The Genesis Code
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  04:27:38  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doin' this'n a little different. This is not my review -- I haven't seen the flick and probably won't -- but one by Dr. Terry Rowland at AiG, who, presumably, has. Link
The recently released movie The Genesis Code, which had a few film showings in Michigan movie houses (and perhaps elsewhere), presents the fictional account of a non-Christian, college hockey player whose mother is in a coma, and an attractive pastor’s daughter who is to interview him for a college newspaper (and soon finds herself attracted to him). Spoiler alert: the hockey player becomes a Christian, his mother comes out of the coma, and the guy and girl end up together.

The real purpose of the movie, however, is to serve as a vehicle to promote the idea that science and the Bible can be reconciled, with particular emphasis on the creation account of Genesis. Of course, operational science (measurable, testable, and observable science) is a “friend” of the Bible, and when properly understood, we can use science to support the historicity of Genesis (see Creation: Science Confirms the Bible Is True). Unfortunately, this movie immediately gets off on the wrong foot by unquestioningly embracing, as indisputable scientific fact, the speculative claims of scientists regarding the age of the universe—that the universe is about 15 billion years old. The movie then tries to startle viewers with the revelation that there is a special “code” hidden in the Book of Genesis that roughly agrees with a long age of the universe.
These turkeys can't keep cheap apologetics out of anything, can they? Read on; it gets even less relevant as it goes.
Dr. Rowland is a dentist in Michigan. He is a graduate of the prestigious University of Michigan Dental School.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:44:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Competing balderdash! Of course, new earth creationists are more than willing to quote old earth creationists if the quote has anything to do with debunking evolution.

And while we actually can directly observe the past by looking at the cosmos, which one of new earth creationists witnessed the seven days of creation? Oh, that's right. It's in the book...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  21:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Dr. Rowland is a dentist in Michigan. He is a graduate of the prestigious University of Michigan Dental School.

Proves he's an expert at pulling things out of somewhere I suppose.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  21:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Anybody read or see Mother Night?

It's the Reverend Dr. Lionel Jones...D.D.S., D.D. I presume you received our complimentary issue...of the White Christian Minuteman.

Are you familiar with my book, Christ Was Not a Jew? In it, I reproduce famous paintings of Christ... and point out that not one of them shows Jewish jaws or teeth.

I had to publish the book myself. But what can you expect when the publishing industry is run by Jews?

It appears that reality is stranger than fiction.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  03:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tw101356

Proves he's an expert at pulling things out of somewhere I suppose.

Yes......

I wonder if he's on a board of education somewhere, like that dentist in TX.
And while we actually can directly observe the past by looking at the cosmos, which one of new earth creationists witnessed the seven days of creation? Oh, that's right. It's in the book...

That's always bothered me a little. How does one trust a book, written by human beings who might or might not have been hallucinating at the time; who might or might not have been working on a religious power-grab, over any others of the age? I am always tempted to ask: "Were you there to observe those authors?"

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/09/2010 03:36:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.