Hey, four-eyes!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  12:19:09  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The larvae of the Sunburst Diving Beetle wears the equivelant of bifocals, making me feel a whole lot younger.
The research indicates that their natural bifocals work differently than the ones we get by prescription.

Date: 8/23/2010 12:00:00 AM
By: Dawn Fuller
Phone: (513) 556-1823
Photos By: Annette Stowasser and Elke Buschbeck

University of Cincinnati researchers are reporting on the discovery of a bug with bifocals – such an amazing finding that it initially had the researchers questioning whether they could believe their own eyes. “To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of truly bifocal lenses in the extant animal kingdom,” the researchers state in the Aug. 24 cover feature of the premier life-science journal, Current Biology.

The article is an exploration of two eyes of the larvae of the sunburst diving beetle (Thermonectus marmoratus). The two eyes have the bifocal lens, which the researchers have found in four of the larvae’s 12 eyes, says researcher Elke K. Buschbeck, a UC associate professor of biology.

This, of course, enables them to more efficiently catch delicious mosquito larvae and to study their Bibles more closely.

Oddly enough, or perhaps not, I found the link here.

[quote mine]
If living creatures today are the descendants of intentional creations of God, then one can expect to discover technologies that, as in the case of the beetle bifocals, are superior even to mankind's similar inventions.

The specific design parameters that this team identified as being responsible for this tiny hunter's unique vision were so fine-tuned that even a subtle alteration would jeopardize its ability to see, and therefore endanger its life. Its eyes with all their components and specifications had to have been formed all at once. Only through the lens of creation thinking do wonders like this one make sense.
[/quote mine]

For photos of the beetle, larvae and it's remarkable eyes, open the links. Aquatic insects are amazing and I suspect that further research will turn up yet more species with this same marvelous, evolutionary adaptation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  12:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If living creatures today are the descendants of intentional creations of God, then one can expect to discover technologies that, as in the case of the beetle bifocals, are superior even to mankind's similar inventions.

The bible says that?

ICR says:
But what would lead Stowasser to think she had made a mistake and not expect to see such high design? Is it because the evolution that was inevitably a core element of her education failed to predict novel, exquisite, fully functional organs that could not possibly have been built by iterative small additions?

Could it be because:
“To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of truly bifocal lenses in the extant animal kingdom,” the researchers state in the Aug. 24 cover feature of the premier life-science journal, Current Biology.
?

I would have thought that most people who are able to read would think so.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  12:51:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ICR says:

But what would lead Stowasser to think she had made a mistake and not expect to see such high design? Is it because the evolution that was inevitably a core element of her education failed to predict novel, exquisite, fully functional organs that could not possibly have been built by iterative small additions?

Unsubstantiated claim, but then ICR is good at that. The day they actually back something like this up with empirical evidence, I will donate to the Republicans.

My money is safe....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

daehgnab

22 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  07:38:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send daehgnab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Could it be because:[quote]“To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of truly bifocal lenses in the extant animal kingdom,” the researchers state in the Aug. 24 cover feature of the premier life-science journal, Current Biology.
?

I would have thought that most people who are able to read would think so.

Thank you so much!!!!

It has been shown by the article "A Pessimistic Estimate of the Time Required for an Eye to Evolve" written by Nilsson in 1994 that:"If we assume a generation time of one year, which is common for small and medium-sized aquatic animals, it would take less than 364000 years for a camera eye to evolve from a light-sensitive patch." Well, many insects have a live cycle of only a couple of weeks. Calculate that... No wonder... Hence, from an evolutionary standpoint such oddballs are not impossible, but it is rather extraordinary and highly surprising to be the one person who stumbles across such an oddball of nature.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  08:43:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool bug! Anything that slaughters mosquitoes is a pal of mine.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

daehgnab

22 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  11:11:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send daehgnab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Cool bug! Anything that slaughters mosquitoes is a pal of mine.

They are indeed good pals of yours. One third instar larvae can slaughter over 60 mosquito larvae per day. So, please be kind to them if you see them. They are our dear friends.
Go to Top of Page

daehgnab

22 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  11:21:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send daehgnab a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, some people simply need to grab everything they can find. Don't worry about it. They even didn't read the scientific article before posting it. At least I can't explain the the many mistakes in this posting unless they never had the original article in their hands. It is highly amusing.

Go to Top of Page

daehgnab

22 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  12:17:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send daehgnab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot. Want to have some more fun? Read this:

http://darwins-god.blogspot.com/2010/08/bug-with-bifocals-baffles-biologists.html#comments

Please don't take it serious...:) Not worth it.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  12:44:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by daehgnab

Well, some people simply need to grab everything they can find. Don't worry about it. They even didn't read the scientific article before posting it. At least I can't explain the the many mistakes in this posting unless they never had the original article in their hands. It is highly amusing.

They don't read articles and papers for content, rather for their possibilities for apologetics. And then they lie like an old hound in the summer. They are members of the scientific journals such as Nature and mine them voraciously for anything they can use to bamboozle the faithful.

Around here, we have the whirligig beetle and the water boatman, two mosquito larvae predators, and anything else they can catch, and the water strider, which is primarily a surface scavenger.

Welcome to SFN, daehgnab!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  13:29:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by daehgnab

Oh, I forgot. Want to have some more fun? Read this:

http://darwins-god.blogspot.com/2010/08/bug-with-bifocals-baffles-biologists.html#comments

Please don't take it serious...:) Not worth it.

Yeah, good old Cornelius. He's not even trying any more.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  15:36:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The eye has evolved many times into many forms. there's even a fish called the Barreleye that can see through the top of it's transparent, domed head.

Another incredible eye is the compound one of the mantis shrimp, they can see 360 degrees.

And the humble scallop is far from blind. It has no less than 64 tiny, blue eyes lining it's mantle.

This one is amazing mainly because it was so unexpected, but the creationists and the IDcreationinst are having a lot of mendacious fun with it. That's what keeps skeptics in business.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

daehgnab

22 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  15:36:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send daehgnab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

The larvae of the Sunburst Diving Beetle wears the equivelant of bifocals, making me feel a whole lot younger.
[quote] Aquatic insects are amazing and I suspect that further research will turn up yet more species with this same marvelous, evolutionary adaptation.

Yup. Imaginge if there would be even some related once that have intermediates. Autch. Patience! Those who actually work on this most likely sit in front of their computers, watch (with pleasure) what happens with their story and crack up. Just saying...:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.