote bubble suggests..

Ok, a good example of how I wasn't following you. Now I get your point.

In my state at least the combination of resource management by the DNR,a strong hunter education system, strict licensing, stiff penalties for breaking hunting laws, and a great deal of effort on the part of the hunting community have help the animal population flourish in the last century.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  10:29:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet you ignore the fact that if those strict licensing and stiff penalties were not in place, hunters would still be killing off species, you are protecting the animals from yourselves.

I guess Im just annoyed at the sugar-coating. You cannot ignore the negative sides of your passion, the commercial and pointless sporting sides of hunting are legitimate threats to any species deemed valuable for whatever reason.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  10:46:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I guess Im just annoyed at the sugar-coating. You cannot ignore the negative sides of your passion, the commercial and pointless sporting sides of hunting are legitimate threats to any species deemed valuable for whatever reason.

I am not familiar with any commercial or pointless hunting that occurs here. We hunt to eat. Sure you'll get some jerk-offs poaching but it's really not a significant problem. All in all I feel that there is a good relationship between the DNR and the general public. We help each other manage the resources.
Again I am speaking only of my state.

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  11:40:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Ebone.....and I don't hunt.

I see what BigPapa is getting at....hunters protecting animals from unregulated hunting.....which seems oxymoronic to him...but what other option is there? No Hunting? Hah!

I'd MUCH rather see hunting grow and these massive chicken/cow farms (etc...) shrink. It's not like we are going to suddenly stop eating meat.

This (for some reason) reminds me a pacifism. The pacifists think for some strange reason that they are on the moral high ground. I personally find them/it to be a highly unethical position to take.....considering the reality we live in.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  11:55:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

This (for some reason) reminds me a pacifism. The pacifists think for some strange reason that they are on the moral high ground. I personally find them/it to be a highly unethical position to take.....considering the reality we live in.

Pacifists piss me off. I would like to kick their assses but they are no fun to fight because they just sit there and take it.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  13:48:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In my state at least the combination of resource management by the DNR,a strong hunter education system, strict licensing, stiff penalties for breaking hunting laws, and a great deal of effort on the part of the hunting community have help the animal population flourish in the last century.
Really, it sounds like "hunters have done more for American wildlife conservation than any other group in history" only because they've been forced to by the government, depending on whether or not that "great deal of effort on the part of the hunting community" was larger in scope and effect than all the other stuff you listed.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:00:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Really, it sounds like "hunters have done more for American wildlife conservation than any other group in history" only because they've been forced to by the government, depending on whether or not that "great deal of effort on the part of the hunting community" was larger in scope and effect than all the other stuff you listed.

Alright, I challenge all of the naysayers to come visit. Within moments of talking to a group of hunters you will realize the passion the majority of us have for both the environment and the wildlife.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.