A Christian jihad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  03:18:51  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guessed it; it's the TX Board of Education valiantly crusading to turn their schools into pools of ignorance.
Led by a conservative majority, the Texas Board of Education is stepping into the national media furor over a rising tide of anti-Muslim sentiment in the United States, gearing up to vote later this week on whether or not "pro-Islamic bias" should be banned from school books.

Granted, there's not any previously existing "pro-Islamic bias" in Texas texts, nor are there any Muslims on the board of education, let alone in the state's government.

"But the possibility that could happen is a concern for conservative activist Randy Rives. He ran unsuccessfully for State Board of Education this year," reporter Nathan Bernier explained in a recent audio segment for KUT, Austin's public radio station.

"Rives wrote a resolution that was put on the State Board of Education agenda this week by some socially conservative members of the board.

"'There’s a lot of people that think that, and I think rightfully so, that the key to terrorism comes from this jihad philosophy,' Rives said. 'We want to make sure there’s not something in our textbooks to influence our young people’s minds that takes them toward a path we don’t want them to go,' he said. When asked specifically whether he meant jihad, Rives answered, 'Yes.'"

Would someone point out to me the differences between Islamic jihad and the Christian one that has, historically, been ongoing for centuries. I don't see many, if any.
The board's director, Don McLeroy, told Houston news station KHOU that he too is worried Texas history books carry an anti-Christian bent.

"It’s that great idea, that radical idea of Judeo-Christianity, that man is created in the image of God," he reportedly said. "So if you have world history books that downplay Christianity – Judeo-Christianity – and it doesn’t even make it in the table of contents, I think there’s a great concern."

It's history, you halfwit, not Sunday school. It is the recording of events that actually took place, not some half-assed, antique fairy story. The former belongs in the schools; the latter in church/mosque/synagogue.

But I think I see where these twits are coming from. Ken Ham continually pisses and moans about shrinking church attendance and the many young people leaving it entirely when they hit college age, and he is correct. So McLeroy and his morons minions are trying to get 'em young and complete the brainwashing early, thereby stemming the flow at least a little. Or something like that.

I wonder; might it be possible to not only let TX secede, but to encourage it? The state is rapidly becoming steeped in intellectual poverty and, due to the textbook situation, the infection can spread. Indeed, it already has.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  19:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I thought that the Texas board of education was all for teaching both sides of controversies...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  04:46:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The board's director, Don McLeroy, told Houston news station KHOU that he too is worried Texas history books carry an anti-Christian bent.

"It’s that great idea, that radical idea of Judeo-Christianity, that man is created in the image of God," he reportedly said. "So if you have world history books that downplay Christianity – Judeo-Christianity – and it doesn’t even make it in the table of contents, I think there’s a great concern."

Obviously if something doesn't promote christianity then it must therefore be anti-christian.

STFU McLeroy, STFU!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  09:43:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dentist is on his way out, he lost a primary (why do we elect school boards again? I fail to comprehend...) so he is maybe just pushing hard in his last few months to leave a mark.

To bad his mark is going to be an ugly scar on TX education system.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  10:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Texas Textbook Lunacy: California Backlash

ALL of you know about the collective madness that drove the Texas State Board of Education (SBOE) to launch a maniacal assault on science education (especially the theory of evolution) and also on social studies. We weren’t disturbed by some of their conservative political tweaks; but along with the rest of the civilized world we were stunned by their mindless assault on science (see Texas Science Chainsaw Massacre: It’s Over), and on the Enlightenment — typified by their savaging of Thomas Jefferson (see Texas Education: Embracing the Dark Ages).

The Texas SBOE members said they were doing those crazy things to be true to their conservatism; but mandating theocracy and ignorance isn’t conservative — it’s insane. There’s plenty of ideological madness in both political parties, but what happened in Texas was evidence that a deranged theocratic coup has taken control of that state’s Republican party.

After the dust settled, the concern was widely expressed about the size of the Texas textbook market, and the fear that this would influence textbook publishers to provide texts for all states based on the Texas standards. In one post last year (Afterthoughts: the Texas Textbook Travesty) we reported some news we found in the Christian Science Monitor:

Other states are watching closely. A state senate committee in California has passed a bill that would ensure no California textbooks contain any Texas-driven changes.

California has completely rejected the new Texas standards. With a vengeance! That's no small thing because California is the largest purchaser of text books in the country. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, because I'm sure the publishers don't want to have to create lots of versions of their books. On the down side, and not in the above article is the fact that California is strapped for cash and has put off buying new text books until 2014. That provides a window of opportunity for Texas. The question remains, will the text book publishers want to completely revise the textbooks both now and again in 2014? The battle is on!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  11:33:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

And I thought that the Texas board of education was all for teaching both sides of controversies...
They say that it is, but it is not. "Teach the controversy" is nothing more than a backdoor attempt to get the creationism myth into the classroom, where, like a parasitic cuckoo's chick in a marsh wren's nest, it can evict evolution from that classroom. Nothing less will suffice, and they'll shamelessly stoop to any level in the hog sty to accomplish that.

Anyway, as there really is no controversy at all, what else can they do but lie about it to anyone who'll listen, and infiltrate the school boards?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.