A righteous stupidity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  03:16:38  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I applaud the motivation, I am saddened by the deed. It was uncalled for and, well, stupid with predictable results.
Man attempts drive-by pepper-spraying of Westboro Baptists at funeral

By Daniel Tencer
Sunday, August 29th, 2010 -- 3:13 pm

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church have angered many over their practice of picketing soldiers' funerals with signs that read "God hates fags."

But few of the church members who protested at the funeral of Marine Staff Sgt. Michael Bock in Omaha, Nebraska, on Saturday could have expected a passing driver to attempt pepper-spraying them.

CNN reports it happened on Saturday morning at around 10 a.m., outside the First United Methodist Church.

The key word here is: "attempts." What a pity that he missed, and now his ass is up Shit Creek. You just know that the scumbag Family Phelps is gonna sue him, on top of the legal charges he now faces.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  10:59:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am all for free speech but I would support a law regarding protests at funerals. Also, the guy in the truck deserves to get arrested. That was just plain stupid.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  12:20:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I don't condone violence against the Phelps-clan, if there are no wittnesess and other incriminating evidence...

Let's just say that they have been collecting bad karma for quite a while now.

That was just plain stupid.
Yeah, getting caught was stupid. And bad aiming didn't help either.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/30/2010 12:22:31
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  03:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the main differences between "normal" citizens and habitual criminals, I understand, is that most of us grow up to have pretty good impulse control. I suppose most of us allow ourselves to contemplate "righteous" violent acts against those who clearly deserve them, but (except in the emergent extremes of self-defense or the defense of others) we restrain ourselves from actually carrying out violence.

I myself occasionally love to fantasize about doling out justice like a superhero. In the bad old days many decades ago, there were a few months when I got carried away and behaved like a mild version of De Niro'S "Taxi Driver." But, before anything terrible happened, I eventually realized that the direction I was taking was dangerous. (In fact, it was seeing Taxi Driver itself that made me come to my senses.)

Nobody's qualified to be a vigilante. Even the purest motivations are insufficient to prevent "street justice" from becoming injustice. Vigilantism is anathema to an orderly society. It can't be permitted.

Perhaps concerned citizens should organize anti-vigilante patrols. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.